Thread: Techniques: Bucktail

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    ^^^^^ That mustad is a bare hook. Are you pouring your own bucktails? I keep jumping back and forth to favorite hooks. One week I like owner, another week it's dai-ichi. I was using kalins for a while, but they can straighten out when the bass are over 30 lbs. I think you're on the right track if you're targeting bigger bass on bucktails.
    You don't want a whimpy hook, It also depends on how you play the fish. Too many internet surf jockeys post a pic of straightened hooks. It wasn't the fish it was that they had their drag locked down too tight.
    You're absolutely correct jigfreak, the Mustad 34185 is a bare hook. Its also the hook that you will find on most of the better commercially tied bucktails out there.

The Mustad 34185 is not offset however it does have a 60 degree bend in the hook shank. You will find most jig hooks have either a 60 or 90 degree bend in them depending on the mold and jig head style. A 60 degree bend is usually used for jigs that have the eye towards the front of the jig while a 90 degree bend is towards the middle of the jig.

I have started pouring and tying my own bucktails; I needed something to do with the hollow hair found at the bottom 1/3 of the bucktails. It has very little use in fly or teaser tying as it is very bulky but it turns out those hairs make great bucktails.

I agree with you on the Kalins, they are fine if you are targeting weakfish but anything other than that and you risk loosing nice sized fish.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140501_083713.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	18223

Mustad 34185 on Smiling Bill style jig heads...just add bucktail.

I have the range to go up or down a size but the ones above are my preferences.

Dont be afraid to change it up if what your doing isnt working. A good retrieve is a slow steady one bouncing off the bottom, Some times it doesn't work and they want something different. Bucktails make you do the thinking and work. The reward could be a fat bass.

don't know if this was posted but it was pretty awesome. by john skinner

Are you a Henry Ford type of bucktailer?

Henry Ford once said "You can have any color you want as long as its..."

^^^^ Black.
    Yessiir Henry was a great innovator except when it came to color.
    I have fished black bucktails during a new moon, they can be very effective.
    I like bucktails because one size or style does not fit all. The weight and even the shape can be chosen that best fits the situation. Upperrman when you want it to sink a little more slowly. Smiling bill seems to be the bucktail of choice when fishing rocky beaches like montauk. The presentation even differs depending on the bottom. You want to catch fish consistently on bucktails you have to make note of that. Rocks require much more concentration and finesse.

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    How do you like that Kuzia style bucktail jig?
    Someone who pays attention.
    Yes I like the Stan Kuzia style bucktails very much. IMO they have a nice sink rate when fishing deeper water and a nice roll to them.

Since John mentioned them, I thought now would be a good time to talk about the Stan Kuzia type bucktail jigs. Stan was a friend of Stan Gibbs. He's known for the style of bucktail jigs he created which was copied by several makers.

Some more info on that here.....

http://canalbaitandtackle.wordpress....om-stan-kuzia/

Buck Tail Secrets from Stan Kuzia

Posted on December 10, 2011 by Canal Bait and Tackle

I am a very fortunate person because I have had the privilege of growing up and fishing with men and women that are now considered to be legends. These fishermen have taught me a lot of helpful tricks. But, the man that has helped me out the most is Stan Kuzia. Stan comes in the store every day and just schools me on how to fish. He is 88 years old and still is down the Canal every day casting wooden plugs. He doesn’t jig anymore because his shoulders are too weak. But, let me tell you Kuzia has the best casting technique of all time, it is just so smooth and effortless. Conventional or spinning, it doesn’t matter his technique is pristine. Stan might look like much but he is no joke, whatever he has forgotten about fishing in his old age, is more then I will ever know. Kuzia was best friends with the late Stan Gibbs and use to help Gibbs test and design all the custom wooden plugs for the ever popular Gibbs Lures company. As Stan Gibbs was a master at top water fishing, Stan Kuzia is the all-time ranging champ of bottom fishing.

Stan Kuzia is known for creating the Ku-Jig Company. The Ku-jig is the most popular buck tail jig in the Canal area. Sure, Stan hasn’t poured a single jig to sell in 20 years, but every single lure company that makes Buck Tails has the Ku-jig mold. You see the names in most tackle stores; Cape Cod Canal Jig, Canal Special Jig, etc… This man created the fascination of the Buck Tail Jig. Everyone in the Canal area uses these lures, so this article is made to give some insight on all the lessons Kuzia has told me.

(One little word of advice) If you don’t lose any Buck Tail Jigs, then you are not jigging the correct way. You need to pay homage to the Canal God’s to catch a river monster, it’s just that simple. Give to receive, fishing is all about karma.

These fishermen have been skunked hundreds of times down the Canal. But, they did what every great fisherman does, they asked questions, learned from their mistakes, and used patience to evolve and adapt their fishing game. Fishing is an art form; everyone can learn it and perfect it, but to be perfect you first need to be patient. Kuzia was patient and now the guy is a legend.

If any one else has comments about this bucktail or any other style or technique...feel free........