Thread: RSA Program ending - Criminal investigations

Default RSA Program ending - Criminal investigations

This was reported by Capt Gene. I agree there is way too much abuse of this program by the party boats.

It looks like the Feds are putting an end to the RSA program, at least for next year. That?s the program that allowed boats to purchase a set amount of fish, mainly fluke and seabass that they could catch beyond the normal regulations such as seasonal limitations. Many, including me have referred to it as a license to steal.
    According to Newsday?s MARK HARRINGTON, the move follows a year of criminal enforcement actions on Long Island related to the program that have resulted in five guilty pleas, and 70 subpoenas issued to other New York fishing interests in an ongoing federal probe.

Long Island fishing ports have been a chief target of federal and state enforcement actions that found illegal fishing and underreporting of hundreds of thousands of pounds of fluke by program participants. Some say New York is a ripe location for abuse because the state has such a low portion of federal allotments for fluke, and other vital species, compared to other Atlantic fishing states.

In briefing documents presented Tuesday, regulators reported that the "known illegal harvest" of fluke exceeds 50 percent of New York's annual quota allocation. And "the illegal harvest estimate is likely to increase substantially as the investigation in that state continues to unfold," noting the 70 subpoenas served in mostly Long Island fishingports, according to the report.

I don't agree with that program either. Too much funny business going on on the sidelines. My .02