Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ Fishing Reports for Sept 2014...www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Quote Originally Posted by plugcrazy View Post
    Great reports guys glad to finally see some action! jb that was a cool vid thanks for sharing. blazing you got that fluke on a yozuri? Awesome,which one? thanks
    Yeah it was the Mag minnow in the bronze color...Fluke seem to like them i got a 4 1/2lber on it in May off the beach..

got out yesterday for a bit of a marathon 9am-6pm...Got a late start but the 1st spot had birds around so i checked it out and out of no where the albies popped up!! I hooked up for all of about 5 secs and then it popped off...I was pissed been trying for them for years and never landed 1!!!I had a few more casts before they were gone but no takers.....Moved after waiting to see if they would return but no luck...Switched to fluking managed 11 flatties biggest was just short 17.99...LOTS of bait around saw a bunch of mullet schools,spearing and maybe rainfish...The ocean was definitly alive with bait.. Tried live lining some mullet i snagged but no takers...The stage is set with the bait lets hope some bigger fish show up for the show!!!

Blazin, glad to see ya at least hoooked up. The feeling is addictive!

When the albies are moving fast or are picky it's time to get creative.
    I posted something today for you and the other guys who don't have a lot of experience catching them.

Take a look at that thread......our members have laid a lot of good advice down over the years.
    (you can also follow the steps there to modify a tin with the fluoro leader and teaser attached.) The tin then becomes the teaser delivery system.
    Good for rough water or when you have albies that seem to be picky that day.

Remember they have exceptional eyesight. Unless they are in a feeding frenzy are very discriminating as to what they hit in the surf line. They are much less picky when the party boats get them while bluefishing, when they will hit a bucktail, piece of meat, and many other non-traditional offerings.

The surf albies, will really test your patience and skill at times.
    Hope this helps...Good luck....

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...es)-and-Bonito

I feel your pain Blaze.

Im pretty sure I was standing at the same spot from 6:30 until about 9am watching them break on bait just out of casting range. Around 8:30 or so a big boat ran them over and that was it for 15 minutes I didn't see another sign of them so I left. Looks like I should have stayed a little longer.

For me the hardest part of catching albies from the surf in NJ always seems to be REACHING them.

Worst part yesterday was they were right there in front of me and couldnt seal the deal....Saw 1 caught they werent huge but it doesnt matter to me i just WANT 1!! This is only the third time ive run into them in the past 10+ years and it was the closest theyve been....Ugh better luck next time maybe....Thanks for the linkj to the thread DS ill be reading up in case i run into them again..

Fished occo in the back before sunrise. 2 short bass on rubber and 1/2 oz jig. Lots of small bait around, a few mullet but most of them have left already. Good luck on the albies fellas I may start putting a little effort into getting one. As has been said find a beach where you know they have been and wait for them to come to you. It doesn't make sense to chase after them on the beach.

Nice going fellas. blazin and jb you have to be in it to win it! At least you tried.

Two of us fished OC from noon till dark. Only managed to catch some two pound blues. Saw a lot of rainfish but the only thing bothering them were snappers and some albies, which were reachable but only a few at a time attacked the bait. Some mullet also showed up before dark but no fish showed up with them.

^ Glad to see the OFFC are out on the prowl and fishing again. My old phone is broken and I have no way of getting in touch with you guys. Rich - Check your PMs

Fished moco this am from 4-6:30 outgoing tide. Fair amount of mullet and spearing in the water. Managed 3 short bass and a few blues on blue and white polaris popper.

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by fishrich View Post
    Two of us fished OC from noon till dark. Only managed to catch some two pound blues. Saw a lot of rainfish but the only thing bothering them were snappers and some albies, which were reachable but only a few at a time attacked the bait. Some mullet also showed up before dark but no fish showed up with them.
    Were you the guy at the ASFMC meeting?

I fished last night for 30 minutes.

Pull up to a spot looking for signs of bait and right away I see a fish swirl. I hop out of the car and grab my rod make a cast and the fish swirls right behind it but misses.

Spent the next 30 minutes casting into dead water looking for that fish but it never happened (slack tide sucks!). Had to leave after that but at least its some action.

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    Were you the guy at the ASFMC meeting?

I fished last night for 30 minutes.

Pull up to a spot looking for signs of bait and right away I see a fish swirl. I hop out of the car and grab my rod make a cast and the fish swirls right behind it but misses.

Spent the next 30 minutes casting into dead water looking for that fish but it never happened (slack tide sucks!). Had to leave after that but at least its some action.
    No. I was not at the ASFMC meeting.

Well it was a long time coming but the bass are finally in the back. Got 4 tonight. One was a keeper 29" I let it go for good luck the rest of the fall. Clams did the job.

Nice going on the bass! I fished cape may over the weekend. Got some small blues to 4# on cut mullet. They are everywhere. Can't wait to see some striper action here.

WTG ledhead!!! I got out this am still lookin for that albie...Fished NoMoCo from415-730am didnt have alot of time since i had to be at work by 830 worked a good stretch of beach had 1 good bump in the dark then lost a tail on a Zoom to a bluefish about sun up...Once the sun rose there was a ton of bait around small bait(rainfish,spearing)in the wash and alot of action out a bit with a school of medium sized bait jumping all over looked like snapper size..Unfortunately the only thing i caught was good sunrise....Starting to think i got a jinx on me...Seeing reports of the bass and albies plus all the bait im running into i cant seem to buy a fish...Ill tell ya working till 8pm tonight would be alot easier if i didnt reak of the skunk!!! Jinx or not ill be back out tm with the NE wind hoping for better results...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20140918_083444.jpg  

blazing I don't fish the ocean a lot this time of year so can only tell you what has been working for us in the back. First of all I am out fishing almost every night and I don't report because you wouldn't want to hear about the skunk after skunk. Bass fishing this summer for me has been bad. We turned to croakers and did pretty well but it seems there were not a lot like last year so it was hard. Many skunk trips for croaker and porgies so you shouldn't feel that bad. I did notice that we seem to be doing better on the incoming tide in the back. It might not be that way where you are fishing. Got all those fish within a one hour period near the top of the tide the rest of the time nothing. dont feel bad about the skunk no one catches fish all the time. Tight lines and keep trying it should get better real soon.

Oh I forgot to add that is an awesome sunrise pic thanks for sharing.

Great sunrise pic Blazin. Nice reports everyone.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Thanks guys...it was worth the trip just to see that sun come up..and thanks for the pep talk led thats why I love this site!!

Two of us fished OC from 2pm - 7pm and got 30 blues ( 2 lb) and 5 fluke ( 2 keepers). The blues would only hit a mullet and nothing artificial. One of the keeper fluke hit a mullet and the others hit a teaser with gulp.
    Good pick of fish till 6pm then only one fish last hour before dark.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast