Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: NJ Fishing Reports for Sept 2014...www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Hit the surf last night after work. The tide was going out and it was loaded with little bait. Picked up cocktail blues, one fluke, and 2 small bass to 27" on bucktail and pork. Bite died at sunset. moco

Nice going hook. I probably fished the same area of moco as you this morning, a little south of where I usually fish. The NE wind was pretty strong and steady and the surf was kicked up from the offshore storm. Gave in my best for an hour at sunrise. Managed one 29" bass about 8# on buck with 6" chartreuse grub. Fish still swimming. That was my only activity - not even bluefish. Crazy fall so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazin420 View Post
    Thanks guys...it was worth the trip just to see that sun come up..and thanks for the pep talk led thats why I love this site!!
    Yes I sure love those sunrises on the water. The fish are just icing on the cake. I pefer this site as well. The sites where the fish pic is posted without any other description is just chest beating ego to me. Not a big fan of that but I do like the folks here. I will try to help anyone who needs it.

x2 what blazin420 and buckethead said. I love this site! I had a lot of time on my hands during the winter and read a lot of the threads especially in the surf fishing and main sections. I realized that half the time out there I wasn't even fishing the right beach by not reading the water and other stuff. So I have def learned a lot and become a little better. Thanks everyone!

Fished tonight 7-1030...two spots..both looked fishy...not a tap...threw it all..time to go into search mode and try a different area/tide..determined to shake this skunk..

^^^^^ Blazin there are plenty of bluefish in ocean county if that's what you want. I fished a few mornings this week at Island Beach.and managed blues to 4# on mullet. 2 short bass as well. I did get a few on diamond jig with green tube and teaser but it's been trending more toward the mullet. The ones I got on diamond jig were right in the hour before and after sunrise. Then it was back to the bait and wait.

Thanks for the heads up fishing mission! I kept hearing of fish in ocean and somoco so I made a trip south this morning to somoco. Got 3 feisty stripers in the rough surf this morning with tsunami shads. I was worried about the blues and almost follow buckethead's lead with the bucktail. decided to go with the shads first and switch if there were any bite offs. Not one bluefish in the mix, all bass hits. They hit hard and fast. Bite was over at dawn. All healthy bass up to 26". Monty there is tons of white water now in NJ in case you want to leave the grey poupon at home and just put ketchup or regular mustard on your hot dogs.

Thanks FM im really looking for the stripes but blues are always fun!! Appreciate the info...IBSP is always good for some blues this time of year!!

Nice job Steve...I hate when those damn blues rip up the shads!

Wow awesome reports gentlemen thanks! I'm trying to get out this afternoon or tomorrow and will post a report when I do.

Nice going guys. I fished nomoco this morning from 6-8 and got 3 cocktail blues on metal.

Skunk report. Went to fish the ocean side in cape may county near an inlet tonight before sunset. It was windy and surf a little choppy. Casted a pencil popper for an hour and all I got was a few weeds and a plastic bag fish. May try sunday it looks like the surf will be better then.

Well I finally got out today. Got 1 striper and like you guys said it was around dawn. Was using a storm shad with a teaser. The striper hit the shad and hit it hard! He was 24". I was fishing nomoco. Also had a cocktail blue bite the tail off the shad, I put a new one on and had to retie my connection because it was loose. It seemed like everything died after that. Very foggy morning out there. Kind of cool to be fishing in that. Thanks for all the tips guys next time I will try a bucktail with pork rind to avoid the bite offs.

Quote Originally Posted by baitstealer View Post
    Thanks for all the tips guys next time I will try a bucktail with pork rind to avoid the bite offs.
    Hey no problem glad to help a new guy. When there are blues around its a good idea to throw the bucktail first. Vision eels are $3each, tsunamis are cheaper. Storm and tsunami shads can run from 0.75 to $2 depending on size and where you get them. Learn to work a bucktail and don't get it caught in any rocks. Once you get the rhythm of it and catch you will be more confident in it. Bucktails are much more popular in montauk. don't know why more Jersey guys don't use them. There are also a few threads on bucktails here. I think surfstix, dark, and buckethead have written some good things about them. Do a search.

Picked up 2 short bass in the moco whitewater this morning. There was a lot of bait around. Fished for 4 hours starting at 4am. Figured there would be more fish but you know how that goes. Buckail and pork.

There isnt' many in NJ right now but every Sept i know a place in the barney that is a strong hold for peanuts and mullet and the Weakies follow. Toughest bite i ever seen, bait was uber thick with blitz conditions, weakies were ripping through and had nuts coming out of the water whole tide. I managed to trick a few, landed 4 to 24" mostly on black and dropped a few and 4 schoolie bass which were sitting on the outskirts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10534684_10202733333323767_6419211839476056695_n.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	18873

Quote Originally Posted by SharkHart View Post
    managed to trick a few, landed to 24" mostly on black and dropped a few and 4 schoolie bass which were sitting on the outskirts
    Yowza thats a nice weakfish sharkhart! A lot bigger than some of the ones I saw reports about. Thanks for sharing. nice! When you say black are you casting lures to them or something else? thanks for any advice you can give.

Black 4" zooms they mostly laughed at it but occasionally you catch one in a frenzy just grabs it. My pants got soaked from the showers so i ditched the camera had 2 after that were about 4lbs or better

Great reports guys!! Well done!...

I got out today from 5am till 1pm with a buddy of mine started at a NoMoCo beach i havent fished in a while..Started in the dark with some big rollers...Worked a good stretch with no action...Sun came up and had mullet schools running past us..My bud hooked up and he thought it was a BIG fish... peeled drag until it stopped and hugged the bottom...We both assumed it was a ray tried to get him off the bottom but he ended up snapping the line...My buddy was pissed...Moved down the coast and worked another spot we have done well at in the past and found nothing just more bait...Further S we headed and decided to hit some rock piles...My bud is a newbie to the rocks so he wanted to get some time in on them..I ran down some basics with him on fishing jettys and we headed out...Water looked absolutly fishy..I thought for sure we would find some bass..Mullet was all around,Along with a ton of surfers...We worked the rocks hard but all we found were a bunch of fluke..My bud did manage a decent keeper..I was more focused on trying to find some stripes so i only had a couple flatties..Water still felt a bit warm but it was clean and full of life...It was a good day as far as looking into some spots that should produce once more fish show..Checked out a few other spots on the way home just to make some notes for the log...

^ Almost sounds like he hooked a stargazer that ended up burying itself in the sand.

Fished Moco on sat and sunday. Not much happening but I did get some fish. The further south I went the more weeds I found. Whats up with that? Sat I started at 5am and fished till 10. 1 nice striper 27" at 6:30 on a shad. Then a few small blues on a shad and then diamond a17 with red tail. Sunday there was lots of life in the water and seemed like less fish? Picked up 2 small blues on the a17.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazin420 View Post
    Great reports guys!! Well done!...

.Worked a good stretch with no action...Sun came up and had mullet schools running past us..My bud hooked up and he thought it was a BIG fish... peeled drag until it stopped and hugged the bottom...We both assumed it was a ray tried to get him off the bottom but he ended up snapping the line...My buddy was pissed...
    I noticed this too a lot of mullet out there yesterday and not many fish under them. I bet your friend is still wondering what that fish was could have been a big striper you never know!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast