Quote Originally Posted by SharkHart;82421
It is naive to think if most didnt catch fish can't be caught, Guys in the know target spots resident fish hang this time of year and the guys fishing migrating spots are taking the skunk and calling BS on guys catching, To give you another example, In the spring strong NE winds were killing the ocean surf and flattening and cleaning the bay, some guys have a deeper bag of tricks then others.

Good responses so far, people......
Here's something I posted the other day in response to someone who asked if it was worth it to fish the back bays...

For many years I did not fish the ocean till after Columbus day, and did quite well in the back bay and estuary areas.
This year it's different and as mentioned the water has been murky at times, and gin clear at others.
That's why you have to have different spots for different wind and weather patterns.

When some guys are staying home because the wind is screaming 25mph in their faces, I usually have alternative places I can be where the wind is at my back.

"Fishing the back" can be real productive this time of year, but you have to key in on specific tides and high bait concentrations. No bait and you will generally find little or no fish, find the bait and you can catch double digits this time of year.

EX
- in the last 10 nights...friends of mine...landed...

22lb bass in the back of an inlet area, on rubber....
26 lb bass while fishing near a creek, tossing small swimmers...yes that 26# bass was caught in 3' of water.
35# bass 2 nights ago on a bunker chunk (but that was only because bunker had returned to an area they had been absent from)

I don't want to hype anybody up hearing about these bigger fish...because the truth is, in our area, they are about one of every 500 fish right now...but if you're targeting them, and fishing hard, and know the patterns........it might just be you catching one of these larger bass....

It really depends on the bait...

So I hope I pressented fairly the difficulty of dialing into a back bay bite, this time of year...

In my experience this year, it has been a lot harder to find and consistently target these fish.
Hope that helps.

Feel free to add as you see new things happening throughout the Season.....