Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Googan trip to Montauk......what's needed...googan advice....

Make sure you bring the rod holders to hold 5 rods each and take up 1/2 mile of beach, you should be real popular up there if you do that. Maybe you should write a book, googan fishing made easy!

the tag list for this thread is almost as funny as the thread itself

Quote Originally Posted by jonthepain View Post
    the tag list for this thread is almost as funny as the thread itself
    I wanted to make sure people would find this thread when we can't fish for striped bass anymore...
    BTW, any of you folks can put tags on threads, in fact it would be helpful to me as there are only a few of ya's putting tags and titles in the threads. These help for when people do a database search for a topic on our site, and I thank those who have been making that extra contribution by putting titles and tags on threads.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Captain Insaneo (DS)needs to do this trip alone,or find someone like him,as I don't:

1) Have smelly waders
    2) Feed birds
    3) Eat samwitches especially ones that are 3 days old from a cooler with clams and bunker
    4) Sleep in roadside Johnnie on the spots
    5) Live out of a compact car for a week
    6) Call 7-11 and Wawa home cooking
    7) Wear the same clothes for a week
    8) Wears shorts with sneakers. high white socks and korkers
    9) I do not own a googan bucket
    10) Last but not least plays with,talks to and video tapes finger puppets

OK so who wants to go!!!! in my place I can set it up
    You old grouchy basstard, how dare you!!!!
    Normally I would argue with a post like this, but it appears you really do know me, ya got me cold on these points.

And it's probably one of the most creative posts I've ever seen you put up here or anywhere else, I still can't stop laughing..... Funny stuff from an old grouch...

Living out of your car for a week? That's either hardcore, or really sick! Don't waste your time at Montauk, the fishing isn't so great from the surf there now.

really sick gets my vote

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Default Re: Googan trip to Montauk......what's needed...googan advice....

Quote Originally Posted by williehookem View Post
    Living out of your car for a week? That's either hardcore, or really sick! Don't waste your time at Montauk, the fishing isn't so great from the surf there now.

2nd year in a row and guys are saying this. I know Montauk finally turned around in Oct last year, but even friends who got some nice fish were saying how things are very different now, than they were 5 years ago.....

For anyone who wants to make the trip, Fin sent in some traffic advice.
    The other advice I would give is the least congested time I like to go, is leaving around 12 midnight....and never on a weekend, or Holiday. That way you can get there, make the first light bite, crash, get something to eat, and if you're staying, get into the night bite the next day......

Thanks Fin ....

"Delays on the I-95 Cross Bronx Expressway

Beginning July 14, for 6 months, construction on the I-95 Cross Bronx Expressway may cause significant eastbound traffic delays, including on the GWB. Plan accordingly and check 511NJ.org for current traffic conditions. Visit NYSDOT for project information."

Default Re: Googan trip to Montauk......what's needed...googan advice....

Montauk is becomeing like the hottie in high shool 10 years ago. Yeah she was hot. That was 10 years ago though. look at her today and she is flabby has 2 kids and a drinking problem. No thanks. Maybe if it shapes up a little better. We have the same fish in Jersey if you know where to look.

^ Jigfreak, I agree, and that is a hell of an analogy.
    Just ask veteran Montauk Surfcasters Willie Young, Vito Orlando, Bill Wetzel. etc....how the fishing has dropped off there....It used to be the mecca where all fishermen had to go at least once...because it was the Center of the fish migration highway....
    Update on this year....the fish that usually show in the first week of June...
    Did not show up in real numbers until the last week of June....

I thought we could try to keep this thread positive, and funny.....talking about all the mistakes we have made, when fishing there....advice for the new guys out there......

Bump for Monty, who is now fishing rocks at night to find the fish....
    Monty please review this thread before ya kill yourself....

You and others, feel free to add any helpful advice.....
    Montauk can be very unforgiving if you're not prepared....
    On the plus side, you might find that fishing the rocks, is very addictive......there's no turning back now....

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    ^ Jigfreak, I agree, and that is a hell of an analogy.
    Just ask veteran Montauk Surfcasters Willie Young, Vito Orlando, Bill Wetzel. etc....how the fishing has dropped off there....It used to be the mecca where all fishermen had to go at least once...because it was the Center of the fish migration highway....
    Update on this year....the fish that usually show in the first week of June...
    Did not show up in real numbers until the last week of June....

I thought we could try to keep this thread positive, and funny.....talking about all the mistakes we have made, when fishing there....advice for the new guys out there......

Bump for Monty, who is now fishing rocks at night to find the fish....
    Monty please review this thread before ya kill yourself....

You and others, feel free to add any helpful advice.....
    Montauk can be very unforgiving if you're not prepared....
    On the plus side, you might find that fishing the rocks, is very addictive......there's no turning back now....
    Googan of the year visits Montauk....

Well when I looked at Google Maps it looked like on the north side there was sand on the beaches. So when I got there at 2:15 AM I put my waders on and walked around 10 minutes until I found the path down to the beach and thought I was going fishing.....
    Well there are rocks between the sand and water and muck and slippery stuff. Bottom is slippery. So I walked north and the further north, looking for a nice comfortable jersey shore type of beach. And even stopped and "tried" to make a few casts as I carefully stumbled and slipped until I wedged my boots between rocks so not to fall..urghhh...Then decided to cut my loses and hike all the way back to my vehicle and put on the korkers I bought 7 years ago but never used (I don't do/climb jettys).
    And then headed back to the water. Was AMAZING how good those korkers work. Incredible. I then fished for 3 hours, had a ball out there. Only fell one time, did not rip waders (small lump and bloody cut on shin, awesome souvenir).
    One thing for sure is I don't fish areas that are crowded in any such way. So when the action heats up out there I will certainly be somewhere else when I fish.
    Wonder when the weather gets bad out there (rain and wind), if its still very popular? Hope not.

So the major Googan move was not wearing the korkers from the beginning ......banana head move

The bottom line is I now have gone as far east as I can to get away from that ridiculous, in humane, disgusting, waste of money, corrupt jersey beach replenishment. So thank you jersey for making me so disgusted I drive way out there, it certainly was worth it.

White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Nice pic good to see you got some fish there.
    Korkers are a must.
    Dont knoow if this was said before. 2 pairs are a good idea in case you end up busting one. Korkers and one pair of korkers wading boots can work as well.
    Bring plenty of water in a cooler you will need it. Small trail mix or backpacking snacks are also a good idea. Stay awy from the tourist hotels if you are staying overnight. All you need is a place to sleep and take a quick shower.Be careful during the moon tides. Water comes screaming around the point.
    I read that you took your first spill. No worries it is a rite of initiation.

Quote Originally Posted by nitestrikes View Post
    Korkers are a must.
    I read that you took your first spill. No worries it is a rite of initiation.
    Hell Yeah.

Felt the blood trickling down my leg in the waders after the fall, was thinking just like Dark says "you ain't fishing if your not bleeding, trying not to drown, getting up off your *ss after getting knocked over by a wave or have a hook stuck in your hand".

Bad weather brings everyone out from under their rocks especially the first noreaster big water is what they crave.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

^ Very true, Surf.... How ya been?

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...nd-White-Water

Anyone want to bet how long it takes for Monty to start living in his car once he turns into a rock hopping degenerate?
    First noreaster of 2014, he'll be driving to Montauk looking for that white water.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Hell Yeah.

Felt the blood trickling down my leg in the waders after the fall, was thinking just like Dark says "you ain't fishing if your not bleeding, trying not to drown, getting up off your *ss after getting knocked over by a wave or have a hook stuck in your hand".

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Anyone want to bet how long it takes for Monty to start living in his car once he turns into a rock hopping degenerate?

Rumor has it...one of our members here is making the trip tonight....don't want to jinx it for him....but I'm hoping it's everything he wished for....the fishing is good....and if he does fall off a rock deep in the dark..that he gets right back up again, and kicks some ***.
    I said a prayer to King Neptune to send some fish his way......
    The rest....is up to him......

I fished Montauk this morning, hired Bill Wetzel as a guide. We didn't catch anything (Pretty sure the Dark-Jinx was in play).
    Had a great time and learned a real lot. He helped me out with my casting technique, being"on" the plug much quicker, stuff that really will help me going forward.
    Helped me with fishing a few artificials I don't normally fish. Plus lots of things specific to fishing Montauk (which I really had a lot of questions).
    I was extremely happy with what I got out of the trip, fishing with him, asking him questions about the areas (bait, tides. winds), all should help me out big time out there in the future. His knowledge of the area is incredible. I should have done this earlier in my trips out there (I'm a Knuckle Head).

Can't wait to my next trip out there now.

Bill is one of the nicest guys you ever want to meet. Extremely passionate about fishing as well. Nice report.

Quote Originally Posted by nitestrikes View Post
    Bill is one of the nicest guys you ever want to meet. Extremely passionate about fishing as well. Nice report.
    Yes, he is all of that.
    Just a little update on my guided trip with Bill.
    As I mentioned I didn't catch a fish on the trip.
    So what did I get out of it:
    Short term, my next two trips were to areas that we fished, that he discussed how to, where and why.
    I got a couple bass the first trip and 10 the next. Both trips were "great" for me (per my scale) and I would not have been fishing there if not for the Bill trip.
    This morning I picked up two bass, not in Montauk. One was on the bucktail, I was fishing it just like Bill explained to me. The other was on the Super Strike Darter, fished exactly how Bill explained. Without the Bill trip I am pretty sure I would have gotten the skunk this morning. Not many fish were caught were I was this morning.
    Just thought I would put a little follow up for the guided trip, I have been putting the things Bill explained into my fishing and it has certainly helped me.

It's all about confidence.

I have a slight swim shad addiction but it's what I am most confident fishing and its a great lure for the areas I like to fish.

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    It's all about confidence.

I have a slight swim shad addiction but it's what I am most confident fishing and its a great lure for the areas I like to fish.
    Its crazy what catching a fish or getting a hit on a plug can do for getting that confidence in a plug.

Spending a few hours with Bill Wetzel going over the retrieve of the darter and bucktail gave me much more confidence in fishing them, knowing that I am at least in the ballpark with the presentation. With the SS Darter and Bucktails I feel my presentation is 100% better, feeling each cast could get a hit. Thats one of the things I really like about the sport. So much to learn, can't wait to get back out there. Figuring out the weights of the bucktails for the water, trying them, trying to put it together. Its the endless jigsaw puzzle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12