Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: NJ Fishing Reports for May 2015 - www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Fished nomoco from 5-7am. One short bass and 2 blues about 4-5lbs with bucktail and red pork rind. Didn't see any bait visible in the water. Where are all the bunker that are usually around this time of year?

CH I was thinking the same thing. I went down to the rocks in MoCo. Haven't been there in a while and there are hardly any rocks left. Looks like a giant construction project where the character of the surf is the loser. I remember every memorial day the bunker usually come in and guys catch big bass. I casted my 3 oz pencil popper for about a half hour. One feisty bluefish and not one striper. congrats at least you caught a striper to start the weekend off. Good luck to everyone this weekend and for the fluke!

Quote Originally Posted by porgy75 View Post
    I went down to the rocks in MoCo. Haven't been there in a while and there are hardly any rocks left. Looks like a giant construction project where the character of the surf is the loser. I remember every memorial day the bunker usually come in and guys catch big bass.
    You probably can't count on that this memorial day. With all the replenishment the bunker are staying offshore in a lot of places. Yes for those people who haven't seen the jetties in awhile it will be a sad sight to see. And totally unnecessary. By next March half these jetties will be uncovered again. The life around them will be a dead zone though.

Fished moco this morning with bucktail/pork. Nothing for me. Beautiful sunrise.

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post

Interesting info. Why do you think they hold down deep like that?

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    Basic physics - look up the "laminar flow" and how it is applied to rivers.

"In a river without obstructions, the slowest moving water is near the bottom and the fastest is near the surface.

Eddies are created behind an obstruction as water fills in the void created by the obstruction.

The current behind an eddy is actually moving upstream.
    Hydraulics occur as water flows over an obstruction and a slight depression forms behind it. Downstream water attempts to fill this void, creating an upstream flow toward the obstruction."

I'll translate into terms we fisherman can understand...

If the bottom of the river was perfectly flat the bottom would still create friction that would slow down the water movement.

The bottom is never flat and any bottom structure creates eddies that slow the water down (even small ripples in the bottom create eddies).

We know that most big fish are lazy.

The eddies and slower current allow big fish to sit/cruise at the bottom and conserve energy.

Try getting to the bottom of the river flowing at 4knts with your sp minnow ~.~

JB, Monty and I sometimes text and say terrible things to each other....just our way of ball busting.....you have to have thick skin to stay in the game.....
    Sometimes I have called JB a lazy fisherman....yep I have.......we pull no punches when we're insulting each other.....

Laminar Flow...
    But this response stuck out in my mind....
    When I think of patterns...Spring and Fall....
    I'm always trying to figure out the "Why" rather than just being content with fishing locations.....

When someone says something like this...you can tell they DO observe what's going on around them....
    Nice job, JB...you do pay attention to what's going on around ya....great explanation....

Fished moco this morning with bucktail and pork. Low water the tide was just coming in. Managed one short bass and a mess of small blues. They have invaded.

Flat sand beach in northern oc. 9-11 am got some decent blues with crocodile. Ocean was pretty calm and there was no bait showing. Good luck to all this weekend it will be a madhouse between the bathers and the fishermen.

Fished OC from 5-7:30 after work. The first hour was bad because it was low water and sucked. When the tide finally started coming in the action picked up. Got one runt bass and a handful of larger blues all above 8#. All on an sp. Windy, had to duck in a protected area to cast, but once I did it was ok.

Went to nomoco and fished hard last night. 30 of my closest friends were there lol. Not much going on just a few bluefish here and there. I got 2 medium sized tossing a magnum black bomber. The craziest thing was one guy was trying for stripers because there were bunker around. He was snagging bunker and all of a sudden we thought he had a big striper. When he reeled it in it was a large sturgeon about 20 lbs! He took a quick video and let it go. Pretty unusual to see something like that.

Cool have never seen one of those caught in the surf!

Up until about a year ago I did not even realize sturgeon went into the salt. Interesting he got one in the surf.

Worked a pencil popper in moco early am from 5-6:30. Maybe I was there the wrong time but it was dead for me. Picked up one blue and that was it. At least there weren't too many people around then. Have a great memorial day weekend guys and good luck! May go back out tonight or tomorrow there has to be more fish than that.

Fished LBI this morning with a clam pole. Then was throwing metal with my other pole. Skate on the clam pole. 3 bluefish on metal. They stopped biting around 7. Nice morning and sunrise.

OC for a quick hour at sunup. Nothing for me. Low water will try again this afternoon.

Nothing much to report either. Fished clear water in moco. A little windy but not bad. Nada.

South wind blows big time. That's all I have to say.
    Good luck on the weekend gents. I think I'm done till tuesday.

Add me to the skunk patrol. Fished 4-6:30 in moco. just walked off. The south wind was terrible. Didn't see any bait or signs of fish or anyone catching. There were a bunch of boats pretty far off clustered together.Maybe bass maybe fluke. Hope someone was catching today because I wasn't. Might have to fish further north next time. where I was it was the dead sea.

Quote Originally Posted by hookedonbass View Post
    Went to nomoco and fished hard last night. 30 of my closest friends were there lol. Not much going on just a few bluefish here and there. I got 2 medium sized tossing a magnum black bomber. The craziest thing was one guy was trying for stripers because there were bunker around. He was snagging bunker and all of a sudden we thought he had a big striper. When he reeled it in it was a large sturgeon about 20 lbs! He took a quick video and let it go. Pretty unusual to see something like that.
    Thats awesome I found a petrified sturgeon on the beach last year. Check the dead things thread.

Fished mo co first 2 hours including sunrise. Got 2 blues on a pencil popper and when the sun got bright it was all she wrote.

The fishing sucked for me today. Went down at noon and fished an isolated beach with no bikinis. Was hoping for some good action at high tide comeing in but no luck.Back to fishing at night. Was just out there because we're visiting family for a BBQ and I wanted to wet a line.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast