Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Surfstix' Teasers and the fish they catch.......

Default Re: Surfstix' Teasers and the fish they catch.......

thanks for all the advice surfstix

Surfstix- I saw in DS post that you aren't feeling well. I hope that your health has improved since that post in March. I appreciate you taking the time to answer our questions. I look forward to making everyone laugh at the flies I tie, LOL!

I haven't used the fish skulls yet, you can do it or maybe your daughter lol my first ones were train wrecks it takes time you can pick up quite a bit of info on youtube.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Nice work guys!

Here are some of my night tide reports for the first 2 weeks of July...
    The latest night menu is mostly scattered blues...with a few occasional bass thrown in.

You never know when those conditions will change for the better....even if just for that night.....hence the push to be out there as often as I can....

7-13-14 AM
    Fished 3 1/2 hours.
    Got out too late to fish the ocean and the winds weren't what I was looking for. Settled into some back bay flats fishing. Found some fish in the first few minutes but the pattern was different than 2 nights before.

That
    night, they all hit the teaser, only the teaser
    . This trip they would not touch it. I finally settled into a routine where I pissed off each and every fish to get it to smash the popper. The action was pretty good, with long periods of inactivity. Seems like they were coming into the flats and feeding in small groups.

Attachment 18678

Attachment 18677

Note the
    Surfstix teaser tail hook that got these fish...thanks Surfstix!

Managed 10 blues to 6#...missed at least twice as many.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP5648.jpg   IMGP5654.jpg  

Nice looking teaser stix.

Funny how doing something unconventional will get you into fish. Good job ss and ds.

Nice work surfstix. Half of the fish I got this morning were with teasers. Anyone else having success with them?

I might have found the creator of that teaser you were asking about, Monty..... SurfStix gave ya a similar one in post 20 of this thread.... looks pretty close...

Its amazing there are so many different sizes and shapes. They are so small and the fish key in on them. Thanks for sharing. Have heard a lot about the redgill not so much about the other ones. good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    I might have found the creator of that teaser you were asking about, Monty..... SurfStix gave ya a similar one in post 20 of this thread.... looks pretty close...
    Thank you, you did find it.
    Wet and out of the water they look like cat hair balls.
    In the water, I'm thinking a heck of a 3 1/2" and eel imitation.

Thanks Stix!!

White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Your Welcome pretty don't always catch.So i guess you can rename it the cat hairball.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    Your Welcome pretty don't always catch.So i guess you can rename it the cat hairball.
    Hi Stix, was this your creation?
    Did it have a name?
    I took it off because it was cathing to much and wanted to catch on plugs. Very nice.

yes I tied it,like I said not the best tie but it obviously worked.It's just black marabou tied in at the rear of the hook on the sides of the shank at the hook point and black chenille wrapped to the hook eye w/ red flash and some krystal flash on top if I remember correctly I tied two very quickly to use one morning so pretty wasn't the factor.The KF isn't really needed I'm going to take a guess it was a dark morning or moonless night I like the black with red in those conditions.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Hi Stix, was this your creation?
    Did it have a name?
    I took it off because it was cathing to much and wanted to catch on plugs. Very nice.
    Hey not trying to be a JO here but if you were catching on it why take it off? I would be so happy to catch I would use that plug or teaser until it stopped working! thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hookedonbass View Post
    Hey not trying to be a JO here but if you were catching on it why take it off? I would be so happy to catch I would use that plug or teaser until it stopped working! thanks
    I have tried to fish without teasers this year, and basically have 99% of the time. Trying to get better at presentation of plugs. I think it's helped, with sand eels around I put that teaser on and when it was pretty obvious there were a lot of bass around I wanted to try catching on plugs. And I did, found the SS Darter was productive. Plus I am pretty sure the bigger offerings catch bigger fish. Even if the bigger fish is 4 to 10 inches.
    This type of (action) I lucked into is rare for me, but often when I do find some sort of a bite I try to take advantage of seeing what else works. I am always trying to learn stuff.
    I will start off tonight's trip with this teaser on (I'm not stupid), LOL.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123