Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ Fishing Reports for November 2015 - www. StripersAndAnglers.com

the OFFC was out in force yesterday. fished OC late afternoon well into the dark. got the skunk. plenty of bait, shad and even some squid but no BASS.

will try again today

Same for me, gentlemen. Another skunk serving in moco this morning. may give it a try later on this afternoon to see if conditions have changed. It was a little breezy out there with the North / Northeast.

Boat today we had 7 fish to 43 inch 32 pound all live lined on circle hooks all released no snag and drop

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Another perfect night in moco for me. Another perfect skunk! Finchaser nice going beautiful stripers but boat fish don't count!

Oh and nice going on the release as well.

Nice stripers finchaser I read there was a hot bite in ocean county congrats on the fish. I was out last night fishing hard. 41/2 hours later not much to show for it. I decided to give it 5 minutes more before I went home and got a 22 in striper on a yellow north bar plug. I totally agree about the perfect conditions. It really does seem like the stripers have declined. The boats are killing them and doing well. We should do that well too or at least have some stripers on the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    Another perfect night in moco for me. Another perfect skunk! Finchaser nice going beautiful stripers but boat fish don't count!
    I know they don't count but they are fun to catch and release on my way now that the fog has lifted

The OFFC, with the guidance of a friend, tried many new locations in MC yesterday with the same results. NO fish. tried plugging for a few hours at dark and finally lost the skunk with a 23" bass on a mag darter. Not much for 3 people and and hours of fishing.

Nice fish, Fin.....just to qualify, he wasn't snagging and dropping.....snagged the bunker...put them back out on a circle hook...and paying attention to what he was doing....outfished his fishing partner for that day, by 3:1.
    The stories of dead fish laying on the surface are believable and sad...There were guys on the radio complaining about the new striper limits....and some of them were probably culling fish....

When people are in the middle of feeding fish...that experience tends to be what they see...every time they speak about bass....and will strongly state how solid the bass population is...because they have "seen it"......
    More on that in this thread
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...term-over-used
    Thanks for the report, Fin...glad to see ya get into some quality fish.....
    Hope your success continues today.....

Quote Originally Posted by fishjay View Post
    The OFFC, with the guidance of a friend, tried many new locations in MC yesterday with the same results. NO fish. tried plugging for a few hours at dark and finally lost the skunk with a 23" bass on a mag darter. Not much for 3 people and and hours of fishing.

This kills me to read it......
    If folks reading this report knew you guys like I do....a combined total of over 150 years fishing experience among these three members of the OFFC....they might understand my sadness with all that ground you covered.....

Folks, these are some of the old-timers I talk about all the time......I am forever grateful for the pearls of wisdom they have shared with me over the years....they know the bites...they know the patterns....they know how to find a few fish (when there are more than a few scattered bites)......
    It is a little disheartening and depressing......

As others have said....
    "Ya can't catch...what ain't there"
    There are plenty of fish in the middle...it's on the edges where we notice the drop, and see things more clearly.

The OFFC, being retired, have more time to fish than most...and will be back out again....I've seen you three on the beach plugging away.....hours after most of the others have given up and gone home.....

I can only hope that things will improve slightly....that's all you guys ask for.....just a chance to catch a few fish....it's what turns a sad, sour, trip into one that brings you happiness....

We're not asking for much here Lord....just a few....but please, in your benevolence, bring some more opportunities to these fishermen....who work so hard.....
    Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    2. There has been a noticable lack of a consistent pattern thus far this Fall.
    As I'm typing these words, it appears that fishing is winding down (for now)........ and that the bulk of those initial fish have slid over into the Raritan Bay/ NY Bight area......

Whoever is fishing the NY Bight area may tend to claim how "fantastic" the Fall Run is, for that area....

The important thing to realize is that a majority of areas that have held fish in the past, now hold very few fish, or nothing.
    Some want to blame the jetty replenishment....
    I feel the problem is bigger than that....

......Two factors that seems to be slowing that bait movement down are
    a. the mild weather and
    b. mild water temps......
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...shing-patterns

Lately......because the fish are spread out so thin...except in the NY Bight area and some of the inlets......there isn't much of a pattern....
    So if you have a chance to get out there....don't delay...
    Blink.... and you might miss it......
    Wishing all readers and their families best of luck for the rest of the Fall....

Just to try to add to the above and put some positivity in here, as other have asked for.....

Some have asked if this is the end.....

For some, further East, it may be...but there are always fish, stragglers, etc, that will stay close to abundant bait.....
    This Fall season is different for a lot of us....as mentioned above the mild weather has put some bodies fish in a holding pattern.......There are still a few large bodies of fish in the LI Sound and others that are slowly moving down the East River, and along the Coast as well.

What are sadly sterile is many of the ocean beaches.......Even the bay beaches are not as productive as they should be....
    There just aren't enough fish, to fill the "edges" of the M&M bowl like there used to be.

1. One bright spot is the large bluefish which are staring to filter into our NJ/NY Bight area and some parts of Ocean County...they showed up last week....Anglers are seeing more of them every day. A friend on the other side of the Bight who hasn't seen many fish...spent all day catching giant blues, and a few bass, yesterday....all from land....the NY Bight has a decent amount of bait and fish varieties in certain areas right now....

2. Another bright spot is the amount of bass in the NY Bight area......this is a shining sea of hope, considering that many other areas are holding few fish......the chief indicator being Montauk, formerly the most formidable fish highway on the East Coast...where the Charter boats are now fishing for bottom fish instead of bass. (That's something to think about.)

And as many others have said here....
    a. If you're chasing fish that are feeding on bunker.....and don't have a boat or kayak...those fish, without significant structure to hold them, (usually) are only in an ocean area for a few hours, before they slide away or out of reach......
    b. The times the bunker have stayed around....miles along a beach or deep water harbor area...there (usually) are not many bass or blues to feed on them, (or ) enough bass and blues to pressure them into moving.

It will be cold, rainy, snowy, and over before you know it...
    As I said, blink and ya may miss it.
    So get out there and fish every chance you can....

Fished moco last night. Front and back. Great weather fished without the heavy jacket and it was good. Fishing not so good. Smell of skunk was only missed by a few hickory shad on the teaser.

Folks, these are some of the old-timers I talk about all the time......I am forever grateful for the pearls of wisdom they have shared with me over the years....they know the bites...they know the patterns....they know how to find a few fish (when there are more than a few scattered bites)......
    It is a little disheartening and depressing......

As others have said....
    "Ya can't catch...what ain't there"
    There are plenty of fish in the middle...it's on the edges where we notice the drop, and see things more clearly.

Amen.

Just to try to add to the above and put some positivity in here, as other have asked for.....

2. Another bright spot is the amount of bass in the NY Bight area......this is a shining sea of hope, considering that many other areas are holding few fish......the chief indicator being Montauk, formerly the most formidable fish highway on the East Coast...where the Charter boats are now fishing for bottom fish instead of bass. (That's something to think about.)
    Wow it's so convenient you wrote that this morning. Dark you're living on another planet, full of it!
    You must be living in a bubble - there are bass all over!!!!!!! Look at what I found posted on the net a few minutes ago.
    The Oracle of Bass Capt Sal has spoken.

Capt Sal Curci-
    "I believe our striper fishery is healthy and this run proves how many bass are around. Bass are rolling on top and are visible to the naked eye.Not only is Raritan Bay on fire but the ocean run is very good also.If there is no bait there are no stripers. It is that simple. I still believe in conservation and think it is a good thing to keep a smaller slot fish. It should be in the limit not by bonus tag. From Long Island the Hudson River to the west end of Raritan Bay to Asbury Park there are Bass."

Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post
    Look at what I found posted on the net a few minutes ago.
    The Oracle of Bass Capt Sal has spoken.

Capt Sal Curci-
    "I believe our striper fishery is healthy and this run proves how many bass are around. Bass are rolling on top and are visible to the naked eye.Not only is Raritan Bay on fire but the ocean run is very good also.If there is no bait there are no stripers. It is that simple. I still believe in conservation and think it is a good thing to keep a smaller slot fish. It should be in the limit not by bonus tag. From Long Island the Hudson River to the west end of Raritan Bay to Asbury Park there are Bass."

I don't want to create a war here or cause spot burning trouble but that captain whoever he is must be getting paid by someone to say that. Fishing was so bad for me I asked my uncle to take me out. I fished in the shrewsbury river last night jigging shads and bucktails with my uncle on his boat. We got two short stripers on shads and that was it. The last time I checked the shrewsbury river was part of the raritan bay area on the map.
    So I don't know who you are exactly or where you fish Captain Sal. We are all entitled to our opinions. In my opinion you are either a big time charter captain who has to keep talking smack to fill your boats.
    Or you are talking out of your A-S-S!

Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post
    Capt Sal Curci-
    .Not only is Raritan Bay on fire but the ocean run is very good also.If there is no bait there are no stripers. It is that simple.

Add me to the skunk crew. Fished occo this morning and skunked out.

I also wanted to comment on what was said about if there is not bait there are no stripers. I had to stop fishing early to go to work this morning. As I was driving home I stopped at a few places. Saw bunker at two of them. They looked like happy bunker to me with nothing on them. Also remember back in june when there was tons of bunker up in monmouth county. Didn't see any striped bass on them either. Two situations where there is plenty of bait and no stripers. If someone can explain that please go ahead. thanks

Buy a boat. Problem solved.
    Nice catching finchaser.

capt sal fishes in r bay an nowhere else so he dont know those other spots. hes retired now and fishes fla where he fishes with his son so he dont even have to look for fish. when fishing is hot his son already knows about it. also he parties too much. He's getting old and his mind is clouded up. my .02 and oppinion.

fishing report true report not sum bs from a wacked out capt. we caught sum fish in the r bay this week. lots of hours n work. night time right time. when bunker came in we had fish. stripers n big blues. when bunker not there it was skates and dogs. had a few nights wit lots o bunker and no fish at all. the end

Did boat thing again had 4 fish to 26 pounds today all released

Captain Sal is and will always be an assh ole

got out yesterday afternoon into dark for a few hours....Fished from 330-8pm...Not a bad trip over all considering my last 2...Managed to land 3 dropped 3 and missed a bunch of hits...All the fish were 24-26in 2 on my burple teaser 1 on the 4in Mag darter...Should of had more but i was rusty since i havent got out much...My bud nailed a double header and also missed a few...Fun night for the most part just wish i could have stuck the 3 dropped a bit harder to land them...1 i dropped felt like a good sized fished..It was my fault for losing that 1...Had a guy walking behind me and didnt want to give away the fact i had a fish on..Was trying to hide it and the fish got slack on me LOL...

Quote Originally Posted by Blazin420 View Post
    1 i dropped felt like a good sized fished..It was my fault for losing that 1...Had a guy walking behind me and didnt want to give away the fact i had a fish on..Was trying to hide it and the fish got slack on me LOL...
    Stealth fishing. Gotta love it haha! Oops. Good move I have done the same when it's crowded. Glad to hear you got some stripers. I got 2 last night in moco. Casting a black redfin with a teaser. When I do catch fish they all seem to be in that size category. 8:30-11:30. Mine hit the teaser. Where would we be without teasers this fall?

Also congrats on the new addition to your family. May you eventually get a fishing partner out of it.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast