Thread: bait and blitz in the moco surf

Default bait and blitz in the moco surf

Finally I got to have a blitz all to myself. It started just after sunrise. The bait was gathering up. I figured which way it was moving and went down to intercept it.

Default It was a sea robin blitz!!!!

Found some birds working in close after a guy said there were small blues. I found out that the birds I was casting to were on a blitz, but it was a sea robin blitz.

Somewhat embarassing, yes.
    Even more embarassing was that I didn't leave and played it out. Managed 10 sea robins, all over 2#, in 45 minutes, on small metal. They must have been spawning, as they were pretty aggressive.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Even more embarassing was that I didn't leave and played it out.

Yep, sucks to be you I guess. I would of done the same thing, though. It's shameful to be so addicted that you need a tug at the end of the line no matter what. Look at me, I plugged for 4 hours tonight, nothing to show for it,.

Yo dark! Got me, made me look!

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    Yep, sucks to be you I guess. I would of done the same thing, though. It's shameful to be so addicted that you need a tug at the end of the line no matter what. Look at me, I plugged for 4 hours tonight, nothing to show for it,.
    Jigfreak, 4 hours is nothing, I opened the season with 4 trips of 7- 8 hours each with Skunk. Was wondering if I would catch a fish this year

Like Dark says its fishing, not catching. We enjoy fishing, catching is the icing on the cake.

Been in one or two sea robin blitzes (just never told anyone)
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Yeah dark, that's the kind of intel I would keep to myself aswell, but you did get me to open this thread, touche.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinmission78 View Post
    Yeah dark, that's the kind of intel I would keep to myself aswell, but you did get me to open this thread, touche.
    Honestly I was ready to say congratulations, you put in the time and deserve it.
    Based on starting this thread Dark, and luring us all here, you did deserve what you got.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Yep, guilty Monty.
    I wanted to see the response numbers (views) there would be to thread like this, compared to half the serious threads we put up here about fish conservation and state of the striped bass biomass.

Although nowhere in the opening lines will you see words like "bunker", "epic fishing" or "huge striped bass", plenty of people willl probably open a thread like this anyway, because the #1 concern out there for many fishermen is catching the biggest striped bass and being able to brag about it.

So this was a social experiment, if you will...it wasn't really about me telling the world about the sea robin blitz I ran into. Congrats to you and others who are smart enough to see that, and understand the reasons behind it.

And for the others, if ya feel ya's were tricked, well, at least you were entertained. Not many people would boast about being in a sea robin blitz, and ya's got to see that through my eyes. No shame in my game, folks, laugh or poke fun all ya want...

......and if we keep ignoring the consequences of indiscriminately taking every fish we are allowed to take, even when our freezers are full, maybe one day the sea robin will be the prized catch on our beaches, because it and dogfish and skates will be the only thing left... food for thought...

And for anyone who thinks the reasons I do these things is that I'm just an alarmist conservationist nutcase with no basis for my theories, I invite you to fish the surf in Japan, where over-fishing has decimated most inshore species to the extent that a 2# fish is considered a prize trophy fish. In some cases a 2# fish is big enough to win a surf tournament over there.

Think about that scenario above, before ya want to throw stones at me...I love fishin so much I'll do everything I can, not to see that happen...

Sure dark, everyone wants to hear about the big bass blitzes although we say anyone can catch a fish in a bunker blitz. you keep on catching them sea robins, I doubt they will be endangered anytime soon. As for the bass, thanks for trying to promote awareness.

Got me to look too!

I peeked in it expecting to see 40lb stripers, or at least a story about them, I want my money back!

Ha ha sea robin bliz. I want to be a part of that phone chain, put me on the list to call.

Dude, a sea robin blitz???

Snagged me too!

Very creative.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Smart man.

I was texting a good friend, how much I hate blitz fishing, and chasing after fish that are bashing bunker....because with the jetties gone....it becomes a frantic excercise, a race against time.....

If the tide happens to be in your favor....you may have them for an hour or so.....
    If not you may only have 15-20 minutes of action...

I know there are those out there who may say.....
    "Gee you should be grateful for that! Accept what you are given, and work with it!"

Sorry folks....
    a half hour shot at bass and bluefish, just isn't appealing to me.
    I could talk about the time when 2 weeks ago....it was a pure bite of bass and bunker.....bass pushed up on a monmouth county beach.....the largest fish was 45#...some friends were there....each pulled multiple fish over 20#....

But (I say this with all respect, and please realize it's just my opinion):
    a. That fishing, doesn't last.....it turns the anglers who are there, into frenzied fishermen....knowing it's a game of musical chairs without the jetties to hold those fish......
    Sometimes they're respectful....
    b. When you limit fishing opportunities.....sometimes tempers flare.....and it becomes a Monday night football quest to muscle out over the other guys.....when you turn around to unhook a fish.....even if you were there first....instantly 2 other fishermen appear in your spot....

I did enough of that back in the jetty days....pushing and shoving for position...threatening to throw the rudest guys into the water....that I know I don't want to do that fishing any more....it's just not relaxing to me......

To each his own....
    Just thought I would bring this thread up.....to perhaps bring some laughs to some readers as they were reading it......

Remember......
    1. You can't catch fish from the couch (or your armchair)
    2. Blink....and ya might miss the bite.....

Good luck out there, people....

I feel cheated! I clicked on this hoping to see blitz pics and you are talking about sea robins.
    It's all good I get your point. There is some good blitzes in the sound right now. This is an older vid. I picked it to let you gents know when the peanut bunkers come by you need to get ready.