Thread: Gov. Andrew Cuomo nixes Port Ambrose, the proposed natural gas terminal off Jones Beach

Default Gov. Andrew Cuomo nixes Port Ambrose, the proposed natural gas terminal off Jones Beach

Gov. Andrew Cuomo nixes Port Ambrose, the proposed natural gas terminal off Jones Beach

Updated November 12, 2015 1:29 PM
    By ELLEN YAN ellen.yan@newsday.com

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo has killed a proposed natural gas transfer station off Jones Beach, ending a venture whose projected fuel cost savings had been drowned by fears of fracking, terrorism and environmental damage.
    Cuomo's decision, announced early Thursday afternoon at the Long Beach Recreation Center, is not entirely unexpected because he came out last year against the controversial fracking...

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/n...ach-1.11116238

I was hoping for them terminals because the structure and bottom fishing opportunities they would create. I didn't think terrorism was that dangerous, any more dangerous than terrorism at a refinery, many of which are in urban areas. Do you have any opinion if that is good or bad? Am I just way off base here in my thinking? thanks

You would not have been allowed near the area, especially when the tanker was delivering.

We really could use more structure and piers in the area to hold fish. The oil wells in the Gulf are great fish nurseries. I got into some great times fishing redfish and others one year when I was working down in that area. The same should hold for up here. The security issue of keeping a perimeter around the area is dumb imo. If there is no benefit to fishermen there is no reason to support that stuff up here. Thank you for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by captnemo View Post
    The security issue of keeping a perimeter around the area is dumb imo. If there is no benefit to fishermen there is no reason to support that stuff up here.
    Agreed a crazy person could just as easily blow up the oil depots along the turnpike or one of the tunnels under the hudson river. And none of that has been done afaik. As was said not much of a risk. There should be no reason to keep fishermen away.

They should have allowed it. Look at all the oil platforms in the gulf. I believe there are some windmills off the southern coast as well. All good for business and energy. All good for the people that benefit from the taxes they pay. Not valid excuses for ban these things, folks. The fear of terrorism can be used as an excuse to justify limiting access to anything.

Keeping fishermen away? it is total BS they don't deserve to be there then.

A quote from the 2015 Massachusetts Ocean Management Plan:

Natural Gas Pipelines

The Neptune and Northeast Gateway LNG pipelines were used minimally since 2009 as ship-delivered natural gas markets were more lucrative outside of the United States. On July 24, 2012, the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Maritime Administration approved a request from Neptune LNG LLC to amend its federal Deepwater Port License to include a five-year temporary suspension of port operations. Neptune’s request indicated that recent conditions within the Northeast region’s natural gas market had significantly impacted the Neptune Port’s operational status and its ability to receive a consistent supply of natural gas imports. As a result, the Neptune Port has remained inactive over the past several years and will likely remain inactive for the foreseeable future. The suspension period became effective on June 26, 2013, and will extend for a period of five years.

The Northeast Gateway Deepwater Port opened in 2009 and remains open. There were six visits to the port by specialized Energy Bridge Regasification Vessels (EBRV) between February 2008 and December 2009. There was no natural gas delivery on the first visit in February 2008 (it was strictly a commissioning event), there was a 33% cargo delivery in May 2008, a full cargo delivery that began in January 2009 and was not completed until May 2009 due to a methane hydrate blockage, a < 5% cargo delivery in November 2009, a full cargo delivery in December 2009, and a second delivery in December 2009 that was not successful because of an equipment malfunction.

http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/eea/oce...2-complete.pdf

Another interesting article, please note the quote from the Director of communications:

February 9, 2015
    By PennEnergy Editorial Staff

Excelerate Energy has begun to use one of its idled ports again this January, according to the Gloucester Times.

The Northeast Gateway Deepwater Port, located 13 miles south of Gloucester, Massachusetts, opened in 2008 when natural gas prices were high, The Boston Globe reported. Though it was a $350 million investment, it was then shut down in 2010 as natural gas prices fell and the use of the facility was no longer economically beneficial to Excelerate. However, the company did not entirely decommission the facility.

While the company has not announced long-term plans for the port, it used the location to unload natural gas into the Algonquin Gas Transmission pipeline from a Floating Storage Regassifaction Unit vessel.

If market conditions improve, Excelerate may begin to use the port more often.

"Excelerate Energy would make more deliveries if market conditions are favorable," said Excelerate Director of Communications Denise Madera, in an email to the Gloucester Times. "We maintain [it] in a state of readiness so that deliveries can be made if market conditions warrant."

http://www.pennenergy.com/articles/p...achusetts.html

Quote Originally Posted by njdiver View Post
    The Northeast Gateway Deepwater Port, located 13 miles south of Gloucester, Massachusetts, opened in 2008 when natural gas prices were high, The Boston Globe reported. Though it was a $350 million investment, it was then shut down in 2010 as natural gas prices fell and the use of the facility was no longer economically beneficial to Excelerate. However, the company did not entirely decommission the facility.

If market conditions improve, Excelerate may begin to use the port more often.

"Excelerate Energy would make more deliveries if market conditions are favorable," said Excelerate Director of Communications Denise Madera, in an email to the Gloucester Times. "We maintain [it] in a state of readiness so that deliveries can be made if market conditions warrant."

http://www.pennenergy.com/articles/p...achusetts.html
    They spent 350 million on a facility that they shut down in cases where the gas prices are not high enough. There must be so much profit in natural gas. Like having a Brinks truck sitting offshore you can use whenever you want. Why build something that will only be used periodically? I tend to favor folks making money and think Cuomo should not have tabled it. Nothing wrong with capitalism. Would like to see the platform outside area be allowed to be used by fishermen though. jmo

165.117 Regulated Navigation Areas, Safety, and Security Zones: Deepwater Ports, First Coast Guard District.

(Snip)

165.117 Regulated Navigation Areas, Safety and Security Zones: Deepwater Ports, First Coast Guard District.

(a) Location(1) Regulated navigation areas. All waters within a 1,000 meter radius of the geographical positions set forth in paragraph (a)(3) of this section are designated as regulated navigation areas.

(2) Safety and security zones. All waters within a 500-meter radius of the geographic positions set forth in paragraph (a)(3) of this section are designated as safety and security zones.

(3) Coordinates. (i) The geographic coordinates forming the loci for the regulated navigation areas, safety and security zones for the Northeast Gateway Deepwater Port are: 42?23′38″ N, 070?35′31″ W; and 42?23′56″ N, 070?37′00″ W (NAD 83).

(Snip)

(d) Regulations. (1) No vessel may anchor, engage in diving operations, or commercial fishing using nets, dredges, traps (pots), or use of remotely operated vehicles (ROVs) in the regulated navigation areas set forth in paragraph (a)(1) of this section.

(2) In accordance with the general regulations in 165.23 and 165.33 of this part, entry into or movement within the safety and security zones designated in paragraph (a)(2) of this section is prohibited unless authorized by the COTP Boston, or his/her authorized representative.

(Snip)

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-200...sec165-117.xml

Very interesting. According to that no commercial fishing or pots. It does say you can't anchor there. It doesn't say anything about recreational fishing, like drifting through the area. So that might be allowed, no?

Read the last paragraph.

Oops, i missed it. This stuff gets so confusing it is mind numbing. Thanks for pointing that out. I read the 2nd to last paragraph and it seemed to only exclude the ones I mentioned. That sucks. There is no reason to have those guys out there then. No benefit to fishermen and as mentioned they didn't use the other platform full time. Only if gas prices are high enough.

Just wanted to publically thank NJ diver for his efforts here. When you look back and think how much of the internet community is happy to sit by and watch others get involved and do the speaking, protesting, and raising awareness, over the years his posts have allowed an awareness to be raised about many of these issues that a lot of folks don't seem to have time for.

Pots off the reefs, the delineation between commercial and recreational fishing areas, fishing access....to name a few.
    He tirelessly puts up these posts to keep all communities informed, and hopefully stir involvement.
    A genuine thanks for everything, G.....
    I know it must seem like a thankless task sometimes...given the apathy we face in modern times....
    I know you're a pretty humble guy...and don't need or expect thanks....

But I for one....just wanted to put a big thanks out there...for all you do...and the awareness you try to raise...

You are more than welcome. Already working on beach access with Jersey Shore Chapter of Surfrider and gearing up for SMZ status for our reefs.

Thank you for fighting the good fight, sir. Much appreciated.