Thread: Catch and Release Striped Bass Tourneys

Default Catch and Release Striped Bass Tourneys

Some issues have come up recently about these tourneys.....
    Thought I would put up a few basic common sense thoughts

If anyone else has anything to add....by all means feel free....

C&R tourneys are beginning to gain popularity....
    I'm hearing about big promos on Facebook and other social media....

The purpose of this thread
    is to educate and raise awareness.....just some pointers along the way that some of us may have learned.......

Basic Points...
    1. If you are in a C&R tourney...it's your obligation to release that fish alive after you catch and document it...

2. Taking a lot of time to do that...if the fish goes back dead....is probably something you should plan carefully for ahead of time...

3. C&R means just that.....whatever tourney rules there are should be followed carefully.....and diligently.

4. The Ethics dilemma comes into play here....because often no one is watching what you do after you take the pic.....it really depends on an individual's integrity......that's why some of the tourneys are now pairing 2 fishermen together...as a sort of way to make sure that there is no shenanigans or unsportsmanlike behavior.....

a. To spell it out more clearly.....If you enter a fish into a C&R contest, and then take that fish home with you.....to me (and others) that is below the level of poor sportsmanship..... and says a lot about a person's poor character.

b. Also, if you ever decide to weigh in one fish caught by one person, as 2 separate entries....be aware that there are lots of eyes to notice.....unless it's in a completely isolated area....you might just get caught....and then what would your reputation be worth?

5. There is no shame in eating a legally caught fish.
    But if you do enter a C&R tourney, that's exactly what it means.....please be aware of what should be common sense.
    If any out there are aware of folks not complying with the rules, you can either point it out to them....or report them to the tourney organizers.....

Just a few thoughts I had....feel free to add yours....thanks for reading....

I see a lot of "selfies" being taken (as part of the requirement to prove which angler caught the fish).

My gripe is that most guys are sticking their hands in the gill plates to take these pictures. That can't be healthy for the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    I see a lot of "selfies" being taken (as part of the requirement to prove which angler caught the fish).

My gripe is that most guys are sticking their hands in the gill plates to take these pictures. That can't be healthy for the fish.
    Should be length measurement on beach with a contest sign of some sort in the pic.
    Boga's suck and selfies are stupid.
    JMHO.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)