Thread: 2 fishermen die nov 27

Default 2 fishermen die nov 27

7 people that usually fish near Manasquan inlet in a Pontoon boat flipped it today and 2 died. We see them there most days anchored wrong .

http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf...epage-featured

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

How big was that boat? seems such a shame. R.i.p

The article below it says between 30 and 35 feet. that's a strange boat to bring into the ocean. however,30 years ago they used to launch 18 foot car toppers into the ocean at Monmouth Beach. thoughts and prayers for the families, Rip
    http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf...mercer_article

Those pontoon boats are meant for freshwater lakes. Most are sold with the bare minimum horsepower. Wouldn't want to brave Manasquan inlet with one.

I was on the Hoffman docks a month ago and watched as a large transient sailboat from Florida's auxiliary motor couldn't keep up with the current. The current slammed him into the railroad bridge.

Agreed. Don't want to judge but what were they thinking. Thoughts and prayers sent. Very sad.

Rip

Capt Al Ristori posted this in his blog today. I definitely agree. No disrespect intended. They had no business being outside the inlet in that boat.

"A boating tragedy that never should never have happened

While riding through a nasty Manasquan Inlet on Black Friday aboard Lil' Brother from Brielle Yacht Club, I heard one of the crew comment "That pontoon boat may have a hard time getting through the inlet." It wasn't until after I did my blog that night that I saw the TV news mentioning the overturning of that vessel with the consequent loss of two lives in an accident that never should have happened.

Pontoon boats are not seaworthy craft. They were designed for small lakes and bays, and can handle some wind, but are not suited to deal with swells and the confused seas that can be expected at the mouth of an inlet during an outgoing full moon current.

The inlet had been very rough even on the incoming tide earlier that morning, when the current was with the big swell, leaving no question that it would be much worse when the strong current would flow into the swell. Ignoring that reality led directly to tragedy..

As one who gained boating experience dealing with dangerous sand bar-fronted inlets on Long Island's south shore, Manasquan Inlet seemed like a safe inlet when I moved my center console from Montauk to Point Pleasant several decades ago. It was usually only a problem when there was a hard southeast wind or large swell up against outgoing water. Yet, with no sand bar in front and plenty of depth, it was very predictable. Just catch a wave on the outside and ride its back right inside to a soft landing. Getting ahead of the wave could result in an overturning by being spun around and swamped or overturned by the next breaker. My biggest worry under those conditions was riding the wave in with the bow up and visibility lost while hoping an outgoing jet ski wouldn't show up under the bow.

Capt. Jim Freda was coming in just behind the pontoon boat with his Shore Catch, and was able to rescue a couple of the boaters. Contrary to news reports, Freda is a charter skipper ? not a commercial fisherman"

www.nj.com

They use them a lot on the hudson river by newburg in the spring. That's a lot calmer than the ocean though. Sad story. Thoughts and prayers.

It was hard to tell the size of this boat from the pic but when I saw it it looked like a aluminum boat about 16-18'. Pretty dicey to fish out of in an inlet this time of year. Pic grab from a surf cam.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3903.JPG