Thread: Season Ending Injury and boot foot waders

Default Season Ending Injury and boot foot waders

Well never thought this could happen to me and I wasn't sure id announce this.

Got into this trout fishing kick and this stream is a known rocky and slippery one, and I ended up breaking my ankle Friday.

The other thing i do in general is stay with things i know and i been wearing boot foot waders for forever and im sure I tuned out any talk on disadvantages on certain terrain.

Was a simple turn and step out of 4 inches of water and my left toe tripped up on a taller rock and my momentum sent me backwards and i think having the extra rubber and space to contend with play a big role, my right foot buckled toward my instep, gravity took over and i felt like i just couldn't get it out from under weight.

When i took off the boots things got surreal and i actually ended up setting it back just instinctively, i wanst too deep in woods yet somehow not even sure how I walked/hoped 150 yards to the truck.

I hate to sound like the Be careful out there guys but i got to rethink these boots on sand and mud creeks should be fine.

This is a bad one its my driver leg and i cant really move around yet. The warm days i was so envious . 2015

Sucks to hear that man. Just
    when you were catching some nice fish fresh and salt. Hope it heals up.

Dam thats harsh. I was fishing the barney jetty one night, it was about 8 hours before a scheduled noreaster. I was near the tip and the tide was coming in. Was with a bud, lucky he was there. One of the waves was rogue and we both took a header that knocked us down. I slipped as I was moving back trying to avoid it, fell into a hole, and broke the front part of my foot as I landed on it and twisted it. Had to limp around like a cripple for 2 mos while it healed. I don't know why I didn't break my ankle. Really should have. Just lucky I guess.

I feel your pain brother. Rest up and do whatever the Dr says.

Sorry for your troubles. T&P for quick recovery.

Thanks for the heads up I agree. There's a lot of give in the boot foots. Better with the wading boots like chukka or ones that have spikes already in the sole.

What a game ender. Breakage is not always the worst at least you can get the xray and have a plan. Compare that to a bad sprain which takes forever to heal. Did they put your foot in a cast? It must be painful. Hope not too much and that you get back in the action come spring.

Thanks everyone! yeah big heavy cast Dr actually said that break was preferred over ligament tears deep sprain etc, he said the way i twisted inward its very lucky the ligament didnt tear, and apparently breaking the fibula iwas way less common but is better then tibula because its not weight bearing.

catch em up at the end here, i ll be reading, all i got to do lol

Get well quick Matt

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Hope you get well soon. Loved your salt/freshwater posts and the things you tried to teach as you did. I'm sure as you said you were pretty careful. Those streams and rivers can be tricky.

Sorry to hear that Matt. I broke my ankle about a year ago....... the Winter we had when it was real cold and windy. Stupid move..... not even fishing related. I was carrying heavy items outside and twisted to avoid a wind gust. Next thing I know I'm on the ground in pain...... I knew right away it was broken.

As was said earlier, I think a break is better than a bad sprain. Heals more cleanly, though mine still hurts a little to this day when I put a lot of physical work hours/ pressure on it, or it's rainy out. What fun it is to get older......

I guess this means you'll have more time to keep setting folks straight on Facebook....better you than me, pal.....
    Thanks for the effort you put in......trying to educate people.....
    And may God bless you with a speedy recovery.

"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau.

I saw some of those trout pics you posted its like you really do manage to catch a lot. The wading experience I have is in a river in ct and there is some rocks and current.def can be dicey. Feel better, spring is around the corner judging by this mild december.

Sorry to hear that, the bootfoot are nice in the surf as you don't get the sand inside the boots but I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing them on a jetty or any other slippery rocks.

Do you wear korkers as well when wading these rivers?

Sad to hear. The rocks are great for trout and other creatures to hide behind. Can be treacherous as well. Feel better.

thanks again guys, i never wear korkers in the fresh. This issue wasnt a slip It just stated with a light trip on the leg that didn't break and i think the space inside the bootfoot helped the ankle roll and the reduced dexterity didn't help me free the foot.

i am an admitted cheap skate so i try to use the waders as all purpose then look what happens.

Good luck in the healing SharkHart.
    I am a boot foot wader person on the sand and when I used to fish the streams. Had felt on the bottoms when I fished the streams.
    I have made a few trips to the Montauk rocky areas with the wader boot foots and Korkers and really didn't have ankle problems, and I found that amazing. Now I have boots with studs and the boot waders with the korkers for up there and depending on the conditions choose between the two. The boots certainly provide extra support, but again, I am amazed with all the rocks out there my ankles are still OK. Hope your up and around soon.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)