Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uncle Josh closing its doors

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Are all the Uncle Josh products going to be discontinued (these)?

Not sure but from the way I read it seems so. Time to stock up.

From otw.com
    "There is still Uncle josh available for purchase on their website, and at tackle retailers throughout the Northeast. Once it's gone, it's gone."
    http://www.onthewater.com/after-93-y...ng-pork-rinds/

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    I am relatively new to fishing with "pork".
    But there is one area I fish where it is the "go to" artificial.
    Depending on the current there its pork on a 1 1/2 oz to 5 oz bucktail.

I'm thinking its a real game changer for a bunch of real Striper fisherman.
    Makes you shake your head when such a long time traditional old school fishing "tool" I guess you would call it, is just discontinued.

I guess who needs pork when you can drop off a bunker chunk 200 yards off a beach or in a channel with a drone......
    In my perfect world we would have pork and drones would be shoved up their owners @ss....
    We have to be willing to embrace change otherwise most of us would still be fishing like a caveman and hand lining.

I'm sure all the guys fishing Dacron in 1938 said monofilament sucked...50 years later and nobody was fishing with Dacron anymore?

I like gulp but its too soft/expensive for stripers. I can get a hit with buck/pork and be confident that that fish will hit it again. I don't have to worry...did my soft grub get pulled down the shank?

Distributors are getting lots should not feel the effect for 2 years. Liquid clouds after a year but Rhine is still good we have some on the boat that is over 4 years old and is still fine

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    I like gulp but its too soft/expensive for stripers. I can get a hit with buck/pork and be confident that that fish will hit it again.
    Good point. Also gulp won't work as well when the water is real cold. Sometimes there is nothing as effective as tipping with pork, or if you can get them, sand worms. Used to be deadly for weakies.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Distributors are getting lots should not feel the effect for 2 years. Liquid clouds after a year but Rhine is still good we have some on the boat that is over 4 years old and is still fine
    Its weird because I have pork that rotted away in the brine from fall to spring and then I have other jars of pork that are several years old.

I saw Uncle Josh stated they had at least one years supply on hand to fulfill orders.

At this point I can't help but to think that this was some sort of marketing scheme to get people to buy pork "before its gone"....like the car dealers. Buy now before they are all gone!!!

Howard Schultz at one point removed the ring around Starbucks long time logo. It was a big fuss about such a meaningless change. Later on in an interview when asked why he did it he said something along the lines of...It got people talking about Starbucks and gave us a ton of free publicity.

Will Uncle Josh a year from now announce that thanks to high demand they are making pork again and now selling then at a higher price point? That's my guess

The one question I have is if making Pork rinds is not profitable why pre-make a 1-2 year supply of them before closing that line of business down?

Old stuff seemed better maybe better raw material

They ran all their raw material. used up all packaging. the company is staying in business. only the uncle Josh part will cease to exist . Acme cast master and other parts of the business will move forward

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    Will Uncle Josh a year from now announce that thanks to high demand they are making pork again and now selling then at a higher price point? That's my guess

The one question I have is if making Pork rinds is not profitable why pre-make a 1-2 year supply of them before closing that line of business down?
    I'll be glad to store some pork backs in a semi-refrigerated state for ya for a few years.
    Maybe that will toughen em up and you'll launch a new business venture, just like that ground chum I gave ya in the summer....let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Old stuff seemed better maybe better raw material
    I think that applies to you old farts as well. Seems like God just made you guys out of tougher mettle. Built to roll with the punches. Wish we could turn back the hands of time sometimes.

"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12