Thread: year of the peanut bunker ?

Default year of the peanut bunker ?

that's all I'm hearing about peanut bunker peanut bunker. One guy here got a bunch of stripers in the middle of peanuts. Wondering if you think there's more this year than usual, and if that will impact the late fall fishing? Thanks

Yep it definitely is. Until the sand eels show up.

That would be great. Last great year of peanuts was 2009 if I remember correctly.

That was a fantastic fall. Peanuts up an down the beach n getting slaughtered. There was also a good run of peanuts around 2013. They stayed until late November. Got some good fish off of them.

2017 is going to be even better. I live right down the street from the bay. Peanuts are here in epic proportions. School after school. Today there must be 100 boats fishing for fluke near the sailboats. Looks like a parking lot.

Better hope the storms don't push them out of bays and rivers before fish get here

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

You have a good point but I don't think so. Stripers in the channels and bigger fluke already feeding on the peanut bunker. There are so many this year it would take a 2 weeks of sustained hurricane weather to clear them all out, jmo

There were a lot more peanuts last year, they were everywhere. Creeks, channels, bays, ocean

Yes the creeks and harbors have a lot of peanuts this year but nothing like last year - just my opinion and what I see from the ports I regularly fish out of RB to NY Harbor to MI

Wow you guys are so lucky. We have adult bunker around the backside of cape may. They were thick until the end of june. I totally think the smaller peanuts get more things going on in the food chain.

Was in NYC during the weekend and stopped by some of the hudson piers to walk around. There are a lot of peanut bunker way up there as well.