Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beach/Fishing Access losses and updates NJ

I was walking some of my favorite beaches this morning at low tide. I think the sand replenishment started a series of bad consequences that was the worst possible decision making process. All it did was cause more sand to move North which it does naturally anyway.
    Many of these ACOE folks will retire with 6 figure pensions. This is one of the biggest wastes of taxpayer money that I can remember. For shame that 30 years from now it will be realized that this was a waste. Too late after hundreds of millions of dollars are spent throwing this money out to sea. literally.

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    hundreds of millions of dollars are spent throwing this money out to sea. literally.
    This is a breakdown of the spending I found on the net. $65 millionfor sea bright to long branch alone. Despicable.
    Attachment 18698
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 390ce9b6_1-0c300e33dd.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    I was walking some of my favorite beaches this morning at low tide. I think the sand replenishment started a series of bad consequences that was the worst possible decision making process. All it did was cause more sand to move North which it does naturally anyway.
    Many of these ACOE folks will retire with 6 figure pensions. This is one of the biggest wastes of taxpayer money that I can remember. For shame that 30 years from now it will be realized that this was a waste. Too late after hundreds of millions of dollars are spent throwing this money out to sea. literally.
    All that $$ to completely screw up the Jersey coast so that people could basically steal tax payers money.
    Take 1/10th the money, build jails, lock them up and throw away the key.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

I hear you monty it is crazy with all the federal dollars pouring in. On the other hand I think the bayshore really needs help. They are doing a massive rebuild in the port monmouth area.

$110M Port Monmouth flood control project will ease storm fears, officials say

By MaryAnn Spoto | The Star-Ledger The Star-Ledger
    Email the author | Follow on Twitter
    on August 01, 2014 at 1:57 PM

When Mike Finnegan thinks of the massive flood control project that recently started in the Port Monmouth section of Middletown, he thinks of what might have been.A project that’s been on the books for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for more than a decade but not implemented because of a lack of funding, the work, he said, surely would have spared him and the other residents in that side of town from the devastation that Hurricane Sandy delivered 21 months ago.
    With the $110 million project finally under way, residents, local officials and the federal government are betting that one of the most vulnerable spots of this sprawling Bayshore community in Monmouth County can finally breathe a sigh of relief.
    “These flood control systems really work. They really make a difference,” said township administrator Anthony Mercantante. “You can’t get better proof than what we have here.”
    The proof, Mercantante said, is the system of levees and pumps installed in the community’s North Middletown section in the 1970s. Sandy delivered storm surges higher than 13 feet, yet homes in North Middletown, which are only 1 or 2 feet off the ground, stayed dry.
    In Port Monmouth, however, where there is no flood control system, homes that are several feet off the ground were severely damaged or destroyed. Many residents there are still trying to rebuild after Sandy. Many homes still stand battered and vacant.
    http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf...cials_say.html

I tried fishing friday afternoon. I knew the surf was probably not fishable so I choose a spot in the back that would be sheltered from the winds.

The long trail leading to the water has been destroyed since Sandy and this was the old sign. People still fished it and the officials looked the other way. We always thought the sign was more for liability purposes in case somebody got hurt along the pathway.

Attachment 18923

The new sign and a big fence extending into the water blocking access.

Attachment 18924

Not a favorite spot of mine but any access lost puts added pressure on the remaining spots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20141003_180258.jpg   20141003_180247.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    I tried fishing friday afternoon. I knew the surf was probably not fishable so I choose a spot in the back that would be sheltered from the winds.

The long trail leading to the water has been destroyed since Sandy and this was the old sign. People still fished it and the officials looked the other way. We always thought the sign was more for liability purposes in case somebody got hurt along the pathway.

Attachment 18923

The new sign and a big fence extending into the water blocking access.

Attachment 18924

Not a favorite spot of mine but any access lost puts added pressure on the remaining spots.
    Man That suxx. By the time theyre done closing off all the access we will only be able to fish SH, IBSP, the inlets, and some sedges.
    New tourist slogan- Welcome to NJ with open arms. Just don't expect to have a lot of fishing access when you come here.

Enjoy the jetties while you can kiddies. this time next year we will be like the old men sitting on the barstools talking about how strong and tough we were back in the day lol. The new guys in the game will look at us and shake their heads -
    you mean you had jetties? wow! what where they like?

Just wondering if any of you guys who live close to this know if we will still have fishing access to the river if they decide to put a new Rumson bridge in? thanks

http://co.monmouth.nj.us/page.aspx?Id=3993

I dont know for sure but heard that new bridge will take over the fishing access. Every year we lose a little more. Sucks if its true.

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    I dont know for sure but heard that new bridge will take over the fishing access. Every year we lose a little more. Sucks if its true.
    that really does suck as it's the last really good bridge in the area... not sure if Sea Bright will fight to maintain any angler access, even as bad as the access is *there* right now

Don't know if this qualifies for this thread but it sucks. That was a good club back in the day. Now its gone. Maybe we can fish the beach until they decide what they're going to do with it.
    http://www.app.com/videos/news/2015/05/30/28094817/

Gool ol Surf Club. Good times bands and drunk hotties. Yes I'll miss it too. They're going to pave paradise and put up a parking lot.

Interesting article in yesterday's Atlantic City Herald. Hope it helps people to start thinking about these issues.

http://www.ahherald.com/columns-list/on-the-horizon/21054-up-and-down-the-jersey-shore,-beach-access-drama-galore

Default Latest on Public Access...

Here is a new Rule Proposal published by the NJDEP:

http://www.nj.gov/dep/rules/proposals/20160906a.pdf

Here is where you can comment in writing on it:

http://www.nj.gov/dep/rules/comments/

Here is where and when you can ask questions:

A public hearing concerning this proposal will be held on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 6:00 P.M at:

City of Long Branch Municipal Building Council Chambers
    344 Broadway, 2nd Floor
    Long Branch, NJ 07740

Loss for longport. I follow this guy greg on fb he is very outspoken.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails longport.jpg  

This is a place i fish alot. Really sucks. Millionaires marina will ruin njs most popular park.
    http://nj1015.com/millionaires-marin...sey-city-says/

Heads up for any of the guys who fish rb in the back, some of the public lots at cliffwood are now fenced in and closed after 7pm. Access up to then is ok but we rarely fish in the day. Stupid kids and partying, and the H problem had a lot to do with it. Shame.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123