Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: raritan bay and ocean area temps

Just read this on the net.
    "The end of the incoming in the Manasquan River this AM dropped the temp guage on our boat to 44.5 deg."
    thats pretty cold.

I saw that at the monitor in keansburg the water tempure was around 64. If the ocean temperature is only around 44 or 45? thats a difference of about 20 degrees. I hope this doesn't sound stupid but to me it seems like a big difference. does anyone think that could be having an impact on the overall fishing as well?

Figured I would jump start this thread with some readings. Its still very hot in the back of the bay. The daily water temps have been up to 80 degrees in the back bay. The good news is that over the last week the morning temps are starting to go down. In some cases they dropped to 72 degrees when I took the readings. I was near belmar the other day and took a ocean reading it was around 72. So the bay has a little ways to go yet before the action gets better. The drops in the past week are better than nothing though. We should start seeing some decent stripers soon. There is too much bait for them not to come back there.

Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
    Just read this on the net.
    "The end of the incoming in the Manasquan River this AM dropped the temp guage on our boat to 44.5 deg."
    thats pretty cold.

That is an amazing statistic that at the end of may that water there was 44.5 degrees. Must have been some S/SE wind that week or something.

Temperatures in the ocean have gone down to 66 degrees. anyone else think when this bad weather stops the ocean will be alive with bait, stripers, and blues?

Hopefully this storm didn't push them out of the bays and flying south I've seen it happen before in the heyday when there was allot more fish

Usually around Saint Patrick's day the bay starts to empty which is next week I hope I'm wrong but this storm is not good especially after last week it's been NE for 2 weeks NW is what makes for a good fall

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Usually around Saint Patrick's day the bay starts to empty which is next week I hope I'm wrong but this storm is not good especially after last week it's been NE for 2 weeks NW is what makes for a good fall

St Patty's day? no offense but were you drinking green beer before you posted that? Perhaps you meant another holiday?

St Patty's day? no offense but were you drinking green beer before you posted that? Perhaps you meant another holiday?
    nope

Try Glenlivet next time it is a lot smoother than cat in the hat beer.

Ocean temperatures are almost perfect. Last night I took a reading of 66 degrees. Striper time.

Even better than that the temps are now in the zone. Ocean is 59. The bay temps have been hovering in the 50's. One bad set of days was around the 18th when temps plummetted over 15 degrees in one night with that cold northwest wind. Went from over 60 to 45 in one night and gave some of the fish lockjaw. This week they have been in the mid 50s perfect striper water. The problem is not too many fish are here.

They are showing 51 degrees for monmouth and ocean county. I think it was like 50 last week. This noreaster should make it even warmer we may get to 52. Very warm for so late in the year. Hope after the rains some bass will still be around.

Saw this from the NWS- what a december to remember
    "Warmest December on Record!
    The monthly average at the Philadelphia International Airport was 51.2 degrees for December 2015, the next warmest was December 1923 which averaged 44.5 degrees.

Additionally, the December 2015 Monthly Average High Temperature was 58.2 degrees in Philadelphia. This also breaks the previous record of 51.0 degrees, which occurred back in 1889.

Finally, the month of December showed 13 days of temperatures which reached 60 degrees or higher. This exceeds the most number of 60 degree days in December prior to this year which was 8 in 1951 and 1998."

Last I saw the ocean temperatures were 42. Great for blackfishing n cod slow for many others.

Took a walk along the surf in MC this morning. Would say that is about right.

Have been taking a few morning and afternoon walks. Still getting readings around 40-41.

Temps are trending up this week in the bay folks. Just took a reading of 49. Won't be long now before it's mayhem.

Just saw that meant Columbus day

No worries it did cause me to think you were slightly plastered when posting tho.

Quote Originally Posted by ledhead36 View Post
    Temps are trending up this week in the bay folks. Just took a reading of 49. Won't be long now before it's mayhem.

I just checked the uscg raritan bay site and they have been between 45-49 degrees the last few days. I agree it won't be long and thanks for all of your insight.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast