Thread: Kayak trips & fishing reports 2009

Hybrid View

Default Thanks

Dark, w2f- Thanks for the reports/pics. They are looked forward to by me, having never tried this type of fishing. Please keep them coming. Looks like fun.

Quote Originally Posted by surfwalker View Post
    Dark, w2f- Thanks for the reports/pics. They are looked forward to by me, having never tried this type of fishing. Please keep them coming. Looks like fun.
    Your welcome....hopefully another good report from this coming weekend!!!

The detail you guys described these trips makes me feel as if I was on the kayak myself.

Default Jamaica bay 5-4-09 pm trip

I'm gonna try this format for this kayak section to make it easier to review as part of my logbook. You other guys can throw it down however ya want, this is something I thought would make it easier for me, that's all.

************************************************** ***************************
    Date Fished:
    Time fished:
    Tide Stage:
    Weather:
    Surf Conditions:
    General Location:
    Fishing Method:
    Type of lure/fly:
    Water Temp:
    fish caught/size:
    Report:

Date Fished: 5/4/09
    Time fished: 12-6am
    Tide Stage: Outgoing and incoming
    Weather: Rainy, Windy
    Surf Conditions: 1- 1 1/2 feet swells, low duration
    Fishing by: Kayak
    General Location: Jamaica Bay
    Fishing Method: Live bunker, clams, and topwater poppers
    Type of lure/fly: poppers and Ace Bait bunker profile swimmer
    Water Temp: maybe mid 50's
    fish caught: 5 bluefish
    size: 2-8#
    Report:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5-04-09 006.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	6559

Name:	5-04-09 009.jpg 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	6560

Jamaica bay last night 12-6am. , I was the only idiot out there in the rain and the wind in that area. I anchored in a piece of open water, but was worried the waves and wind would capsize the kayak.

Stayed at an area of structure for 1 1/2 hours, fishing bunker and clams, nothing, then back to channels where I got 5 bluefish on bunker chunks.

The most pods of bunker were in a harbor. They were there all night with fish on them. However, I feel the fish that were harassing them were bluefish. Last week I saw bunker jump a foot or 2 out of the water when there were no bluefish around, so I'm assuming bigger bass last week.

Last night, the profilles of the predators running through the schools seemed smaller, so that's why I'm assuming only bluefish. You can never tell if there is at least one big bass underneath them though.

I paddled out to some structure, and there were no bunker there at first. They came after an hour, around 330am, before high tide, but they were scattered. The wind and waves made it tough to snag them, so I went back into the harbor. The bunker were concentrated in the main channel.

However, snagging and dropping there did nothing except get the bunker chopped up by bluefish. So I chunked with one rod, and fished plugs with another. Nothing on the plugs, 5 bluefish on the chunk.

Name:	5-04-09 007.jpg 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	6561