well lets see i can tell you my story if you care lol....

im the kind of guy that when i see something i always think of how did thay do that and how can i ....

simple as that i went to the local home depot and got my self a dowel some sand paper and a can of yellow spray paint.
started to sand and sand till i got something i thought would work lol boy was i wrong thing never worked.
im not one that likes to fail so i keep at it.
i started to take a closer look asking a bunch of questions along the way.

the number one thing that all the better guys told me is to stick to one style lure and work on it to do what you want it to do.
so i did that i keep making duds and turds yes i did get fed up at times but always went back to it.

today im a small time commercial builder that still makes many mistakes and learn from it each time.

now to answer all you questions is going to be hard so what i will recommend is what was told to me pick a style lure and run with it.

example take a plug you have had in you bag that you like swim it take notes.
than try to make one as close as you can to the same shape.
try different weighting to see how it will make it swim.
just by doing this you will quickly under stand the basics of plug building.

now for some pics of mine
my first ever plug dont laugh to hard.

and this is something i just painted about 20 min ago lol not done yet but i think it looks cool ...

some of my regular stuff.

point is dont give up if you run in to bumps along the way i will be more than happy to pass on what i Have learned over the years to you as it was taught to me.