Thread: any one getting herring lately?

Hybrid View

Hey all I was wondering if you or anyone you know is getting herring. I read some reports about them getting them in long island and thought they might be here too. Also just a little confused. The herring fishing is closed so does that mean we can't fish for the winter herring too? Aren't they a different species? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hookedonbass View Post
    Hey all I was wondering if you or anyone you know is getting herring. I read some reports about them getting them in long island
    They have shown up in the sound and not just one but quite a few locations. I would be surprised if you folks are not seeing them as well. Try incoming tide at the end of day with sabiki rigs.

Was out this afternoon looking. Quite a few out fishing. Didn't see a herring or fish caught in 15 mile space of shoreline, inlet included. Maybe soon but they weren't there today.

Quote Originally Posted by BassBuddah View Post
    I would be surprised if you folks are not seeing them as well. Try incoming tide at the end of day with sabiki rigs.
    You're right on the $$. They just showed up in RB. Have to be on a dock or pier to catch. Sea herring. The old guys are catching ok. Ask dark he knows some of them too. May give it a try this weekend.

thanks ledhead. some small stripers showed up recently. Do you guys think its in any way related to the herring?

A fair amount of Bass showed up in SNJ back bays and someone I know actually got a teen fish which did have 2 Intact herring inside. Most fish were slot sized but footballs so I dod suspect they followed small patches of herring in.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkHart View Post
    A fair amount of Bass showed up in SNJ back bays and someone I know actually got a teen fish which did have 2 Intact herring inside. Most fish were slot sized but footballs so I dod suspect they followed small patches of herring in.
    Good news thanks for the intel. A guy I know just got a bunch of em in jbay. New years blitz?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	159642.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	19129

thanks sharkhart. Nice sized herring 7deadly!