Some good stuff here, people.

I had some thoughts on Christmas and getting older....
As we get older, so do our parents....there may come a time when you have to care for them, or look after them more regularly, even if they live by themselves.....The dynamics of doing this are not appreciated by many busy younger families.....hence the growth in nursing homes and assisted living facilities in this country.......

For quite a few years, my Mom, when she was in better health, would play Santa at some of these nursing homes...Pebbles and I would play Santa's helpers as she made up dozens of cookie and small gift care packages to give to the old folks at some of these homes.....

It was rewarding and fulfilling...at the same time sad when you realized that some of these older folks, had family that lived close by, but that they never saw....even in the best nursing homes, to me there was still a fair amount of sadness....this gave us a resolve that we would never put my Mom in one.....

I know others faced with these decisions and choices...and what I say to them is...each decision is based on your circumstances....It's not fair to judge someone else for putting their family member in a home....
It's just something that we decided we are not doing, in our family......

My words below, are designed to reach out to those of us, who are caring for an elderly parent.....in this season of Christmas, and for all the other days of the year........

[I know this has been a very challenging year for you and your family.
I don't think these health issues will get any better for them. I hope and pray that God is merciful and is watching over them so they do not have to endure suffering. As all of our parents and family members get older, I think it's a reminder of our own mortality.....

The idea that their ailments, could someday be a part of our lives...as many ailments and illnesses affect those closest genetically.....

The idea that our days will someday be numbered.....
The irony that the small inconveniences of caring for someone else's daily needs....will, down the road, be the same small inconveniences that someone else has to go through...for us......

Some that I respect greatly....have told me the following.....
"We are all dying....one day at a time.....some of us just get there faster than others...."

I think the above does apply...but it's also true that we are living.....one day at a time....Every Day is a precious gift from God.......

What we do with it, is up to us....
No matter how bad our lives are......someone else always has it harder........
That doesn't make our own struggles, any less difficult, though.....

We all have our struggles, and challenges.....
My point in writing this at Christmas, for those who believe in Jesus, and God the Father.....
is that He unselfishly sent his only son to us....to absolve us for our sins, as a symbol of his benevolent and unconditional love for us.....
To me, one of the things that stands out, is the unselfishness.........]

Today, in our society, I see examples of selfishness daily.....
Maybe because I grew up in a dysfunctional family, that selfishness is easier for me to detect, and notice......
It's something that saddens me greatly, and has hardened my heart, to helping less people than I am capable of....due to some of my cynicism and experiences......

At Christmas, and at times throughout the year......I try to evaluate my behavior and see how I can do better.....IMO there is always room for improvement.....
I think many of us, me included, could all use some encouragement, on being a little nicer to our fellow men and women.....

Remember, there but for the Grace of God....go I...
Compassion, or a kind word, telephone call to someone we haven't spoken to in a while...can mean a world of difference, in their lives....
A few kind words from us...can bring a ray of sunshine into the life of someone, that can last for weeks........

Remember that, as you are out there, this Holiday season...
busily going to parties, functions, get togethers......shopping, trips, jaunts, fishing, etc.......
All it takes is a few moments from your busy day.....to put a huge level of brightness, in the life of someone else.......

Take that 5 minutes...
Make the call.....
Share some kind words.....
Do a good deed for someone.......
Assist them in some small way.....That act of kindness....will come back to you 100 times richer......

Merry Christmas, all!.....
And Best Wishes for Health and Happiness......for those are IMO the 2 of the most precious gifts life has to offer.....
You can't give someone else good Health....
But 5 minutes from you can bring them some much needed Happiness........more precious than any worldly gift you could ever give them.