Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Facebook Fishing Reports....

Appeal to the GoPro surf fishermen....

1. Please be considerate of others who fish there regularly.
    2. Realize that if you are filming footage of fantastic action, there are those who will be motivated to visit that place regularly, for eternity, if you post it on the internet.
    3. Realize that if we lose access in those areas, you are directly responsible for the role you played, by posting such videos on the internet.
    4. Realize that the places we have to fish from the surf, are dwindling every year. For those not aware of how much access we have lost already, I will go into detail about "lost access" when I get back here and get some time to post again.

Look, people...
    No one is against you having a good time out there..
    Or catching lots of fish...that's one of the reasons why we're all out there
    Or sharing your stories with your friends, or strangers,

I get that... sharing fishing stories on the internet is part of the surf fishing experience these days, with many sites devoted to it, and Facebook recently coming into the forefront of many who surf fish.....it's inevitable that we want to share our experiences, or even in some cases, brag a little...I understand that whole dynamic..I get it.....

I also want you folks who are new to this game, to understand that we lose access every year because of selfish behavior....and behavior where you are filming specifically where you are...can contribute to that....

I'm trying to lay it out here, and explain it to ya's, as reasonably and diplomatically as possible, I hope those reading this can understand that,...

It's all the more important because no one is addressing this particular issue now...
    For those who roll their eyes reading this...feel free to drink the "Hater-aide", eventually it will taste so bitter that ya might want to stop drinking it....

I have friends and people I know who are against this practice of Video spot burning on the internet...many are angry about it, but say "What can you do?"

I'm gonna try to post and some more thoughts in other threads and links to why Surf fishing Access is so important to me and some others....so stay tuned, folks....

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    I also want you folks who are new to this game, to understand that we lose access every year because of selfish behavior....and behavior where you are filming specifically where you are...can contribute to that....

I'm trying to lay it out here, and explain it to ya's, as reasonably and diplomatically as possible, I hope those reading this can understand that,...
    Thank you dark for speaking out. I have not seen any of the videos you are talking about but I have read your threads on access. I rememer that thread on the long island access there was a lot of controversy and eventally you guys won. Keep up the good work, fighting the good fight.

That's admirable but don't you think it's like plugging a leak in a dike?
    They were all over island beach this fall. Every few days I would see a new guy trying his gopro out. I bet I'm in some of them videos. And what about Tom Lynch, who took the famous photo of all the guys near the pocket. Would you define that as spot burning too?

Quote Originally Posted by fishinmission78 View Post
    That's admirable but don't you think it's like plugging a leak in a dike?
    I have to agree with fishinmission here dark. The crusade is a good idea if it's winnable. With all the guys buying and using go-pros, you speaking out against the ones spot burning would seem to be an impossible task, no? I personally don't' thinkk what tom lynch did was spotburning because there are always a million guys there anyway. He was just documenting the madness.

Dark Skies, we did not have these problems when I first started fishing. We caught fish at some areas and didn't catch in others. This was the prime reason that those of us who were successful kept log books. I have seen you and others here prompting the younger folks to do so. Keeping that log should be an essential tool of any surf man or fellow who fishes from a boat. They are equally important.

I have lived through some life changing advances in technology. I can remember going to the doctor and black and white pictures you would get from the xray machines.The size of the machines also. It was intimidating. Now you can go to the doctor and see brilliant color pictures of any part of your body and it is all computerized. Our society has advanced greatly with this newer technology.

Those cameras are not ones I am familiar with, but I have seen some of the younger folks wearing them.

I think as technology changes, we must adapt. We must also not be afraid to speak out when someone is doing something that is going to hurt others. I remember when we all used to catch weakfish by the garbage can full in the 1970s in Delaware Bay. None of us spoke out against it because we thought these fish were there in such numbers that they could never be depleted.

There was a time when I wanted to speak and warn friends of mine who were being greedy,and wasting a lot of fish.
    I regret that when I did have a chance to speak up, I did not. I don't know if my disapproval of what I saw would have changed things but at least I would have felt better reporting to you today that I tried. I did not.

You seem to have the energy and determination I had when I was in my 20's and 30's. Many of us do not have that energy today. At my age you learn to conserve the energy you have and hope to live longer by doing so. We still fish but when you take into account how much of your day is taken away fighting for these causes, I wisely back out of most confrontations and only pick the important ones to support. You seem to me to be possessed of unlimited energy. Harness that energy for the good. Do not let anyone intimidate you if what you feel you are doing is right.

Speaking of shame, I feel that concept is absent from society today. The modern folks will do many things that we would have been ashamed of. They are not. I think the idea that someone is doing something that hurts the rights or enjoyment of others should be the subject of shame. Thank you for doing what you are doing and please continue to speak out for those of us who do not have the energy to do so any more.

Default Re: Facebook Fishing Reports....

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    IMO people who post about what a great fisherman they are on Facebook are bigger losers than people who chase INTERNET fish and reports from the Fisherman magazine that are a week old.
    Couldn't of said it better myself finchaser. The guys who won spots 1-3 in the Absecon B&T first fish of the year have been fishing illegally all winter. They have been posting about it on facebook, even pics of their winnings. Total a-holes, call themselves the urban anglers. Hope I never run into them out front.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    IMO people who post about what a great fisherman they are on Facebook are bigger losers than people who chase INTERNET fish and reports from the Fisherman magazine that are a week old.
    Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    I always wondered how many people actually realize the reports are a week old and their headed in the wrong direction when the the fish are probably right at their feet.Good one Bob
    X2. No one knows how to keep their mouth shut anymore. So you are catching bass at the outflow. Guys do it every year big deal. At least in the past they kept their mouths shut about it. What bothers me is their parents come on and congratulated them. Guess the parents don't know much about fishing that they have been doing it illegally. What happened to keeping things on the QT?

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    X2. No one knows how to keep their mouth shut anymore. What happened to keeping things on the QT?
    Everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame. Doesnt matter if they ruin it for the rest of us. You should see the level of posts in the last 3 days. If you were blind and crippled you could find those fish based on the reports. Idiots.

We should start posting pics and faces of the burners. Call it the facebook burners! or the facebook turd burglars.

OK I realize I did post a negative comment before. After last nite I get it now. I'm down with that storminsteve. I'll post up soon. Something should be done to reign in these internet fags. DS if its not ok you can delete.

Someone burns a spot and he is a ***? Get real. If you don't own the land that someone is fishing on how can you be upset about spot burning. Spots belong to everyone and should be shared. my .02

Quote Originally Posted by fishinmission78 View Post
    OK I realize I did post a negative comment before. After last nite I get it now. I'm down with that storminsteve. I'll post up soon. Something should be done to reign in these internet fags. DS if its not ok you can delete.
    I agree wit Storminsteve, something needs to be done, people don't realize they are screwing things up for others big time.

Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
    Someone burns a spot and he is a ***? Get real. If you don't own the land that someone is fishing on how can you be upset about spot burning. Spots belong to everyone and should be shared. my .02
    I agree with you about 75% of the time on stuff....not this time,
    Telling others where fish are being caught is a no-no, areas can't support the fishing pressure that the new breed of fisherman bring when they hear fish are at an area. First, mugging sucks, second people wreck the places, have no respect for anything. People should keep to them selves and enjoy the fishing.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    I agree wit Storminsteve, something needs to be done, people don't realize they are screwing things up for others big time.

I agree with you about 75% of the time on stuff....not this time,
    Telling others where fish are being caught is a no-no, areas can't support the fishing pressure that the new breed of fisherman bring when they hear fish are at an area. First, mugging sucks, second people wreck the places, have no respect for anything. People should keep to them selves and enjoy the fishing.
    I agree 1000% Im so sick of it!! My biggest issue is people wreaking the place by making a GD mess PICK UP AFTER YOURSELVES PEOPLE!!!!!!!!! Its not that hard.. Top many places are a mness with crap..It happens every early spring and each we loose a little more access..Damn shame..I picked up a bag full of garbage last night..

that's why we keep loosing access homeowners and towns getting back at them

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

I hate the new breed of fishermen and wish they would shut all fishing down. The dillys would then quit fishing along with the meat men who can't catch big fish unless they are on top of a bunker pod. Thin the herds I hope it all gets shut down so we can start again.
    This was posted on the net. I feel for you guys up there but with the N Jetty screwed up and half the jetties gone the bays are going to be much more crowded this year. The rivers as well. And yet only 200 people showed up for the save the jetty rally at asbury park. I totally agree with this guy:

"Just got back from one of my RB spots. I knew it would be bad when I pulled into the lot and found 17 other cars there. This was a isolated spot that only a few knew about or would try. Thanks to the internet and report chasers, the beach was a picket fence of spiked rods and the small jetty was overrun like flies on a turd. I have been fishing here 27 years and there used to be only a hand full of guys that would fish this spot. Thanks to the internet now people travel many miles to fish here and every year the spot gets closed down due to the ignorant masses littering, being loud at 3:00 A.M. and pissing all over the place. If you have a spot that hasn't been burned [DONT BE STUPID] The ocean is a big place and there are a lot of fish, But access to the water[ especially productive spots] is being lost every day due to overcrowding and douch***s.
    Jim
    By the way, I didn't even bother to fish, I had planned on plugging one or two small areas of this spot, but with each angler having 4 or 5 rods out it wasn't worth trying."

You folks are way too lenient. Anyone who burns canal spots on facebook has gotten their tires slashed or buckets of chum spilled on their truck. Posting the pics of the offenders is a lot milder. The most humane way to do it. It's about time for people to take responsibility for their actions.

This is a report but- I am in eight million feuds on Facebook fighting the good fight for guys who think land spots should be posted, nearly all these geniuses say Fish are totally random could be anywhere anytime, which totally makes zero sense why u should post a spot IF that were true, anyway I have a nice flats that has a pinch and a rip and every April full moon it seems to bring hundreds of Bass in with the extra current, last night didn't fail, had an epic type bite on plugs and plastics, mostly small but some were 24 to 29", was concerned about water temps but the fish were very aggressive and striking and fighting hard. Left them biting to see if they were at another spot because I am dumb but curious, have to know sometimes, spot B and C had no fish but they probably should this time of year, so we will shall see about the state of this run.

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    I hate the new breed of fishermen and wish they would shut all fishing down. The dillys would then quit fishing along with the meat men who can't catch big fish unless they are on top of a bunker pod. Thin the herds I hope it all gets shut down so we can start again.
    You must have been fishing for a long time. I feel sad reading that but have talked so some of the old guys at sandy hook and other places who said that too. It's like guys only want to go fishing when they hear the bite is on. And when you talk about the meat men guys like johnny bucktails aren't even fishing now. What has fishing become that they'll only go out when someone tells them to?
    I spent 7 hours fishing the other night for 2 stripers. The first 2 hours I got nothing and I wanted to catch so I went out and fished again till I got some hits and fish. I will probably try the ocean this week too even though most of the fish are being caught in the back bays. What happened to the spirit of adventure when you go out fishing? Half the fun is finding them.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkHart View Post
    This is a report but- I am in eight million feuds on Facebook fighting the good fight for guys who think land spots should be posted, nearly all these geniuses say Fish are totally random could be anywhere anytime, which totally makes zero sense why u should post a spot IF that were true,
    If they only knew how good nj fishing used to be they might shut their mouths. I fished the ocean this morning and it was a shock to see how much structure we have lost. By the end of the summer it will be one flat featureless coastline except for the inlets and a few sand bars and cuts.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast