Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ Fishing Reports for August 2012..www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Default Re: NJ Fishing Reports for August 2012..www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Quote Originally Posted by basshunter View Post
    You guys are hilarious. i didn't think anyone was catching many bass, haven't checked the reports in awhile. Congrats, finchaser its like you are the bass whisperer. Great reading guys, love the animal house reference.
    Basshunter, there are a few of us out there fishing regularly. A lot of guys don't want to share the info because they work hard for the fish they catch and don't want to pass it along too easily to internet fishermen. There are some of us putting in time and catching fish deep in the night or at the beginning and end of day. It ain't easy and most guys have given up. Why bother for only a few fish?

It's the chance to catch something other than normal, the chance to find that fish, that most think aren't there... that drives me, and I believe it drives some others as well.
    Or maybe we are a bunch of sick nutcases who just can't stay away from the water whether fish are there or not.
    You have to realize Finchaser's results are exceptional and he will often catch fish when no one else on the beach is able to. Like they say, YMMV.
    I still say he's catching because he rubs the artificials on his crotch before every cast, but no one wants to believe me...

Mon PM report -
    The ocean temps have inched slowly upward as Fin and others have mentioned. Based on this I was really debating whether I would get out there Monday night. As the tides were late I figured I might find some water that was a few degrees cooler.

I did, and feel the ocean is cleaning up just a bit.
    Made a few stops, same spotty results as usual. I did find some feeding fish at one of the stops.

I had about 10 minutes of pretty good feeding activity.
    My Googan tendencies got in the way of some good success, though.
    Dropped 4 fish on a MagDarter before I had the sense to take a look at it and see the front hook had become a little rusted from all the hard use and being put away wet night after night.

When I finally realized my error I managed to land 2 short bass.
    The level of activity was higher than it had been, that was the exciting part.
    It was a level of slow activity, but activity in the heat of summer at those temps was still a blessing.
    Fishing gradually slowed after about an hour, and I knew it was over and time to get out of there and on the road to work.

For me, that's the saddest part of any fishing trip, realizing the bite is lessening and it's time to wrap things up..

This am released 2 bass and 16 blues water dropped degrees and cleared up a little with last 2 cooler nights

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Dropped 4 fish on a MagDarter before I had the sense to take a look at it and see the front hook had become a little rusted from all the hard use and being put away wet night after night.

When I finally realized my error I managed to land 2 short bass.
    The level of activity was higher than it had been, that was the exciting part.
    It was a level of slow activity, but activity in the heat of summer at those temps was still a blessing. (
    Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    This am released 2 bass and 16 blues water dropped degrees and cleared up a little with last 2 cooler nights
    Great reports! Great to hear about the catching, !
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

today 5:30 to 7:30 released 2 bass and 9 bluefish bass on plugs blues on rubber

Fishing the Pattern Changes....
    Spent a few hours fishing the ocean last night. Didn't find too much activity in the area I fished. I kind of anticipated a decent bite, because of the rain and a pattern change...
    By that, I mean that I try to make it a point to get out there whenever there is a change in the weather, water temps, etc, anything that will break up the current pattern, if it is not a productive one.

We have been in a S/SW summer wind pattern with high ocean temps. Not a good thing to spur bass to feed at night.
    Last night, after the storms, we shifted to a slight W/NW pattern, which IMO can sometimes spur the fish to feed.....

If they were feeding somewhere it wasn't where I was....
    Still, it was a beautiful night as I watched the remains of the lightning storms flow offshore, and the surf and conditions were ideal.

So I went out, looked for some activity, and failed (almost).
    Managed one Hail Mary short bass on a MagDarter.

Part II
    -
    Unhappy with the night's results, I extended the trip to the morning hours, trying to find some action before work.
    My best idea was to mug Finchaser.

I got down there, and we drove to a place where there was a helicopter waiting for us. That old grouchy basstard really has some solid connections in the fishing and poilitical world...I think the helicopter was a Military Issue....

The helicopter transported us to a place where there were bluefish the size they have been getting offshore....
    Feisty, aggressive blues......
    I managed a few on bucktails and rubber....they were really energetic hitting what we threw, although even here, we had to work for them....the nice thing is it was 2 hours of pretty decent action.

Finchaser outfished the other guy and I.....by 2:1....I tell ya's that Grouchy Basstard has some skilz.

The action died by 7:30, lots of fun and ball busting......

My best idea was to mug Finchaser.

I got down there, and we drove to a place where there was a helicopter waiting for us. That old grouchy basstard really has some solid connections in the fishing and poilitical world...I think the helicopter was a Military Issue....

The helicopter transported us to a place where there were bluefish the size they have been getting offshore....
    Feisty, aggressive blues......
    I managed a few on bucktails and rubber....they were really energetic hitting what we threw, although even here, we had to work for them....the nice thing is it was 2 hours of pretty decent action.

Finchaser outfished the other guy and I.....by 2:1....I tell ya's that Grouchy Basstard has some skilz.

Helicopter? Dark you're cukkoo for cocoa puffs!
    Great reports good to see someone getting decent fish.

Last night, after the storms, we shifted to a slight W/NW pattern, which IMO can sometimes spur the fish to feed.....

If they were feeding somewhere it wasn't where I was....
    Still, it was a beautiful night as I watched the remains of the lightning storms flow offshore, and the surf and conditions were ideal.

dark forget about the beautiful night. A guy died yesterday in the storms, did you know that? Be careful guys!

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ng-Branch-Dies

Read that story, it was a bummer. Thoughts and prayers to his family and son. I fished ocean city area before high tide tonight. All the kingfish and spot you could want. I was using small strips of clam and gulp worm pieces on a high low rig. Also got 2 small weakfish and a few monster sea robins. An inshore smorgasbord.

moco, 9-12 last night, 3 bass to 10#, SP. ds the helicopter stuff is nutzo, but creative.

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    moco, 9-12 last night, 3 bass to 10#, SP. ds the helicopter stuff is nutzo, but creative.
    He's definitely not firing on all cylinders a helicopter.
    Well anyway 5:30 to 7:30 AM water was extremely warm and dirty but managed to release 6 blues all on jig-head and DOA tails

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    dark forget about the beautiful night. A guy died yesterday in the storms, did you know that? Be careful guys!

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ng-Branch-Dies
    I heard the news, cowherder. I wasn't out yesterday in the daylight, but when the woman got killed in Monmouth Beach Pebbles and I were about a mile away in Long Branch. She was yelling at me to run with her to the car, and I was gawking at the clouds.
    I think we could all be a bit more careful. You never know when you will be the target of lightning. Generally speaking, if you are outdoors and higher than the average surroundings you could be a conductor for that deadly jolt.

Thanks for the concern. At this point in my life, I try to stop fishing or get inside when lightning is close by.
    Please folks, as Cowherder mentioned let's all try to be a bit more careful. There are (usually) no 2nd chances when hit by lightning....

Fishing Fri AM

Decided to mug the OGB again.
    The bigger bluefish action from yesterday got me hooked......and I needed some more......
    When we started the water was warmer and there seemed to be less bait than yesterday. The abundant spearing were just not there and no fish seemed to be feeding.

The forage bringing in the fish in close had been spearing, peanuts, and mullet.... but with them conspicuously absent and the warmer water we didn't anticipate a good morning bite. We were right in our assumptions as the bite never really got off the ground. Each of us managed a handful of blues (smaller this time).

Plugs, rubber, and bucktails did the trick. It was the first time this season I got fish on a Rattle Trap. Time to start using them, people,
    The slow pick of action died about 1/2 hour sooner than it did yesterday.

Still, I had a great time catching these angry blues.

They definitely aren't sluggish like some of the bass have been for me at night. They are aggressive and full of life, tail-walking and bending the rod. Lots of fun, and the OGB always has some great stories to tell. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    Helicopter? Dark you're cukkoo for cocoa puffs!
    Great reports good to see someone getting decent fish.
    Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    He's definitely not firing on all cylinders a helicopter.
    Guys, while I appreciate your candid characterizations me, anyone who fishes with me and has had a chance to smell me, after a night of fishin....gets an idea that a sense of normalcy is not my ultimate goal in life.....

The fact that Fin and some of ya's know that, and still put up with me, constantly amazes me.

Just remember that the reports, numbers, weights, and times spent fishing is real
    The other elements of one of my fishing reports might be embellishments, even the exxagerations as to how much I smell....
    But these are all part of the Storyline, and Entertainment, that we at www.StripersAndAnglers.com try to bring to you folks who for some reason are not able to get out there.....

I know this because of the countless e-mails....telling me how much you all appreciate the reports, especially the folks who live further away from the water...

So I'm glad you are enjoying them and have a few laughs along the way....
    Life is short...we are serious about fishing but also serious about having a good time while out there....

*****BTW, when you hear me say Finchaser usually outfishes us 2:1, that's absolutely true...
    I mention this specifically because when one catches fish in the double digits, some folks might question how it's possible when others have trouble managing one or 2....
    I keep trying to tell people that's because he rubs the plug or rubber on his crotch each time he casts, but no one wants to believe me....

He consistently catches more fish than the average fisherman, so I want folks to understand when his catches sometimes run into the double digits, that most people could not duplicate those numbers.........YMMV....

^ yeah you guys do seem to have a blast out there, If you smell that bad you should come to IBSP. Maybe the flies will follow you around and leave me alone. They have been terrible this year, worst ever. W or SW brings them on strong.
    Fished there this morning, lots of kingfish on gulp and small hooks. Picked up a 5lb fluke and 8 shorts too.tons of bait in the wash, rainfish, spearing, maybe some peanuts.

He would attract and kill the flies as he usually can gag a maggot,lets not forget he uses his shirt and pants to wipe his hands not a rag

Hey guys. My phone still works ya know.

The fact that Fin and some of ya's know that, and still put up with me, constantly amazes me.
    The other elements of one of my fishing reports might be embellishments, even the exxagerations as to how much I smell....
    Life is short...we are serious about fishing but also serious about having a good time while out there....
    Congrats on the fishing and catching Dark and Finchaser, you guys are the Dynamic Duo...... Actually you guys need a real nickname. You have a certain dynamic not seen in other twosomes. Abbot and Costello come up short in the comedy, Batman and Robin can't come close to the thrills and insanity of Dark's fishing adventures. Great reports guys!!

bassman and bluefish!!! to the fishmobile bluefish!!!

He would attract and kill the flies as he usually can gag a maggot,lets not forget he uses his shirt and pants to wipe his hands not a rag
    Now I know why ya said...."You really should fish over there...there is a hole there and you might do a little better"....the real reason is it was downwind of ya!

Quote Originally Posted by rip316 View Post
    Hey guys. My phone still works ya know.
    A little bird called and told me ya only sail for the Parkway now if it has a boat at the end of the journey waiting for your precious feet to step on... We're battling no see ums, flies, and the delicate scent of my sweat stained shirt after an all-nighter but yer always welcome to join in the insanity, bro. I did tell ya that the other day....

No one seems to care about these fish because they ain't 30 lb bass. For an August bite having mid size bluefish bending the rod and pulling some drag, to me it's about as exciting as jumping off of speakers at a hardcore show.....I'm happy to be catching them., and glad ya's all enjoy the embellishments...after all they're "only" bluefish....and some bass.... as the bulk of the catch.....

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Congrats on the fishing and catching Dark and Finchaser, you guys are the Dynamic Duo...... Actually you guys need a real nickname. You have a certain dynamic not seen in other twosomes. Abbot and Costello come up short in the comedy, Batman and Robin can't come close to the thrills and insanity of Dark's fishing adventures. Great reports guys!!
    Monty ....I know your fishing times are limited. and as OGB has been saying these windows are 2 hours at a time, at most, and even less when it's a sunny morning.....you're welcome to make the drive, though.... as long as you know Fin will outfish us 2:1. He's a machine when the bite is on. Even more impressive when the action slows down as he still manages to pick away at the fish....

Quote Originally Posted by gjb1969 View Post
    bassman and bluefish!!! to the fishmobile bluefish!!!
    Thanks bro! So glad none of you mooks are good at Photoshop.....

Surfstix originally posted this, and I thought I would link to it so you are guys are aware that sharks are everywhere now.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ng-the-NJ-surf
    Thanks Surfstix!
    The original footage was shot by Tommy Lynch...fantastic footage, Tom.

Some friends who fish LBI for sharks were saying the bite has died out there and seeking to go further South near Atlantic City.....and the reality is they are all over following the bunker, spot, and kingfish. IBSP, Mocoo, NY Bight, Ocean City, Cape May,....Wherever these forage species are thickest you may find these sharks. Guys I know got brown sharks off Breezy Point the other day, so it's safe to assume that you may find them anywhere the bait is thick like I mentioned.....more on this in the Turd Ferguson thread....

Fished this morning from 1:00 to 9:30 out front. Could only manage a couple accidentally caught Fluke on 007 Ava and Po-Jee. Water felt pretty warm. Talked to someone who caught a ~12 lb blue while blind casting for False Albies. Water was real nice and choppy, great sunrise, lots and lots of casts, great being out there. Had a few bumps and misses and lost a small blue in the wash.

Gotta be a some type of Googan award for catching a fish smaller than the lure.....can add that to my list.....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast