Thread: Take a Soldier Fishing

Hybrid View

Combat Warrior Crisis Network legally became a non profit on August 1, 2008. Take a Soldier Fishing has been around a while. Right now our biggest contribution that we have been able to accomplish is the Ft Hood fishing program. In short we take 40 soldiers at a time to different lakes across Texas. We just completed our 7th trip this year at Lake Lewisville near Dallas. The surrounding communities have come together to show these soldiers support and put together a great event. Our biggest problem so far with these trips is securing transportation for these soldiers on a regular basis. Recently we have been told that we can no longer use government transportation for these trips because it is not "official business". Everything else has come together nicely. Our goals with this program is to be able to expand to other military installations and create programs for their areas as well. This allows soldiers the opportunity to get out of their rooms and away from base. If we can keep one soldier from thinking about suicide or from thinking too much about their deployments then we have done our job. We have also been told that we may have even found an alternative medicine for PTSD rather than taking more pills. Our first intention was just to take these soldiers fishing, it has become so much more to these soldiers. Thanks Mike
    FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
    takeasoldierfishing.com
    Combat Warrior Crisis Network

TAKEASOLDIERFISHING is a department of Combat Warrior Crisis Network an official Affiliate Subordinate Ministry legally operating under the group exemption of Chaplain Fellowship Ministries International Inc., a legally incorporated 501 (c) (3) Federal Tax Exempt Non-Profit Public Charity. http://www.chaplain-ministries.com/501c3.html.

Mike Nashif
    President CWCN
    254-368-2174

Quote Originally Posted by Fisterfam View Post
    Combat Warrior Crisis Network legally became a non profit on August 1, 2008. Take a Soldier Fishing has been around a while. ...

. If we can keep one soldier from thinking about suicide or from thinking too much about their deployments then we have done our job. We have also been told that we may have even found an alternative medicine for PTSD rather than taking more pills. Our first intention was just to take these soldiers fishing, it has become so much more to these soldiers. Thanks Mike
    My uncle was in Nam, doesn't talk about it much, but a lot of guys who came back then were effed up in the head.

Any program that trys to help this is a cool one, thanks.

Looks like a very good program, nice work.

Thank you and we are trying!! Having been deployed 2 times myself, I understand what these soldiers go thru on a daily basis. Whether its by themselves or with a spouse. If I wasn't married to a stubborn woman that loved me more than I love myself then I wouldn't be married or living the dream of helping service members. The Ft. Hood fishing program is just the beginning.... Thanks again Mike
    FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
    takeasoldierfishing.com

TAKEASOLDIERFISHING is a department of Combat Warrior Crisis Network an official Affiliate Subordinate Ministry legally operating under the group exemption of Chaplain Fellowship Ministries International Inc., a legally incorporated 501 (c) (3) Federal Tax Exempt Non-Profit Public Charity. http://www.chaplain-ministries.com/501c3.html.

Mike Nashif
    President CWCN
    254-368-2174

Hey Joe, this is a c&p of threads I have been starting on the sites I belong to. Per your request, there is no mention of your site in it, just a direct link to Mike's site.

I did put in my e-mail in case any active duty soldiers in this area are up for a night of surf fishing.

Great idea, great site.

Just putting it out there in case anyone is interested. There are quite a few programs out there, but this guy started "Take a soldier fishing" back in 2001 and copyrighted it with the intention of making it onto a nationwide program.

The guy, Mike Nashif, is an active-duty soldier.

He runs this program as a national legally recognized charitable organization to connect people who want to take soldiers fishing with active-duty soldiers who are home on leave, or want to go fishing.

If anyone wants to join or register, or send a contribution, they can go to www.takeasoldierfishing.com

and check it out for yourself.

They have forums for each state. (When you get to that area, just click on your state, and let them know if you want to volunteer time or service taking soldiers fishing)

There are other programs around here that have developed and run with Mike's original idea, and that's cool. But I registered at Mike's site because he is a soldier helping fellow soldiers. He has had 2 active-duty deployments while he was trying to run this site, and it's amazing all the resources and support people have given him once they have seen what he's about.

As for me, I don't have a boat. But I can offer to take any active duty soldiers coming to the NJ area out for a night of surf-fishing. I can't promise any fish, but I will run your asses ragged at the most reliable spots I know and give you a decent shot at getting a fish.

Active soldiers can contact me at striperholic@yahoo.com if you have an interest.

Thanks to all the soldiers who are keeping our country safe every day, freedom isn't free.

Thank you DarkSkies! Very nice and our goal is to spread the word just as you have. If we can get the word out to the service members then the boaters will follow. We are working on the service members from our end thru MWR and the different Public Affairs offices. Eventually it will get there! Especially with support like this. Thank you very much. Mike
    FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
    takeasoldierfishing.com

Mike Nashif
    President CWCN
    254-368-2174

Great work there, Mike, keep it going!
    Dark, nice gesture on your part as well.