Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NJ fishing reports July 2017 www.stripersandanglers.com

Solid catches there, gents. I was wondering if anyone else remembers when you could catch bass, weaks, fluke and kings in the hot summer months. And you didn't have to leave Jersey to do it.

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    Solid catches there, gents. I was wondering if anyone else remembers when you could catch bass, weaks, fluke and kings in the hot summer months. And you didn't have to leave Jersey to do it.
    Those day are long gone!! Unfortunate cause I always enjoyed the summer nights on the surf...hopefully by the time my lil guy old enuff it will return..

Sadly I have to agree with this. Even catching small stripers in the NJ ocean surf you used to be able to do it 10 months a year. Now not so much. Good effort anyway, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    Sadly I have to agree with this. Even catching small stripers in the NJ ocean surf you used to be able to do it 10 months a year. Now not so much. Good effort anyway, guys.
    Lets hear it for a few million people fishing now
    Bonus tag to kill small fish before they breed
    Beach restoration
    Need I say more

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Let's just say that plan A (exploratory wreck(s) trip) sucked so we went to plan B which was jigging a 4 man limit of bigger sized sea bass letting the smaller keepers go.

Stopped in a new area on the way home to fill the cooler with some porgies only keeping 80 of the bigger 10"+ ones and releasing another 100+ of the smaller ones.

Jim (BayYaker) got himself a whiting and a keeper winter flounder (in 25ft of water in July...***?).

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7-16-2017.jpg   IMG_20170716_120432.jpg  

IMG_20170716_120509.jpg  

Nice! About how far out were you if you don't mind me asking?

Finally got a chance to get offshore this summer and do some tuna fishing yesterday.

Left the dock on a friend's boat around 1am and we got to the spot just around day break.

We found a ton of life immediately but no signs of fish in it and too many other boats working the same area so we trolled away from the fleet and were rewarded almost immediately.

By 8:30am we had our under and over BFT limit along with a stray 60# yellowfin. The over taped out at 56" and I am estimating it was in the 110-120# range. All four fish were stuffed with 5-7' sand eels.

We stuck around for a couple more hours and played catch and release on another 100#+ BFT and small Mahi (too small to bother keeping) before calling it an early day.

Seen a mola mola, about a dozen turtles and no shortage of whales gorging on sand eels...nice to finally get back offshore!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg  

3.jpg   4.jpg  

5.jpg  

Fished OC area today 6-7a. No luck for me, just one cow nose ray that almost spooled me. Hate those things.

Outstanding catches jb. Offshore tuna fishing has been as good as it gets this year. Great to see it take off so early. Trying to find the window to get out there myself. Good job.

Bluefin steaks and sushi, doesn't get any better than that. Nice.

Have been hitting the suds less lately do to high heat and not much going on other than rays and sharks. Checking some of the docks at night around the moon tides, scooping up some nice crabs, tho.

Woo doggy those are some nice fat tuna right there! good job

Lotso kingfish in the surf in the CM area in case anyone is interested. Right beyond the first wave, got a mess of the critters this weekend.

Thanks for the heads up.

Well have not been out for awhile. Life gets in the way. Fished nomoco last nite right before dark, incoming tide, Managed 2 small blues on a bucktail and one short fluke.

Today looks like the last good fishing day for a while. 3-4 inches of rain you have to be kidding me!

4 to 6:30 AM released a 32 and 34 inch bluefish and 6 short bass all on jig and kettle creek tails

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Very nice!

I got out twice this weekend. was thinking they would be on the feedbag before the storm that never happened, LOL. Managed a few short fluke, rockin robins, and one ugly stargazer. Would love to catch a bluefish that big this time of year. Did not think they were still around.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast