Thread: "Pots Off the Reefs" bill passed NJ Senate...

Hybrid View

Let us get them off the reefs first. Then we need to get the vacant seats on the NJ Marine Fisheries Council filled and the rest reappointed as the numbers at the moment are commercials 5, recreationals 4.

Quote Originally Posted by njdiver View Post
    as the numbers at the moment are commercials 5, recreationals 4.
    And you are optimistic that we will get to a point where the recreationals outnumber the recs on the council? Good for you, I don't seem to have that optimism. Thanks for posting the legislation, though.

Composition
    The council consists of eleven members appointed by the Governor, with the consent of the Senate. The makeup of the council is set by statute and is composed of four sports fishermen, two active commercial fin fishermen, one active fish processor, two members of the general public, and the chairman of the two sections of the Shellfisheries Council.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/councils.htm#marine

N.J.S.A. 23:2B-4

23:2B-4. Creation of council; membership; term; removal from office; compensation and expenses; chairman; quorum

There is hereby created in the department a Marine Fisheries Council, which shall consist of 11 members, nine of whom shall be appointed by the Governor, with the advice and consent of the Senate, of whom four shall represent and be knowledgeable of the interests of sports fishermen, two shall be active commercial fin fishermen, one shall be an active fish processor, and two shall represent the general public; the other two members shall be the chairmen of the two sections of the Shell Fisheries Council.

The "public at large" seats are designed to be neutral parties representing the "public".

and the rest reappointed as the numbers at the moment are commercials 5, recreationals 4.
    Composition
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]The council consists of eleven members appointed by the Governor, with the consent of the Senate. The makeup of the council is set by statute and is composed of four sports fishermen, two active commercial fin fishermen, one active fish processor, two members of the general public, The "public at large" seats are designed to be neutral parties representing the "public".
    This is so confusing to me, njdiver. At first I read you said there were 5 commercials and 4 recreationals. The sentences you posted afterwards doesn't say anything to me about that exact number. I really don't understand it, how did the numbers get out of whack like that? And btw, thank you for posting all of this and trying to explain it. It all looks like greek to me!

Quote Originally Posted by baitstealer View Post
    This is so confusing to me, njdiver. At first I read you said there were 5 commercials and 4 recreationals. The sentences you posted afterwards doesn't say anything to me about that exact number. I really don't understand it, how did the numbers get out of whack like that? And btw, thank you for posting all of this and trying to explain it. It all looks like greek to me!
    The recent history of the NJMFC includes a vacancy for one "public at large" position for at least the last six years. Presently both "public at large" positions are vacant due to the resignation of the only individual holding one. Most of the remaining members are holding their positions beyond their defined terms and need to be reappointed. Politics and bureaucracy are the roadblocks.

I'm all for this,but also aware this is on reefs that lay in State waters only as most reefs are in federal water. Rumor has it if this bill passes the commercial potters will put so many pots around the reef they will catch everything coming and going as there are no laws as to the number of pots a person can set.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    I'm all for this,but also aware this is on reefs that lay in State waters only as most reefs are in federal water. Rumor has it if this bill passes the commercial potters will put so many pots around the reef they will catch everything coming and going as there are no laws as to the number of pots a person can set.
    That argument is being used to sideline our efforts. Where were the pots placed before there was a State run reef program? In the last five years we have been fighting this fight no one has introduced either regulation nor legislation to remedy that situation. One step at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Rumor has it if this bill passes the commercial potters will put so many pots around the reef they will catch everything coming and going as there are no laws as to the number of pots a person can set.
    That's incredible if actually true. If they have a seasonal limit or yearly limit, wouldn't it make sense for someone, in their infinite wisdom, to actually calculate the numbers of fish you could catch per pot and then limit them to somewhere around that #? If not, they could catch double or triple their limit and no one would be the wiser. I assume we're talking about mostly blackfish and seabass, right? If no one is regulating that, what's to stop them from getting twice their limits and selling the rest on the black market. This whole business seems shady to me, jmo.