Thread: Expensive Plugs are they worth the $$?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    If it's more then $20 I won't buy it I'm past the point where the lure catches me... I catch more fish on my Superstrikes,Gibbs,Hopkins and bucktails.Don't get me wrong here these builders are artists and put a lot of time in their work to justify prices but I can't afford to pay that $$ and bam snap it off & gone.
    What he said, I won't pay more than $20. I use wood, plastic, as well as jigs, bucks and rubber. I can't see paying premium dollars for a high end plug though I have traded for a few from time to time. The bottom line is the fish don't care what you are throwing or who built it, they will respond to a good profile in the water fished at the right level of the water column.

Default Re: Expensive Lures

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieTuna View Post
    The bottom line is the fish don't care what you are throwing or who built it, they will respond to a good profile in the water fished at the right level of the water column.
    Very well-said, Charlie.

I would rather fish a beat up old plug that has good action. HD hooks and split rings are the most important thing to me. If I get a nice fish I don't want to lose it. To me the key to that is upgrading with the strongest hardware.

Good discussion people. Some higher end plugs I shot pics of yesterday. Beautiful craftsmanship, forgot to ask how much, probably around $30.....
    I think the thing that makes most sense is that the pricier these things get the less likely we are to fish them....a lot of the fanciest plugs end up in the hands of collectors....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP3140.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	16440

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP3142.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	16441

On the other hand, without the collector out there many of the builders would be broke because they would not sell the volume they do.....the conversations I got into yesterday kind of confirmed that. There is a need for the collectors to support the market.

I have a few expensive plugs I fish. I have a Gary2 plug that I fish which is probably the most expensive one.
    In 2011 I had a night where in an hour and half I caught 10 or so bass on a Habs Sr. needle, was fun.
    If I buy it, I fish it. I'm not a collector.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

funny story . We were fishing for blues one day and killing them with plugs, they were hitting everthing .So one of my friends had his neighbors with him. He was throwing on the other end of the picket line so I could see that much of what he was doing or throwing. He had just lost a plug .. so he was going back to his bag to grab another plug, as he was hooking it on he starts telling us that he paided 35 bucks for this thing . so I stepped in and told not to throw that and handed him one of my bluefish plugs. funny he never lost that cheep one

^^^^Ha ha that sounds like murphys law! Funny stuff madcaster. Monty I am the same way if I have it I want to fish it to see what I can catch on it. Sure would be traumatic to lose a 35 dollar plug to a bluefish though.
    Nice fish Monty!!

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieTuna View Post
    What he said, I won't pay more than $20. I use wood, plastic, as well as jigs, bucks and rubber. I can't see paying premium dollars for a high end plug though I have traded for a few from time to time.
    There is a difference. If you were fortunate to fish the Gary2slims before he died and had a dozen laying around, you would be happy with the results. The Gary2 slims are one of the best bass catching plugs out there. I do agree with you on the price somewhat charlietuna. There are some that are hyped up and don't catch. But a G2 is a different animal. Still have some to this day, and fish them. They do catch large.