Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best wind direction

Default best wind direction

Some people get messed up on the direction of wind. Here is something easy to remember:

winds are named from where they blow
    currents are named to which they flow

Also, for good fishing -

wind is from the east, fish the least (but I have done well during some noreasters)

wind is from the west, fishing is the best.

wind is from the south, fish shut their mouth (except bluefish)

wind is from the north, don't go forth

Default how do you learn about wind for the ocean?

Once the fish are moving up and down the coast, how do you guys know what winds to fish on? I read here that northeast for a storm is good, but how do you decide where to go? Facing you, to your back? What winds do you like best? thanks guys

Ever hear the fishermens creed?

Wind from the East, fish bite the least.
    Wind from the West, fish bite the best.
    Wind from the North, go back to bed and snore.
    Wind from the South, fish shut their mouth!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wind.jpg  

Default Winds

From the front beaches that I plug facing east-20 year average-
    wind/per cent caught =
    NE-25%
    NW-21%
    SW-14%
    NNW-12%
    W-8%
    SE-6%
    0-var-6%
    S-5%
    ENE-2%
    N-1%
    E-0%
    Now this is not totally accurate, but may give you an idea. Most of my catches in a NE were from the first good, true NE blow at the end of August through the fall, and not necessarily in the spring. It also doesn't mean that you should only plug these winds, I may plug different weather than you, and your beaches may not face true east. Like I said, this only from my experience, decide for yourself.

Happy Trails

PS- Those numbers are based on caught Bass only.

Quote Originally Posted by surfwalker View Post
    . It also doesn't mean that you should only plug these winds, I may plug different weather than you, and your beaches may not face true east. Like I said, this only from my experience, decide for yourself.

Happy Trails
    Some wisdom here, it must be that 20 year fishing history. Any good fisherman will have a set of things that he follows. As he said, fishing from different beaches will affect how you fish a certain wind pattern. In a kayak I look for the wind to be against the tide in an inlet so it slows me down.

Back to beaches....You should have that wind info written in your log reports like surfwalker. Get to know which beach you can hit even when the weather is bad, that could become a secret spot that you want to keep to yourself. Always have an alternate plan to move to a different place.

I don't know about you folks but fishng for me is a way to get away from the wife and kids for awhile. I'm not coming back early unless there is a hurricane coming.

It all depends on where you are fishing. What direction the wind is and what direction you are facing. I don't have a 20 year log to refer to but here are a couple of ideas.

I have killed the bass when the baitfish were hiding from the wind. One time this was in structure that was blocking the waves and wind (NE) in a 10 x 10 area 5 feet from the shore line. I was standing well up on the beach and pitching bucktails with a 10 foot rod. I could see the bass bumping each other out of the way for bait fish.

Another time was wind directly in my face (N), same stretch of beach, and the fish were holding just inside a sand bar. The wind was blowing the spearing over the bar into the white water. Anything I threw into the white water on almost every cast was met with a bass or at least a slap. Anything outside the whitewater inside the same bar was met with a bluefish. They were all facing into the wind over the bar waiting for their meals.

Structure is always important in locating bass. I think with a heavy blow it is even more important. You just have to know where it is and what the wind is going to do to the baitfish.

Just remember that the Bunker feed on zooplankton and the Peanut Bunker feed on phytoplankton. This means they feed into the wind as the plankton gets washed right into their mouths.

It doesn't matter which way it is blowing. It does matter what it is doing to the water around you.

Default wind

around my parts,there are several areas to fish on certain winds.
    for the open shore a WNW wind or straight west is great.up rivers it's not much of a pain as the open shore,I still like a wind as aforementioned.
    I do have a few spots to fish with an east wind which the fish still bite if they are there.

the very most learning comes from putting your time in,paying attention with the help of a log book and just plain ole experience.

R-P
    Takes a Big Man to sling Big Wood,,,,boys sling plastic,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by stripercrazy View Post
    Also, for good fishing -

wind is from the east, fish the least (but I have done well during some noreasters)

wind is from the west, fishing is the best.

wind is from the south, fish shut their mouth (except bluefish)

wind is from the north, don't go forth
    Sometmes it pays to do a search. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

Situational.
    If you use that as your guide you may miss out on some of the best fishing you can have.
    Much is more dependant on the lay of the land, the depth of the water, the tidal stage, the barometric pressure, and the piece of earth on which you stand.
    I have spots that work well at the dead low, north wind, rising barometer. All aspects of that would keep the average fisherman at home in front of the TV.
    God is Great, Beer is Good, People are crazy.

I agree with Stripercoast, I have a spot that I can absolutly count on to produce fish with an east wind and a dropping tide. I have many spots that produce on a north wind. I also have seen the fishing shut down when wind turned west.

Here's some others

Tulips – arrival of winter flounder
    Lilac – weakfish are in town
    Forsythia – bluefish and fluke are on the move
    Dogwood – arrival of striped bass

September’s full harvest moon has a tremendous effect on both weakfish and striped bass which take it as a sign to start their annual southern migration. During this lunar period juvenile species of both predator and prey are driven outward along the shoreline.

Wind from the North, fish come forth
    Wind from the South, fish shut there mouth
    Wind from the East, fish come to feast
    Wind from the West, fishing is the best

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

I started fishing long ago in some of the bigger lakes of NJ. Weather can come up on you quickly, and you need to figure out which cove will provide a lee from which weather pattern. I think it's a good idea to have this in the back of your head when in the salt. For NJ fishing for example, you can use various harbor or back bay areas if the weather is snotty and you still want to fish. If fish are feeding, why would you want to stay home. Like Stripercoast said, knowing where you can fish with what pattern can increase your time out there and allow you to continue fishing when others have given up. Always have a plan B.

Default Re: wind

Quote Originally Posted by surfwalker View Post
    From the front beaches that I plug facing east-20 year average-
    wind/per cent caught =
    NE-25%
    NW-21%
    SW-14%
    NNW-12%
    W-8%
    SE-6%
    0-var-6%
    S-5%
    ENE-2%
    N-1%
    E-0%
    Now this is not totally accurate, but may give you an idea. Most of my catches in a NE were from the first good, true NE blow at the end of August through the fall, and not necessarily in the spring. It also doesn't mean that you should only plug these winds, I may plug different weather than you, and your beaches may not face true east. Like I said, this only from my experience, decide for yourself.

Happy Trails

Quote Originally Posted by Rip-Plugger View Post
    the very most learning comes from putting your time in,paying attention with the help of a log book and just plain ole experience.

R-P

Great advice guys.
    Does anyone have any thoughts about the south winds in the summer for new jersey?

Default Re: Wind Direction

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    I agree with Stripercoast, I have a spot that I can absolutly count on to produce fish with an east wind and a dropping tide. I have many spots that produce on a north wind. I also have seen the fishing shut down when wind turned west.
    I noticed you are from new york and wanted to ask if that would be any different in nj?

I can't answer for the ny side as I don't fish there. I think west is best for NJ. South can be bad but I think there are some places that are ok. South Jersey and Cape May is usually bad when I fish that south wind.

Onshore is always going to be a better wind to fish but that all depends on which way your state is facing.I always like the incoming with the onshore blow brings everything in closer usually...
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Surfstix if by onshore you mean in your face I agree at least it is that way for the Sound shore of Ct. This seems to be the best wind for me and gets the bite going. If there is an offshore wind (coming from my back?) the flies and mosquitoes are brutal and sometimes it is not even worth it to go out unless you want to donate a pint of blood each time,

Quote Originally Posted by hookedonbass View Post
    Does anyone have any thoughts about the south winds in the summer for new jersey?
    That wind is an unfortunate part of some summer months. I would advise to learn to deal with it. When it's a hard south you can look for areas that are sheltered a little. With the jetties being filled that will be a challenge in the future. I have had luck at times when the wind shifts from south to another direction for a few hours. It all depends on the bait and where you are in the front or the back. Hope that was helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast