Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surfcasters mistake list

Default Surfcasters mistake list

What ones have caused you to lose a fish, or drop one that could have been a trophy?

- terminal tackle failure
    - bad landing spot
    -interference from other anglers
    - line or knot failure

Let's hear some of yours

Too much slack in the line.
    Too quick to set the hook.

Getting fish crossed with the line of the guy who decided to fish 2 feet from me.

The worst thing for me is throwing a plug with all my might, and the bail closes shut by accident. Lost a couple plugs that way till I switched to braid.

Sometimes when I was fishing all night I had been known to throw a plug without closingg the snap-lock. After losing a few plugs, I went to the breakaway clip, much easier, and safer for tired eyes.

My biggest problem used to be knot failure. Did some research, practiced my knots in the off-season, now it happens less.

Fishing more than one pole.

Knot failure, especially with braid. Have to practice your knots, check each time.

snaps I dont mess with anything light, say under 75lbs. Bass really dont seem to care about the size/sight. There was a time way back i tried to keep them smallish for stealth, so dont need to. My uncle does it still about twice a year, bigger bass starighten them out.

I have made several mistakes in my years of fishing. My biggest one was going on the rocks without korkers. Thought I was tough didn't need them. Fell and broke my arm. Lesson learned.

Sometimes my knots are not that good. Lost some fish because of this mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    The worst thing for me is throwing a plug with all my might, and the bail closes shut by accident. Lost a couple plugs that way till I switched to braid.

I have lost quite a few plugs this way, and everytime someone else does it and you hear the "snap" of the line as the plug sails to England, I def feel bad for the guy.

I made mistakes from using the wrong sized plug when the fish were on bigger or smaller bait. Watching a guy outfish you 2 to 1 will teach you the right plug to use real quick.

Most Common Mistakes

What Not To Do Out On The Water

Sometimes what makes a good fisherman great is knowing not so much what to do, but rather, what NOT to do. All too often out on the water I see very capable anglers make mistakes that otherwise could have made for a good day of fishing. In this article, I want to point out these common mistakes that both experienced and rookie fisherman make and hopefully open your eyes to new and better fishing!
    #1. The "Confidence Bait" Flaw
    This is probably the biggest mistake I see anglers make on the water. Every fisherman has a confidence bait. That one lure that always seems to catch fish and outdoes the other lures in your tackle box. Ask Denny Brauer what his confidence bait is and he'll tell you straight up, "The Jig". He's made millions fishing that lure. Rarely will you ever see him on TV throwing a spinnerbait or slug-go. So what is wrong with having a confidence bait? Nothing, but if you are going to be like Denny Brauer and always throw that confidence bait, you better know how to catch fish with it day in and day out in all conditions.
    I see it all the time. Fisherman will catch a ton of bass one day on say a worm, and the next day they are trying to do the same thing. I know I would be trying to do the same thing as the day before, but if it isn't working, it isn't working. I've seen fisherman go the whole day fishing one bait, changing colors thinking a little blue fleck may be all the change that's needed to get those bass striking again. You have to be cognizant and realize when it's time to make a change.
    When you find yourself fishing a lure and not getting any bites, two things should come into your mind. One, do I need to change location? Or two, maybe this bait has lost its appeal to the fish. I used to be the kind of fisherman to fish a bait for hours even without a bite, convincing myself that if there were a fish to be found, he would hit my lure I was fishing. Now, I have realized it is much better to constantly change. I think a lot of anglers watch shows like BassMaster and FLW Tour and see these pros spending the whole day throwing the same bait, even though they may not be catching fish. But you have to remember, these pros have spent hundreds of hours pre-fishing their waters, so what is on their line they probably have good reason for it.
    So next time your out on the water and your not getting any strikes, change up! Adapt to the situation, and seek out an answer. Don't assume the fish will start biting and what you have tied on is your best bet, cause if you aren't catching fish, changing up should be the only thing on your mind!
    #2. Don't Be A Camper
    This is another common mistake I see anglers making. Whether the particular cover they are fishing has given up good fish in the past, or just looks like a winning hotspot, fisherman often make the mistake of camping out on a certain piece of cover. Have you ever been fishing down a relatively bare bank and come across a massive tree that has fallen into the water. This tree has hundreds of branches and every nook and cranny would have to hold a ten pound bass. Sure, sounds like a great laydown to me....I'd fish it! But if I hit the main spots of the laydown with my jig, and maybe toss a spinnerbait or crankbait to it a few times and get nothing, I'm out of there! Your fishing time is a precious commodity. Especially in a tournament, if your not getting bites on a piece of cover, disregard it and move on.
    I've seen fisherman spend hours fishing one single tree. They will tie on every lure and color combination imaginable. They have it in their mind that this tree, rock pile, or pier looks too good not to have active fish on it. If you spend hours on a piece of cover, there is a chance that you will find a nice fish hidden somewhere where your first hundred casts didn't reach. But you need to take the 'chance' out of fishing! So don't put all your faith on a single piece of cover, or your asking for disappointment.
    #3. Losing Concentration
    Fishing is a tough sport. Though the whole "fishing takes patience" saying is true, the word 'patience' is less fitting than the word 'focus'. Patience is sitting back, waiting for the fish to find your bait. I like to think of 'focus' more along the lines as actively making your bait seek out the fish. As much as I think fishing is a relaxing sport, if your goal is to catch the most fish possible, it really isn't. Your mind has to be sharp, everything you do must be for a reason, and letting up your focus, will cost you in the long run.
    I remember when I was young going fishing with my dad, the two best casts I made were the first and last. The first cast I had all my energy and focus. I was ready to catch fish. As soon as that lure hit the water, I was making a note of everything. Every little bump along the retrieve, water color, tides, wind, etc. I was focused. Then after a couple hours and not having much luck, I found myself just casting. Sure I was still trying hard, but that same focus I had on the first cast wasn't there. I wasn't watching the line when my worm was making every drop, I wasn't being cognizant of the tides, wind changes, water color, etc. The focus had died.
    Then towards the end of the day, my dad would always say, "Alright Kev, we gotta be getting back in a few." It was right then and there I was making casts that count! I wanted to eek out that last bass before heading home. Then after ignoring my dad to pack up my gear, I would hear, "this is your last cast...". It was on that last cast that I tried my hardest to catch that one last fish. I would find the BEST spot to cast to, and try to feel for every little bump and tap I possibly could. My eyes glued to my line as my worm hopped across the bottom, rod ready to strike into action.
    Sorry to tell a story, but hopefully I made my point. Make every cast like your first and last!

http://www.bassfishin.com/article64.htm

Quote Originally Posted by VSdreams View Post
    Most Common Mistakes

#1. The "Confidence Bait" Flaw
    This is probably the biggest mistake I see anglers make on the water. Every fisherman has a confidence bait. That one lure that always seems to catch fish and outdoes the other lures in your tackle box. Ask Denny Brauer what his confidence bait is and he'll tell you straight up, "The Jig". He's made millions fishing that lure. Rarely will you ever see him on TV throwing a spinnerbait or slug-go. So what is wrong with having a confidence bait? Nothing, but if you are going to be like Denny Brauer and always throw that confidence bait, you better know how to catch fish with it day in and day out in all conditions.
    I see it all the time. Fisherman will catch a ton of bass one day on say a worm, and the next day they are trying to do the same thing. I know I would be trying to do the same thing as the day before, but if it isn't working, it isn't working. I've seen fisherman go the whole day fishing one bait, changing colors thinking a little blue fleck may be all the change that's needed to get those bass striking again. You have to be cognizant and realize when it's time to make a change.
    When you find yourself fishing a lure and not getting any bites, two things should come into your mind. One, do I need to change location? Or two, maybe this bait has lost its appeal to the fish. I used to be the kind of fisherman to fish a bait for hours even without a bite, convincing myself that if there were a fish to be found, he would hit my lure I was fishing. Now, I have realized it is much better to constantly change. I think a lot of anglers watch shows like BassMaster and FLW Tour and see these pros spending the whole day throwing the same bait, even though they may not be catching fish. But you have to remember, these pros have spent hundreds of hours pre-fishing their waters, so what is on their line they probably have good reason for it.
    So next time your out on the water and your not getting any strikes, change up! Adapt to the situation, and seek out an answer. Don't assume the fish will start biting and what you have tied on is your best bet, cause if you aren't catching fish, changing up should be the only thing on your mind!
    #2. Don't Be A Camper
    This is another common mistake I see anglers making. Whether the particular cover they are fishing has given up good fish in the past, or just looks like a winning hotspot, fisherman often make the mistake of camping out on a certain piece of cover. Have you ever been fishing down a relatively bare bank and come across a massive tree that has fallen into the water. This tree has hundreds of branches and every nook and cranny would have to hold a ten pound bass. Sure, sounds like a great laydown to me....I'd fish it! But if I hit the main spots of the laydown with my jig, and maybe toss a spinnerbait or crankbait to it a few times and get nothing, I'm out of there! Your fishing time is a precious commodity. Especially in a tournament, if your not getting bites on a piece of cover, disregard it and move on.
    I've seen fisherman spend hours fishing one single tree. They will tie on every lure and color combination imaginable. They have it in their mind that this tree, rock pile, or pier looks too good not to have active fish on it. If you spend hours on a piece of cover, there is a chance that you will find a nice fish hidden somewhere where your first hundred casts didn't reach. But you need to take the 'chance' out of fishing! So don't put all your faith on a single piece of cover, or your asking for disappointment.
    It seems this article was written with fresh water in mind, but it rings true for the salt. Be flexible, and move until you find the fish. Good advice.

Staying in with the wife instead of going fishing.

That has certainly cost me some fish this past year.

Quote Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
    Staying in with the wife instead of going fishing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankiesurf View Post
    That has certainly cost me some fish this past year.
    It can save a marriage though.

Quote Originally Posted by VSdreams View Post
    Most Common Mistakes

#2. Don't Be A Camper
    This is another common mistake I see anglers making. Whether the particular cover they are fishing has given up good fish in the past, or just looks like a winning hotspot, fisherman often make the mistake of camping out on a certain piece of cover.
    So true. The fish might have been going crazy yesterday because of the bait. Today the bait is gone, or they have moved up the river, down the coast. If you know you gave it your best shot and they are not hitting, it's time to move.

Mistakes in fishing certain depths. If you are fishing topwater and the fish are on the bottom you will never know if they're there or not.

^^Or not realizing the fish may be feeding in different depths during the tide stages, and at sunrise and sunset they come in to the shallows to feed. You may never notice this if you are always out in the middle of the day. Switch it up and take notes in your log.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast