Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NJ fishing reports june 2017 www.stripersandanglers.com

Nice going on the stripers. Have to admire your persistence jb. Good job with the Vets they deserve our respect

A 38# and 39# double header from yesterday evening caught casting a big spook and GRS (released).

Had to get within 100 yards of land and cast towards the beach for these. Don't worry we didn't mug any surf fisherman - they are all in the Cape Cod Canal chasing some kind of magical lunar tide.

Saturday we did a short, crew only fluke trip in the back of the bay and despite great drifting conditions the action was slow. Rui did manage his NY limit of 3 > 19"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg  

3.jpg  

They are at the Cape cod Canal because the charters drove the NJ June fishery into the ground even though we warned em. If you caught a 3rd fish you could have done the PR "released" photo

Quote Originally Posted by SharkHart View Post
    They are at the Cape cod Canal because the charters drove the NJ June fishery into the ground even though we warned em. If you caught a 3rd fish you could have done the PR "released" photo
    Lol, we had a 3rd fish last night. Can't grab a pic of everything when these micro "blitzes" now last 5-10 minutes at best...

Their CCC fishery sucks just as bad right now. Drive 4-5 hours North and you can count the number of fish caught on a multi-day trip with one hand. I rather take my chances driving 30 minutes to my backyard fishery that "sucks".

We can sit here and blame NJ charters for everything but during the good years the weigh in lists at the shops were going two pages long from surf guys when the bass pinned the bunker into the jetties but again only 30-50# class fish killed from the surf count.

The MA charter guys do just as much damage along with their commercial fisherman. The Montauk charter crew kills 30-50# bass almost daily all summer long of their rock piles and block island. We can't forget the southern guys who hammer these fish all winter long.

Overharvesting of fish is a community issue, not a boating issue. If the meat head surf guys were still catching they would still be killing.

IMO, this will be the new norm in bass fishing. With as much free info on techniques, locations, habits and migration patterns that are out there now these fish never stand a chance of making a come back because as soon as they start to recover they will get pounded all over again. The only positive is with crappy bass fishing is everyone has switched over to fluking since opening day. We were on prime grounds last night with only 6-8 other boats bass fishing around us.

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    Don't worry we didn't mug any surf fisherman - they are all in the Cape Cod Canal chasing some kind of magical lunar tide.

Congrats for the bass you caught. You are right on the $$ with that comment. They're only at CCC because social media told them to go. Where would all the pro staff be today if they couldn't chase reports on FB?

Are there fish being caught and not posted on the book of faces? Oh the horror.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 58691920.jpg  

Nice going on the stripers jb and others. There is never a need to apologize for fish that someone caught they were allowed to catch. My .02.

Great news. Have only been finding fluke from the surf. Fished somoco yesterday 6-8. Got a few short fluke on gulp and one small blue.

Great going gents I would give my left nut to get into some of those stripers! Seems like they are always too far out of reach, at least the big ones. Congrats though I know I will get into them one day, maybe in the fall. Tight lines.

Went to moco and tried my luck. Fished from 6:30 to 9. It was pretty quiet until about 15 minutes before sundown. There was some sort of baitfish getting pushed tight to the beach. Couldn't really see what it was but the fishies were real interested. There was 2 other guys and me. We had some nice blues for a while and then it stopped like someone turned off a switch. All on bucktails for me. One guy had a popper and he was doing ok as well. Biggest blue was a 34 incher. With the lack of decent reports lately I was happy to see blues, if only for a short while.

OC for an hour this morning. Incomeing tide, water was a little rough but not that dirty. Blues over the bar, metal. Hardly anyone out.

We fished Wednesday afternoon trying to target large ocean stripers but couldn't find any willing to cooperate. We covered a lot of water and only had one bass blow up on a live lined bunker near the boat.

Setup on the chunk after dark and the dogfish kept us busy. We landed two bass around the 32-34" range (both released) and missed/dropped at least two more.

Thanks for the bunker Jim!

3.jpg  

Cool report. Great job on the bunker transfer, love that pic.

Love the last photo too JB. Would make a great screen saver. Nice job on the catching too.

Me and the crew are still fishing the lower hudson. It has its moments. Overall it has slowed down a lot. Not a great year for the hudson in terms of quantity. Wish the bunker would have stayed and it might have been different.

Quote Originally Posted by ledhead36 View Post
    Me and the crew are still fishing the lower hudson. It has its moments. Overall it has slowed down a lot. Not a great year for the hudson in terms of quantity. Wish the bunker would have stayed and it might have been different.
    Quantity days are over this time maybe for ever thanks to the bunkers

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Wanted to do a meat trip before sea bass season closed.

Left the dock Saturday morning around 2am and chunked until 5:30am. Slow pick of bass from 31" to 45".

We caught another deformed bass, this one missing most of its gill plate and still put up a great fight.

Pickup up anchor and made the run to the sea bass grounds in the swells & fog.

We got our sea bass limit on jigs and ran back to the dock before the rain storms moved through.

Had a thresher steal one of our sea bass right next to the boat...had him hooked for a minute until he cut through the line.

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there.

3.jpg   4.jpg  

5.jpg  

Jb awesome report. Unusual catch. Never saw a striper that was that badly damaged and was still alive. Especially in the Gill plate.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Quantity days are over this time maybe for ever thanks to the bunkers
    I think you're right. They saved the bunker but not the stripers. And that beach replenishment just put the nail in the coffin.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast