Thread: NJ Fishing Reports for July 2012....www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Hybrid View

Red face Re: NJ Fishing Reports for July 2012....www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Fri night - Skunk. The East wind was blowing but wanted to keep it honest and went out anyway to do a little fishing and scouting. Checked out some back bay spots, nothing for me.

Sat night - very slow pick of bass, lots of fun.....

"All about the teaser".....
    I was out trying to find some cleaner water. Seems Monty and Mike O had the same idea.
    Somehow we all ran into each other in a back bay area.

I have not seen Mike O in person for a few years. You don't always remember people when you fish a lot and run into different characters. What I remembered about Mike was his old school surf bag, and some of the ways he fishes.
    Rubber eel on tin squid, (also a favorite of Finchaser and some of the other Old Farts....)......Hopkins fished slowly at night.....and some other old-school tactics......

Mike was the first to hook and land a bass. Nice keeper size around 10#.
    I think he also had the hot hand for the night with the biggest fish.
    All the rest were substantially smaller, but we all hooked and landed a few.
    It was a slow pick, we fished all night for those fish, and there were long periods of no activity.

The fish seemed to be feeding on very small calico crabs, small rainfish, and spearing, about 4" long.
    Coincidentally, spearing size black teasers were the only thing they would hit.
    We gradually saw that it was all about the teaser.
    Anything we threw was a "teaser delivery system"......we could probably have thrown an egg sinker with a teaser when the water was high, and still caught fish....(note, this is an "old-school" tactic as well)

Mike first noticed fish were on the bottom of the water column and had some success with metal and a teaser. As the tide dropped we ended up fishing plugs on top, still getting fish.

I don't know if Mike or Monty ended up being high hook.
    I have to confess I was definitely low hook.

For my teaser, I started out fishing a red rubber tube, feeling it would mimic the bait profile I had seen in the water.
    It only resulted in a dropped fish.
    Monty also noticed this as well, at first striking out with a short small teaser.
    I would say for last night under the new moon, black color was important for where we were, but that was secondary to size.

They would not hit anything else but a teaser in that size range.
    I stubbornly refused to switch to a teaser the size they were using.
    Googan Central.
    After they both landed multiple fish, I made the switch, thanks to Monty's generosity.

Monty also gave Mike a teaser when we saw Monty's teasers had a slight edge.
    Monty may be a Googan, but he is one of the most unselfish guys I know....

In all, I had a great time. Don't get to fish with site-members or others that much anymore as I too have become an Old Grouchy Basstard. I relish my Grouchiness, and the odors coming from me at night, because of the solitude it brings me.

However, it was a pleasure, and honor, to fish with these 2 fine fishermen.
    Would fish with either of ya's again, anytime...
    Really enjoyed the stories of the Sea Bright wall, the Flume, and fishing herring, in the old days, Mike, and the company of both of ya Mooks.

We were talking at the end (no talking during fishing!) and remarked that if you combined our catches, for the whole night, it would probably total only 1/2 of what that old Grouchy Basstard Finchaser has been managing each time he's out there, for a few hours of fishing....

Default Re: NJ Fishing Reports for July 2012....www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Good for you guys! Great report and details, felt like I was there. Thanks for the teaser info. Monty is very generous and has offered to send me teasers too. Hope you get some good mojo from that Monty!

Keeper size bass in July, as hot as it has been? Good deal, thank you for the report. Bass and fluke have been feeding heavily on the crabs lately. I have some softees and will be out tonight.

Saturday 5 to 9 AM released 7 bass and 7 blues all on Yozuri crystal minnow

Sunday AM 5:30 to 8am released 9 blues in the 3 to 5# range all on a jig head and white rip tide mullet paddle tail.

My friend Paul had the hot hand today releasing 11 bass and 10 blues he started at 5AM

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Monty,
    Thanks again for the black teaser. I haven' got to use it yet, but I will rig it up during the week and use it next time I go out. I never thought of it but, black at night does make sense. An old timer (older than me) once told me dark colors at night, light colors at light. Bass almost always hit darker plugs, especially at night, so why not a dark color teaser? I have some black bucktail and plan on making up a few. I was using a dark red with white with a little flash when I caught that 10 pounder. also I think the length propably is a factor. I guess thats why they call it fishing and not catching. If I ever have it all figured out, I will let you guys know.

Mike

NICE JOB FIN! I TRIED A FEW PLACES SUNDAY WITH NO LUCK. AS ALWAYS WHEN FISHING WITH THE LADY WE GO WHEN THE TIDE IS AT ITS LOWEST POINT AND LEAVE ON THE INCOMING IM GONING TO HAVE TO GET MY LAZY *** OUT OF THE HOUSE ON THE WEEKENDS BEFORE THE SUN COMES UP. GREAT REPORTS GUYS.

Wow, keeper bass in July. Not bad, not bad at all! I have been doing some fluking and crabbing and lots of camping and freshwater fishing. Got a kayak now and on my first trip to RB, I hooked up with this fluke 24"...

Crabs have been bigger for us than prior years so far. I just got back from a 3 day camping trip to Round Valley. Such a nice weekend! I am going to try for some bass now that I know there are some around and thanks for the photo of the teaser.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010936.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	15350

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    In all, I had a great time. Don't get to fish with site-members or others that much anymore as I too have become an Old Grouchy Basstard. I relish my Grouchiness, and the odors coming from me at night, because of the solitude it brings me.
    However, it was a pleasure, and honor, to fish with these 2 fine fishermen.
    Would fish with either of ya's again, anytime...
    It was great meeting Mike and its always an experience meeting up with you Dark while fishing (I always have a great time fishing with ya, I always learn something and its great talking fishing with ya, always fun). I finished up around 7:30, didn't get anything else (small stargazer on a teaser). Great time, good to see stripes again, great weather.

Here is the teaser Dark and me caught with. I think it is almost the same length Mike caught on first.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012_7_22_teaser.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	15346
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Hey Dark and Monty, It certainly was a pleasure fishing with both of you guys. Dark lives up to his rep, on giving info and Monty also giving me that black teaser. Dark is a funny guy. You should have seen how excited he was when I hooked into that bass, he was like a little kid in a candy store. Lots of fun. We have to do it again sometime. Again guys, Thanks.