Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I win the googan of the year award

Default I win the googan of the year award

Well I have a week vacation, last day of work was friday. Could not fish this am because power problems and can't leave wife at home alone with 5 cats and a bird and a new hip and new knee (that's what she told me so I did not fish). So picked up a bunch of branches outside this morning, found big branch broken in tree 15 feet high, stuck there. Thought better get it down, could fall on a kid. Threw brick at it, no good. Great idea, SS popper, 2 3/8 oz, big hooks, tied it to 50 lb PP, threw it at the branch. Never left my hand. Embedded hook (and barb) into pinky. Went to wife's sons house with bolt cutters, he cut the hook so SS plug was not dangling. Went IMC , xrays, said go to hospital. At hospital as I write this, needed something to do while waiting. Yup googen of the year, should have thrown that plug with my lami. Rough start to my vacation, a frieking snow storm and googen judgment LOL, is that the correct spelling for googen?
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Nothing wrong with what ya did, bro, I might have done the same (but I might have rummaged around for a ladder and chain saw first....)

Next time, get a pool cue for a rod so ya have less backlash...I might recommend a Harnell, or ya can ask Finchaser for advice...

Hope ya feel better....on Monday I'm going to the trophy shop to see if I can get one printed up in your name...how do ya spell your last name again?...

I believe the spelling is "GOOGAN". Yes you are one. I'll throw in a few dollars towards the trophy if you need the dough, dark. It could happen to anyone, don't sweat it. Get well, there are fish to catch.

Just call me Monty Googan (thanks for the spelling Jigreak). From now on whenever I am in a situation when I need to throw a plug and am confused I'll call Finchaser (a lesson learned). Hopefully get this puppy out of my pinky in the next hour or two, was/still planning on hitting the beach aroud 1:00 am. They are running on generator at this hospital (Morristown). Things moving a bit slow, but they are very nice here.

I have found that to hit a tree I have to cast at the water...

Good luck with your hand.

You definitely qualify for the googan club - more because you can't spell it than because you caught your hand

Hey Monty like they said it could have happened to anybody. Get well soon!

Got back from my 'big weekend' at Montauk to find tree's and branches down all over the yard. Do you have a number for Googan tree service? Sounds like my kind of company.

Feel better!

Thanks for the well wishes.
    As to it could have happened to anyone...
    Who is 30 miles from the beach, takes a plug in his hand, ties line too it, and throws (tries to throw it with his hand) it at a tree.....
    The Googan of the year does it.
    Well all better. Thanks again....
    Here is an xray of it.

Still not in Darks league but closonig in quick

Hope your ok and heal fast

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Ouch, after looking at the X-ray. Hope it all good. that stuff happens when you least expect it.

Ha ha you are such a dork-googan. 30 miles from the beach and you snag your hand. Guess you have a really good hookset! pun intended. Feel better dude.

Monty, if the shoe fits, make sure you don't use a plug with trebles to snag it!
    Some perspectives on googanism-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boat googan.png   googan of the year.jpg  

Googan definition:
    Googan A fishing (not sexual) term for lowlife, shore(bank) fishermen who baitfish typically without a license, regard to regulations, and etiquette towards other people, especially other fishermen following the rules.
    Damn, I couldn't find a spot at the river yesterday. It was totally full of googans hogging up the place, dropping f-bombs, and snagging fish.

I don't think you are a googan monty. Maybe a little deranged, but not a googan. Hope things get better.

Cool x-ray, bud. Got any pics of the bloody finger with the hook in it?

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Still not in Darks league but closonig in quick
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    Cool x-ray, bud. Got any pics of the bloody finger with the hook in it?

Thanks for the well wishes and laughs.
    Really not a big deal, needed to pass some time in hospital.
    Should be fishing by 4:30 AM this morning.
    Been fishing long time and never buried a barb in myself or anyone else.
    Here's a link to the hook in the finger.
    http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_10_30_hook3.jpg

Monty, do me a favor. Before you leave to go fishing in the morning, please remove all hooks from your plugs.

What he said ^^^ bring a brick seems your pretty safe with them

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

On second thought, maybe you should let some one else remove those hooks for you. Feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by surfwalker View Post
    Monty, do me a favor. Before you leave to go fishing in the morning, please remove all hooks from your plugs.
    or crush he barbs they come out easier
    Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    What he said ^^^ bring a brick seems your pretty safe with them
    Bob I have to say no matter how down in the dumps I am you always make me laugh that was a great one Sorry Monty.

Now we went through this the other day A storm is no way to start your vacation another tip don't do any yard work on vacation if you do decide to use a plug to get a branch out of a tree don't use mine the hooks are sharp I guess you know that now at least it wasn't the 5 oz. pencil I did that qualifies for a plug and brick at the same time that could have really sucked.One ? was it easier to cut the hook with a split ring on it or not for future discussion.All Googaning aside glad to hear your ok and fishing again take care Ray.Have a safe vacation
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast