Thread: The life of a nomad, tips for on the road fishin

Hybrid View

Two words. Trail Mix.

You can get giant bags of the stuff at BJ's or Sams Club. They are great for boosting protein and sugar levels and if you eat enough you won't have to find a bathroom for three days.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankiesurf View Post
    Two words. Trail Mix.

....and if you eat enough you won't have to find a bathroom for three days.

Yeah but when you find the bathroom you better have a lot of toilet paper!!

It's not a good idea to carry your plug bag for 5 nights in a row without using a jacket or something as a buffer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6-24-09 043.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	7030

Default Find someplace safe to sleep

Take it from someone who learned the hard way by sideswiping the back 1/4 of the truck when a tree was too close to the side of the road.

I drive all over for a shot at decent fish, and have learned no fish is worth the consequences of an accident. Even a 5 hour energy drink has a let-down point.

When I get to that stage now, the first thing I do is pull over, get out, and do squats to get the blood going. Jumpin jacks if I have to, anything to get that blood pumping through my veins.

If that doesn't cut it for the next hour or so, I know I'm done and have to find a place to crash. I tend to stay away from rest stops because of the fruitcakes you meet at night there. So I look for a restaurant that will open in the morning with a secluded parking lot in the back, a bakery, deli, something like that. Then I hit the back and grab a few z'ssss. Nothing like the alert attitude you get from a few hour's sleep, and it may save your life.

Could also prevent your family from the choice of what suit they should bury you in, so that decision to turn off and grab some sleep could impact a lot of people, if ya know what I mean.

Fish hard, but drive safe, that's my PSA for the day.

Default Montauk on $15/day

Found some spots worth mentioning:

(I had more pics, but somehow lost about 50 of them)

Hess Station, Rt27E, Southhampton - the best place to hit the bathroom if you're traveling with a wife or girlfriend. Clean beautiful bathrooms, they will impress any woman you bring with you to Mecca.

Food on a budget - I hit up the IGA in Montauk, best value around. Food for 2 days cost me $28 this time, including a 12 pk of soda cause I ran out. I would advise to bring your liquids to Montauk instead of buying there, you WILL get thirsty.

Name:	9-11-09 022.jpg 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	7667

Ice, I make my own 25# blocks, for the fall one block can last for 3 days.

Name:	9-11-09 023.jpg 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	7668

Fuel - don't buy in Montauk or any towns east, fill your tank near Shinnecock or further West. As of 9-12-09, they're charging $3.32.gallon for regular gas.

Default Chafing and wet neoprene

I don't have chafing problems with my breathables, but I ain't wearin breathables on the rocks at Montauk just to slice a hole in em when I get knocked sideways.

So it's the neoprene backup pair for me. Whenever I wear them for more than a day, my ankles get chafed by the pants and I get bloody blisters.

Here's my solution...

Name:	9-11-09 064.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	7671

Name:	9-11-09 063.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	7672

Might look kinda weird, but I wrap the tape loosely, circulation is fine. More importantly, I wore the waders for 2 days with no chafing, rash, I'm jumpin for joy!

A better, in my opinion, idea for cooler ice, is to freeze the half liter bottles of spring water. I buy the 24 pack sams choice at wally world. 24 for $3. In a 150 coleman, use 40. as they Thaw, you got cold water to drink.
    God is Great, Beer is Good, People are crazy.