Thread: Techniques - unconventional

Hybrid View

Default dangling

I used it today to fish an area that the shoreline is steep and private property.
    I stood on the bridge and slung it out,drifted it out about 180 yards[diaw firewolf rod,glass,9.5 feet/ming-Yang CL-70 loaded with 290 yards of 30 mono] and let it slide to the left and hang it slacker water during the last 2 hrs of flooding tide.8 feet of 50 mono and a 6 inch sea shad.had 6 hits landed 4 fish,school size but it allowed me to fish an area that you only can fish by boat AND my car is 6 feet away from my back.
    reel up,rod away and hop in and go.

R-P
    Takes a Big Man to sling Big Wood,,,,boys sling plastic,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Rip-Plugger View Post
    had 6 hits landed 4 fish,school size but it allowed me to fish an area that you only can fish by boat AND my car is 6 feet away from my back.
    reel up,rod away and hop in and go.

R-P
    Sounds like the perfect fishing spot.

Default Tips for tins

I think you should patent that dangle fishing method RP. Then you could package it with some new plug or lure designed around it and sell it on an infomercial, you could get rich.
    Or, it could end up as fill on the late night TV commercials. Hey you never know.

Dressing tins, when throwing tins in the fall surf, sometimes it's not needed to cast very far. When the conditions are that way, if I have a single hook on my tin I'll put a bucktail on it, or a white grub. Sometimes that's the ticket for getting the fish to hit it. You do lose some distance, so only do it if the fish are in close.

Thanks dogfish I'lll have to try that.

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    When the conditions are that way, if I have a single hook on my tin I'll put a bucktail on it, or a white grub. Sometimes that's the ticket for getting the fish to hit it. You do lose some distance, so only do it if the fish are in close.
    Or you could put a sandeel teaser or a sluggo on an ava, that can work well too. Like that dangle method too, that was funny.

Default cracking me up

I think you should add the clambrella, clamzilla, and fishing window weights from the beach to some of these conventional tactics.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=7147

Dark, you should really consider putting some of these in a "best of' forum so we can find them in the winter.

Default Re: cracking me up

^ Steve, funny suggesstions....if we ever take this show on the road. I'm, designating you as the Promo Dude....

Here are some more techniques that I came across the other night, and I hope it's all right with Mike O to share them with you guys. Remember, this is old-skool, and when the guys who fish this way aren't around any longer, some of it may be lost for good.......

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    What I remembered about Mike was his old school surf bag, and some of the ways he fishes.
    Rubber eel on tin squid, (also a favorite of Finchaser and some of the other Old Farts....)......Hopkins fished slowly at night.....and some other old-school tactics......

Mike was the first to hook and land a bass. Nice keeper size around 10#.
    I think he also had the hot hand for the night with the biggest fish.
    All the rest were substantially smaller, but we all hooked and landed a few.
    It was a slow pick, we fished all night for those fish, and there were long periods of no activity.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies;60649Here are some more techniques that I came across the other night, and I hope it's all right with Mike O to share them with you guys. Remember, this is [B
    old-skool[/B], and when the guys who fish this way aren't around any longer, some of it may be lost for good.......
    Because most dudes don't want to work for fish.
    If I came out with a plug tomorrow, rattles and erratic swimming, had it available in 100 crazy colors, had some of the surf guys show pics of it catching 30 lb fish, and said you dont even have to work this plug, just reel, I could probably clean up and sell thousands. Guys are always looking for the next best thing. The old school things you talk about here are some of the best because they have been working for decades. Ex - drifting worms on a float for weakfish or bass, almost always gives up fish even in the hottest months. But how many guys are on the forums saying they caught fish this way? Or bucktailing on the bottom of an inlet or river, another sure fire way to get uninterested fish to hit. How many ae doing that.
    It's always the next best thing, that is going to catch the fish. What folks don't realize is the next best thing has been available at the tackle shop, since tackle shops first opened their doors.

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    I think you should add the clambrella, clamzilla, and fishing window weights from the beach to some of these conventional tactics.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=7147

Dark, you should really consider putting some of these in a "best of' forum so we can find them in the winter.
    X2!