Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: jetty safety, jetty tips

Default Jetty Pointers

Lets start a list of pointers about fishing on the jetty.

Use Korkers

watch the green rocks! Especially when landing a fish, use the waves and flex your rod to get the fish to a rock then grab the leader rather then scale down to the slippery stuff.

If you dont have korkers or dont take that advice yes certain jetties are fishable without on a calm day, but years ago i hit a blitz and i didnt realize it but i was "fishing up" my previously dry and safe rock. i slipped in slime and slammed my elbow good. a 22 lber about 5 mins later numbed the pain, but it literally hurt for about 12 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkHart View Post
    watch the green rocks! Especially when landing a fish, use the waves and flex your rod to get the fish to a rock then grab the leader rather then scale down to the slippery stuff.

If you dont have korkers or dont take that advice yes certain jetties are fishable without on a calm day, but years ago i hit a blitz and i didnt realize it but i was "fishing up" my previously dry and safe rock. i slipped in slime and slammed my elbow good. a 22 lber about 5 mins later numbed the pain, but it literally hurt for about 12 weeks.
    This advice is on the $$. The other night we were fishing some slippery rocks. Some new guys crawled out to where we were, I saw that they weren't wearing Korkers, started chatting a little bit.
    Turns out they are hardcore freshwater guys.

But, they were and on the rocks for the first time that night, and fishing the salt for the first time, In an oncoming storm.

Dudes, don't mean to embarass you guys, know you will probably read this. We all had to start somewhere, no elitism here, But as a PSA, I wanna state that when you come out onto the rocks without korkers, you are forgetting 3 things:

1. your safety - if you slip, you're gonna bash something on your body at the very least. You might also be going in, and might drown. My friend told me that when I went out to fish the very front of the rocks, one of you guys slipped, hovered over the edge, and caught yourself at the last minute. He really thought you weree going in, you're just a little lucky.

2. your family's future - the one guy had a little son. I asked him how his family would survive if he was found drowned off the jetties. Guess that was something to think about.

3. my safety - if I saw someone slip ioff the rocks and fall into the water, I couldn't just stand there. I would have to jump in and try to save them. Waiting for a rescue in a situation that remote means that the person will likely drown, so the first few seconds are critical. So you are putting no only yourselves and your family's future in jeopardy, but the safety of others who will be compelled to save your soggy asses.

If those guys do read this, please understand I'm not trying to target you for ballbusting, but you can provide an example to others. You get those korkers, and I run into you again, I'lll take yas around and try my best to get you a fish.

Get the korkers. Tape them on your boots with duct tape. Live longer.

Default jetty safety, jetty tips

I read a post on another site where a guy almost lost his life because he was taking shots of BIRDS!!!

Pretty stupid if you ask me, and that guy is very lucky to be alive. I thought about all the times I was out there and guys had only sneakers on. So let's talk about jetty safety, the life you save may be your own. What advice could you guys who have experience give to someone who is just learning. I know sooner or later I'll run into trouble, and I don't want to drown for it. Wearing good korkers would be the first obvious piece of advice, the guy that got wedged in the rocks wasn't wearing any.

I have seen guys on jetties with sneakers on, or barefoot. you're right, at the very least you want to have korkers on.

I don't fish most jetties. At my age it is not worth it. I will fish the few that are paved with concrete at times when they are not overrun with people. A tip I would give would be to always go with a friend. Over the years, too many people have been lost to drownings off of a jetty. This is a good idea to have these discussions.

Here is the direct link to the guys site with pictures of him. I'm glad he is ok.

http://www.howardsview.com/Jetty/Jetty.html

Do not wear waders if you go in the drink you will never swim with them on and you will not get them off you will most likely drown from exhaustion wear rain pants they are easier to get off and if you can't you have a much better chance of swimming with them,you should fish with someone any way. I always carry a sharp knife in a sheath to cut off anything I may need to.You always have to watch the waves that are rolling along the rocks you never know when that one is going to catch you off guard.If you do catch a fish be very cautious of where you will land it pick a fairly safe spot and try to get the fish there NO FISH IS WORTH YOUR LIFE!!! If you are fishing at night walk cautiously on the rocks be aware of the holes you may fall into you could break a leg and be stranded if no one is around.

I was fishing the pocket before an inlet once in my kayak. This was near sunset, and there were only a few people around. This guy fell in and started yelling. I pedaled over to him threw him an extra rope, and pulled him to the side of my yak. I was afraid he would capsize us. The current wasn't that bad, outgoing into slack, so I wasn't worried that much.

There was also another boat a short distance away that was there within minutes and pulled him out of the water. He later told us he had been leaning over to pull a favorite plug out of the rocks. He never did get that plug. No plug is worth your life, not even a rare Habs.

I've seen many people fall but only one sticks out in my mind.I was fishinat the Manasquan and a kid maybe 16 comes out in sneakers ang goes out on the jacks.There was about 6 russian guy's out there and this kid tried to get down to the water.I hear one of the russian guy's yellin and go over here the kid went down between two Jacks.The russian guys are scramblin and yellin the kid is bleedin everywhere.I started to head out to help they get him up.His right pant leg was gone as well as the skin on that leg.His rod was busted he was cryin.And he just took off.I tried to get him to sit down and called 911.With 1 shoe half of his pants and blood everywhere he made his way off the jetty.Don't know what happened to him.The russian guys and I all went back to fishin.Later as we left the jetty one of the guy's who I see all the time said as soon as the kid came out on the jacks they told him to be careful.He said the kid laughed and said he did this all the time.My buddy smiled and said what he fall every time out???

FC
    PASS IT ON!!TAKE A KID FISHING!!!!

fishincrazy are you talking about the smooth cement bowling pins at Manasquan when you say jacks? I didn't think anyone could walk out there without korkers, that must have been insane.

My story isn't that exciting. One time a friend and I who didn't know better went out on a concrete filled jetty, so it wasn't that bad. One part was slippery, and he fell and gashed his arm. We learned that even the concrete ones have wet slippery spots.

Quote Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
    I have seen guys on jetties with sneakers on, or barefoot.
    That seems to be the required gear by us as well.

dude if you are out on a jetty with barefeet you deserve whatever happens to you

Default Jetties

The last time I was out on the jetties there were so many people there. I get tired of getting mugged. Wanted to try it again, this time I'm heading out at night. Does anyone else see this as being a bigger problem this year over last?
    Last edited by DarkSkies; 07-21-2009 at 05:19 AM. Reason: merged threads

I can't say I see a bigger problem with it this year it seems just about the same. I have changed my fishing habits recently. I seldom fish the jetties during the day anymore. The bite would have to be awesome to get me out there. I try to do my jetty fishing at night, there is alot more elbow room.

"Does anyone else see this as being a bigger problem this year over last? "

It helps to have a boat, so you can fish the front of any jetty you want, no crowding.

Or you can get some of the latest jetty wear, you can order it in specialty catalogs

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RiotGear.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	6923

no jetties down here. a coupla inlets have them but that's it.

i miss 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by jonthepain View Post
    no jetties down here. a coupla inlets have them but that's it.

i miss 'em.
    I couldn't think of what it would be like to fish a place that didn't have structure. You have my sympathies.

Quote Originally Posted by 7deadlyplugs View Post
    I read a post on another site where a guy almost lost his life because he was taking shots of BIRDS!!!

Pretty stupid if you ask me, and that guy is very lucky to be alive.
    Safety first, no birds or fish are worth your life.

I like that riot gear pic bababooey!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast