Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ming-Yang Reels

Default Ming-Yang Reels

anyone here fish Ming-Yang winches?
    I own 6 of them and they are a great value for cheap cost.
    strong drag,great looks and simple design.
    ya can't go wrong with them.

R-P

R-P,
    I'm strictly a spin fisherman (tried conventional a little awile back).
    How do the conventional reels hold up to the salt and sand? Tougher to maintain? I know when I am in the rough water with a lot of sand in it I get some sand in my reel, I dunk it, turn the handle and I am good to go. How do the reels you use stand up in the sand and salt?
    Reels like the Ming Yang?
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

i had a ming yang cl 70 it did a job on big blues for half the summer it had no problems but i am a spinning guy so i sold the reel the guy who got the reel got a good deel

Default sand,,

[QUOTE=Monty;10119]R-P,
    I'm strictly a spin fisherman (tried conventional a little awile back).
    How do the conventional reels hold up to the salt and sand?

[they do just fine,maybe better than spinning if ya keep sand outside the gears.
    some are so precision with close tolerances of spool/frame that even a single grain of sand will have the reel making strange sounds.]

Tougher to maintain? I know when I am in the rough water with a lot of sand in it I get some sand in my reel, I dunk it, turn the handle and I am good to go. How do the reels you use stand up in the sand and salt?
    Reels like the Ming Yang?

[my ming-yangs all have 2 seasons on them and I have no problems at all yet.
    I sling big wood out in the rips and drift them waaay out then hold them there til they drift out then I bring the wood back slow.caught many a fattie with them and they work perfectly.
    my high end gear does the very same thing just totally smoother and easier with all the bearings all over the place.I love winch reels,I picked 1 up 11 years ago and the sold off all my spinnng rigs except5 and 1 of them is an antique.]

R-P

Default oh yeah,,

Quote Originally Posted by gjb1969 View Post
    i had a ming yang cl 70 it did a job on big blues for half the summer it had no problems but i am a spinning guy so i sold the reel the guy who got the reel got a good deel
    GJB,

I know they can do it,I have 2 CL-70's[1,red,1,blue]they hold a ton of line and I have hit 30 pound fish 250 yrds out and layed into them with mine.dragged them in easily.great winch for that knda of money.

R-P

thats why i wanted to try them for that money if i like them i will get another if not just sell it they are worth more money the birds nest just got to me i will stay with spinning

Quote Originally Posted by gjb1969 View Post
    thats why i wanted to try them for that money if i like them i will get another if not just sell it they are worth more money the birds nest just got to me i will stay with spinning
    well,you do know it's a learning curve with slinging winches,the cl-70 is a beast to swing but it come to ya after a short while.

R-P

I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct., but my heart is in SoCo.

I have four of them. The 60 sized reels. I'm impressed with how well they cast and perform.

Default Hey,,

Hi there JZ,

good to see ya here,I already know you have the MY's,I am glad I tried them.
    now we both can share what we know about them with others that don't know.

Rip-Plugger
    aka H-H

Hi Rip - P, I thought that was you. I'm gonna get a 70 for this season.
    These reels are sleepers for sure. A good bang for the buck.
    EACH ONE, TEACH ONE !
    <*((())))>< <*((())))><

Default !

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy z View Post
    Hi Rip - P, I thought that was you. I'm gonna get a 70 for this season.
    These reels are sleepers for sure. A good bang for the buck.
    oh yeah,the 70 is a real winch for sure.that guy philbert,from australia said he caught sharks on his @ 150 pounds without a problem so I know they are strong.

I just picked up an Omoto 777-S3[black] for 70 bucks on ebay,it is a gem!
    I'm impressed at how well built it is also it seems to have some stainless inside.
    at any rate I'm building a stick for it 9 ft or so and 1-4 oz for slinging big wood out in this area I know that as a very long rip right from shore,just toss it out and let it drift then hold it there till it either rolls out or gets smashed.slow bringback.works great in june.
    did very well there that whole month.

cheers

I have the 777, and used it this past Fall. There is a line out clutch, for when you cast. Depress the line out button, and turn the handle, it will revolve about 180 degrees with out engaging the spool. It is safe to cast with the handle in this mode.
    The large bulb of a handle knob, will be at a 6:00 position. What had happened to me, is that I did not have the handle in that position, a few times when I got the reel. I was not aware of this feature. And it's a darned good one BTW. I just have to remember it's there. If ya every felt an Abu engage, on the cast, than this is the same. I blew the dog. And it failed, the dog that is on a 25# bass.
    That was a fun night. The reel has good drags, and that saved the situation.
    I changed the dog, and all is well. The reel is like a tank, and casts very well.
    I plan on getting another, for the season.
    (I also bought extra dogs, just in case)
    EACH ONE, TEACH ONE !
    <*((())))>< <*((())))><

Oh, one more thing I like about the reel, is the # 777, it was given.
    I will not buy the 666 model. If ya want, I'll explain, my feelings about the #'s. But ya might get my drift.
    EACH ONE, TEACH ONE !
    <*((())))>< <*((())))><

I have the 777, and used it this past Fall. There is a line out clutch, for when you cast. Depress the line out button, and turn the handle, it will revolve about 180 degrees with out engaging the spool. It is safe to cast with the handle in this mode.
    The large bulb of a handle knob, will be at a 6:00 position. What had happened to me, is that I did not have the handle in that position, a few times when I got the reel. I was not aware of this feature. And it's a darned good one BTW. I just have to remember it's there. If ya every felt an Abu engage, on the cast, than this is the same. I blew the dog. And it failed, the dog that is on a 25# bass.
    That was a fun night. The reel has good drags, and that saved the situation.
    I changed the dog, and all is well. The reel is like a tank, and casts very well.
    I plan on getting another, for the season.
    (I also bought extra dogs, just in case)
    I take it that yours is equipped with the large rubber knob?
    ,,mine has the flat single paddle type handle which,I'm glad it does.it is nearly fully balanced without a heavy side to it.
    I would love to know where you found parts for it as I don't want mine to be down any time if anything happens.
    share with me.

R-P

Default !

Oh, one more thing I like about the reel, is the # 777, it was given.
    I will not buy the 666 model. If ya want, I'll explain, my feelings about the #'s. But ya might get my drift.
    oh yeah,I get your drift on that point m8,I need not worry,I am a warlock and was born of a jackal so it will actually be quite fitting for me.

R-P

What's good is that it uses the same dog as an Abu 6500/7000 dog. I believe that other parts would be interchangable as well. I was happy about that.
    EACH ONE, TEACH ONE !
    <*((())))>< <*((())))><

Quote Originally Posted by Rip-Plugger View Post
    I take it that yours is equipped with the large rubber knob?
    ,,mine has the flat single paddle type handle which,I'm glad it does.it is nearly fully balanced without a heavy side to it.
    I would love to know where you found parts for it as I don't want mine to be down any time if anything happens.
    share with me.

R-P
    Yes, the large bulb type. There is an Autralian site that has 'em for less than 50.00 bucks. I have the metalic blue/green sideplates.
    EACH ONE, TEACH ONE !
    <*((())))>< <*((())))><

Default !

Yes, the large bulb type. There is an Autralian site that has 'em for less than 50.00 bucks. I have the metalic blue/green sideplates.
    Oh,I see.
    mine came from prochallenger in florida.he's on ebay and he also has the VS-10 which I love but it has no levelwind.
    looks like a cross with an avet and an accurate.

R-P

Default Stingray tackle

JZ,

have a look at sr when ya get a chance,you'll find some interesting stuff there I believe!

Quote Originally Posted by Rip-Plugger View Post
    JZ,

have a look at sr when ya get a chance,you'll find some interesting stuff there I believe!
    Yup. I've seen their stuff. All-American Outdoors has some as well, including Tonman reels, which are prolly made by Omoto as well.
    EACH ONE, TEACH ONE !
    <*((())))>< <*((())))><

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast