Thread: Kayak Trips and Fishing Reports 2013

Hybrid View

Default Re: Kayak Trips and Fishing Reports 2013

Some of you mooks have been hassling me for fishing Ambrose at night in the yak....
    While I admit it is a bit insane...it's doable if you pick a night where there may not be that much shipping traffic....and find a stable weather pattern...

Eli does whatever it takes to get fish...
    He was fishing inside JBay and the back of Breezy Point, but as the bay got hotter the fluke and bigger fish are starting to move out into the channels, as they do every year...

He knows that intuitively, so today he paddled over to Ambrose, launchng from Brooklyn. ...
    Talk about hard-core, here is his report......
    (Pics and report courtesy of Eli...WTG!

Kayaking the Ambrose:
    Took the yak in big water today and bucktailed a few keeper Fluke in the afternoon, rounded it out with catching a bunch of weakfish to 28" and a southern croaker also joined the catch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	133217 aug 12 2013.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	17383

Everything on bucktails and Gulp! today, wish I had some live spot for the channel.

IN most parts of Jersey nearshore now we have a bluefish drought.
    Not many in the surf, and they are small cocktails when you find some...party boats are fishing 5-15 miles offshore of us where bluefish are abundant...only to catch limits of peewees measuring in inches and not pounds.
    '
    While there are many who turn their noses up at bluefish, I absolutely love the devastation and destruction caused by the bigger ones....when they are around either you lose all your gear, tackle, and plugs in the frenzy, or you learn to deal with it and manage to score a few gorillas.

really enjoyed your report, Cheech...it's been way too long since I've talked to ya....
    Thanks for the report.
    You sound like you had a blast,,,as always a pleasure to read a Cheech report..WTG!

(pics and report courtesy of Cheech )

Gorilla Blues in the Western Sound....8-12-13

Name:	133200 aug 12 2013.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	17385

Name:	133199 aug 12 2013.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	17384

The bunker got slammed today by the ospreys, the bluefish, and my treble snag.

Had trouble getting a intact bunker back to the kayak to liveline on a steel wired tandem hook rig.

Huge acrobatic bluefish were everywhere, my 15#mono, and 65#braid mainlines got sliced many times. Within seconds my drags were screaming on every drop.

After losing several rigs, all my steel leaders and a snag, I took the rubber tube off a 18" ss wire tube n worm and fished that. Fished till my hands and wrists were shot. The nearby porgy/fluke boats were also killing them by all the noise those guys were making. Next time I'll have plenty of steel and a real boat rod and reel. Got two non keeper bass on the way back to the dock.

Awesome reports thanks for sharing!

I love big bluefish

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    He knows that intuitively, so today he paddled over to Ambrose, launchng from Brooklyn. ...
    Talk about hard-core, here is his report......
    (Pics and report courtesy of Eli...WTG!

Kayaking the Ambrose:
    Took the yak in big water today and bucktailed a few keeper Fluke in the afternoon, rounded it out with catching a bunch of weakfish to 28" and a southern croaker also joined the catch.

Name:	133217 aug 12 2013.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	17383

Everything on bucktails and Gulp! today, wish I had some live spot for the channel.
    Sorry but I have to question this hope you are not offended.
    You can't fish the Ambrose Channel in a kayak that's a major shipping lane!