Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ernie Wuesthoff is gone

Default Ernie Wuesthoff is gone

He died Mon Jan 25. What a character he was. RIP Ernie.

http://obits.nj.com/obituaries/starl...&pid=138983940
    Ernest Wuesthoff Jr.

Ernest Wuesthoff Jr., fisherman and owner of "The Bait 'n' Tackle Shop" in Normandy Beach since 1962, passed away on Monday. He was 84. He was known as "Ernie" to all who encountered him. Ernie was a lifelong resident of New Jersey. He went to school in Union City, and then joined the Navy. He was proud to serve his country in World War II. Ernie learned to fish soon after he could walk. He would watch his father play baseball at Hudson County Park, and he soon stumbled upon the fishermen lining the banks of the Hudson River.

Ernie would swear that, at age four, he spotted his first fish swimming by prior to catching it. Ernie, like many of his peers, had to grow up fast. He took his first job at a bait and tackle shop when he was just 7 years old. He credits shop owner, Muriel Owens, with much of his fishing prowess and business savvy.

While Ernie never cared as much about baseball as his father and his younger brother, George, did, it was Ernie who would cross paths with one of the greatest ballplayers of all time, Ted Williams. Ernie and Ted were stationed in Pensacola, Fla., in the 40s. The two bonded quickly over their love of fishing. They were also both skilled gunsmiths. Ernie and Ted fished together for many years after their military service ended. Ernie opened his first shop "Cliffside Rod and Gun" in 1946.

However, Ernie always had his eye on the Jersey shore, and in 1962, he opened up shop in Normandy Beach. At that time "The Bait 'n' Tackle Shop" was the only game in town.

He built a reputation as an honest, knowledgeable fisherman. He loved to teach people the joy of fishing, especially children. Generations of fishermen have learned from him. His students have returned year after year with their children and grandchildren, hoping Ernie would impart a bit of his wisdom. His fishing stories have become almost legendary. While Ernie could talk a big game, he could certainly back it up. He knew his stretch of sand better than anyone. If you met Ernie on the beach, he would be sure to point you in the right direction, hand you the best lure, then head off the beach to help his wife, Charlene, at the shop. He just wanted everyone to love fishing as much as he did.

Ernie loved to quote famous authors and poets. Oliver Wendell Holmes was among his favorites. Holmes once said, "Every calling is great, when greatly pursued." Ernie found his calling at an early age, and in his pursuit, he achieved greatness. Ernie's contribution to those lucky enough to know him will last forever.

Ernie is survived by his wife, Charlene Wuesthoff of Brick; his daughters, Holly Crespo of Brick, Jeanne Merry of Toms River, and Paula Robinson of Iowa; his son, Steven Wuesthoff of Toms River; his two grandsons, William and Michael Wuesthoff, and his brother, George Wuesthoff of Atlantic Highlands. Viewing hours are from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. with a prayer service being offered at 8 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 29, 2010, at Weatherhead Young Funeral Home, 885 Mantoloking Rd., Brick, NJ 08723, (732) 920-1811.

Thoughts and prayers for the family.

Default So long Ernie, hope to cast a few with you in the next life

Boy, was it painful to read that. Ernie has been around for forever. You could always count on a good story when you went into his shop in Normandy Beach. A lot of people said they were fish stories, but to me I didn't care. They were great stories just the same.

Whether you had a good or bad day fishing, even if no one else was catching, Ernie would always have something good to say. Some might call him an eternal optimist, some might say he was just trying to sell tackle.

I think the real thing that Ernie did for lots of people, other than provide reports and decent intel, was to give them a link to the past. He was never too busy, never too cranky, never wanted to push you out of the store so he could go on to the next customer.

I went to his store for years just to buy his hand-tied teaser rigs. Other stores closer by had them also. I didn't have to go to Ernie's for them. But buying them from him, I was guaranteed a colorful fish story or 2 if he was there.

In recent years he was less involved in the management of the store. His years crept up on him, but he would never tell you that. His wife and granddaughter Holly did most of the day to day stuff, and he even taught Holly how to make the hand-tied teaser rigs as it became too much for his arthritic hands.

Ernie was not one to complain. He may have had some health problems but you never heard him talk about it. He seemed to me to be a guy who always minimized that side of things.

Instead he would tell you his fish tales! As he was telling them, you would think to yourself, man this story is a whopper, he has to be exaggerating, just a bit? But it didn't matter. He told all his stories with such a flourish that you couldn't help but hang on every word. At least, that's the way it was for me when I went in there.

I always told people, if you go in there, make sure you give yourselves an extra 10 or 15 minutes, because you want to hear some of those fish stories.

As I reflect back on those stories, I realize for me it was less about the stories themselves, than the man telling them. His enthusiasm and love of fishing shone through every time, even as he approached his 80's.

Here's something I said about him a few years ago. we ran into him on the beach, and he was smoking like a chimney. At his age he wasn't willing to give that up, and besides, doesn't a man who makes it to his 80's deserve a few vices?

"Ernie Wuesthoff came out to make a few casts today, and have a smoke. God I love that guy - he's 82, and still fishes every chance he gets. If you ever go to see him, bring him some Marlboros, can't hurt him at 82 . He is truly an icon of surf fishing."

I had mentioned him in the past, but felt it was time to visit him for an update. I was in touch with his family around New Year's. He agreed to do an interview. I gave them a list of prepared questions to make it easier on him. The last I remember we were going to touch base again sometime in January. Now I see he didn't make it to the end of the month.

I missed my last chance to see him, and I regret it. He was a gentle old soul who lived the rough and tumble life of a sailor, hard living until he finally settled down. But through his whole life, he was a guy who could not be tamed. He lived by the rules of society, but he didn't let that define him.

To anyone reading this, I would say if there is someone in your life you haven't touched base with in a while and you feel bad about it, or have just been too busy, re-consider your perspective, and call or see that person while you still can.

Tomorrow is never a guarantee for any of us. There are so many people all of us know whose lives and smiles could be brightened with just a simple phone call. All it takes is a few minutes.

2 days ago I called a family friend who I haven't talked to for a few months. He's in his 80's too, and still goes skiing. He just came back from a mini-vacation, a ski trip. He doesn't take long vacations because he's still working. His energy seems boundless, but only God knows how long he and others we know will be around.

So make that call, take a 1/2 hour to visit, you may be glad you did.

As for Ernie, I will miss you. I thank you for the stories you told me and all the advice you gave along the way. To me, you were one of the true icons of surf fishing. My deepest condolences to his family. RIP Ernie. See ya on the other side.

RIP my old friend

He always had a kind word and a heart of gold, and lets not forget there were always fish just across the road.

Ernie was the originator of the Sneaky Pete fluke rig used exclusively in the surf.
    One of the most effective bait rigs ever, written about by Milt Rosco in many of his books and how to articles.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Rip

Default A story a day

He seemed like a good guy. I didn't know him as a friend or anything like that, but he had reports about the fish he caught when ever you walked in the place. He was funny too. I didn't realize he was that old. He had a good run. Thoughts and prayers to the family.

Ernie was a fixture in the ocean county surf. He fished almost every day of the season. He would help or give advice to anyone. Sorry to hear the news. Rest in peace.

Great memories of that place. Ernie would talk your ear off. When you asked him for a report, he would say "Yeah, we're catching them every morning!" Decent prices too. RIP.

Rip sir.

This is a terrible loss for us here on earth but an added blessing to the heavens. RIP Ernie.

I can only wish that I had had the chance to meet him
    RIP Ernie
    Thanks DS for sharing so much insight about this man

I try to be as honest as I can without sounding too critical Doublerunner. His stories were a little bit of hype when it came to actual accuracy of the reports. But the guy telling them was the key to the puzzle. He was more skilled than any 10 guys out there, and he knew how to catch. So what if he embellished a little.

He had a kindness and understanding within him, yet he was a grizzled old salt at the same time.

Although he was known for the embellishments in his stories, if ya read between the lines you would learn a lot. He knew tons of details about surf fishing for every species. If there was a special trick or technique, he knew it.

As the years advanced for him, I think a lot of people didn't realize he was in his 80's because of that child-like enthusiasm he brought to every conversation. I saw that he had slowed down a bit, but to me, it was his spirit that made talking with him magic.

He was a tough old buzzard with a heart of gold, and I say that with the utmost in respect.

Miss ya, Ernie.

Default The memorial service

I went tonight. I was glad I did.

I had some guilt over planning to see him in January, and missing out on that because I thought I had more time. I got to meet the rest of his family, a bunch of beautiful people. They were candid enough to let me know he wasn't the same the last few months, and that as Al Ristori mentioned the Alzheimers was beginning to take a toll on him.

I had some nice moments meeting some I hadn't meet already. Al Ristori and Tom Fote showed up, and Al had some great things to say about Ernie.

Because I've been to a lot of funerals, I like to listen to stories and share mine with family members. There was one interesting thing I'd like to share with people who couldn't get down there tonight. Usually, at a funeral, the conversation will get around to the good and bad things about a person. When I say bad, I don't mean that in a negative sense, only in a sense that no one's perfect.

Yet in the conversations I had with different family members, there was not one mention or reference to anything negative about Ernie. I know he had his flaws, we all do. The fact that the only things said about this man were positive, funny, uplifting, and complimentary speaks volumes about who he was as a person.

True, he was an old salt, grizzled, a little rough around the edges. Yet through it all shone his good heartedness, generosity, and warmth of spirit. There were so many stories about him giving things to children for free, and his generous nature where he freely shared his fishing stuff with others, sometimes giving things away on impulse.

In this age of selfishness and "me first", Ernie was one of a kind.

I also know in my heart he was lucky to have himself surrounded by so many loving and supportive people, his wife Charlene, daughters Holly and Jeannie, and all the others.

He was a good man, a kind man, and a warm and hearty soul full of life and a zest for living. It showed in the face and body language of everyone I had a conversation with tonight.

I thank his family for allowing me to share my thoughts. Also for filling in some of the pieces I didn't know about him, and the beautiful tributes they arranged for him - the amazing photo and postcard collages they put together. I'm glad I went.

I'll still miss him, but have to believe he's in good hands now.

Default Ernie's poem

Instead of the usual template cards you get at a funeral, his daughter Holly put together these incredible memorial cards with pictures of him and fish in front of the shop.

On the back was one of his favorite poems by Sam Walter Foss. I'll share it here:

"Let me live in a house by the side of the road
    Where the race of men go by -
    The men who are good and the men who are bad
    As good and as bad as I.
    I would not sit in the scourner's seat
    Nor hurl the cynic's ban -
    Let me live in a house by the side of the road
    And be a friend to man."

I found some video interpretations of that poem:

Also, they asked me to take a few extra remembrance cards for those who couldn't make it to the service. If anyone would like one, PM me and I'll mail it to you.

Default star ledger

They had a nice write-up. RIP Mr Wuesthoff.

http://www.nj.com/shore/blogs/fishin...be_missed.html

Ernie Wuesthoff will be missed by surfcasters

By Bridget Wentworth/The Star-Ledger

January 28, 2010, 7:08PM

Ernie Wuesthoff, owner of The Bait ’n’ Tackle Shop in Normandy Beach, passed away Monday at the age of 84. Wuesthoff became a legend among surf fishermen along the Central Jersey coast after opening the shop in 1962. Everyone immediately knew he was being referred to when anyone asked “How’s Ernie doing?”

Wuesthoff grew up in Union City, and learned to fish along the shores of the Hudson River while earning money by delivering seaworms to tackle shops on his bicycle. A wounded Navy veteran of WW II, he loved to fish his local surf for stripers with a light spinning rod and small plugs before opening the store each morning.

All of those bass were released except for a very occasional keeper retained for his daughter, Holly, who has been running the business along with his wife Charlene (Charlie) during the last few years. Charlie noted that Ernie always ran the shop as if it were his living room, with anglers dropping in all day to share fishing experiences.

Wuesthoff opened Cliffside Rod & Gun in 1946 before moving to the Shore. I met him years later while working as a sales rep for Garcia. We fished for winter flounder and drifted pencil eels in Point Pleasant Canal for stripers from his small boat before subsequently enjoying many hours in his beach buggy. Few anglers could “read the water” like Ernie, who could spot the right bar along a seemingly featureless beach to blind cast for stripers.

Unlike most tackle shop owners who find themselves trapped in their shops when the bite is on, Ernie didn’t hesitate to hang the “Closed” sign on the door when word of a surf blitz came in. In addition to the joy of getting kids started in fishing, Ernie sold seashells from all over the world, and regularly had school groups come in to his shop to learn about them.

Viewing hours are from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. Friday, with a prayer service at 8 p.m. in Weatherhead Young Funeral Home, 885 Mantoloking Road, Brick.

I remember him from years ago. I was in there a few times. He had some nice tales to tell. Thoughts and prayers to the family.

Default Re: Ernie Wuesthoff is gone

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Usually, at a funeral, the conversation will get around to the good and bad things about a person. When I say bad, I don't mean that in a negative sense, only in a sense that no one's perfect.

Yet in the conversations I had with different family members, there was not one mention or reference to anything negative about Ernie. I know he had his flaws, we all do. The fact that the only things said about this man were positive, funny, uplifting, and complimentary speaks volumes about who he was as a person.

True, he was an old salt, grizzled, a little rough around the edges. Yet through it all shone his good heartedness, generosity, and warmth of spirit. There were so many stories about him giving things to children for free, and his generous nature where he freely shared his fishing stuff with others, sometimes giving things away on impulse.

In this age of selfishness and "me first", Ernie was one of a kind.

I also know in my heart he was lucky to have himself surrounded by so many loving and supportive people, his wife Charlene, daughters Holly and Jeannie, and all the others.

He was a good man, a kind man, and a warm and hearty soul full of life and a zest for living. It showed in the face and body language of everyone I had a conversation with tonight.

I thank his family for allowing me to share my thoughts. Also for filling in some of the pieces I didn't know about him, and the beautiful tributes they arranged for him - the amazing photo and postcard collages they put together. I'm glad I went.

I'll still miss him, but have to believe he's in good hands now.

I can't believe yesterday it has been 3 years already that he is gone. Beautiful tribute you did for him here Dark. Others as well. RIP Ernie.

I can't believe it either. rip Ernie.

Here's the sneaky Pete fluke rig Ernie Wuesthoff created and perfected

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Here's the sneaky Pete fluke rig Ernie Wuesthoff created and perfected
    Thanks for posting that finchaser. He always had them for sale in his shop. Every spring used to be a ritual you would go to Ernie's on the way to Island beach. When I asked him about how the fishing was he would always say "Oh they're killing them! We did great this morning" and this would be in early april when he said that. You knew it was fluff but it was still great to hear anyway. Miss you Ernie RIP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast