Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NJ fishing reports for December 2010

Nice numbers of bass showed up in oc this afternoon. Double digits on metal and teasers. All runts, but nice action.

WTG guys. The cold rips through you when it's windy, other times it's not that bad. There are still a lot of small bass around and keepers mixed in. Many guys have packed it in already.The beaches aren't crowded.

The guys in LI are still out there casting away. Is seems they put the Jersey guys to shame sometimes because they don't want to give up. It could also be that their bass season closes on the 15th. And they know it will be a long cold winter before they can get a chance at a bass in April. So enjoy the time you have left, people, catch em up!

Nice going Guys. I'm sure there will be fish here the whole month. Keep at it.

I'm back to work tomorrow. I'll be getting home to late to make any
    attempts during the week. Weather permitting I'll be out next weekend.

Time to start thinking of some winter projects.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    WTG guys. The cold rips through you when it's windy, other times it's not that bad. There are still a lot of small bass around and keepers mixed in. Many guys have packed it in already.The beaches aren't crowded.

The guys in LI are still out there casting away. Is seems they put the Jersey guys to shame sometimes because they don't want to give up. It could also be that their bass season closes on the 15th. And they know it will be a long cold winter before they can get a chance at a bass in April. So enjoy the time you have left, people, catch em up!

Guess your either not fishing or not where the fish are, it been a zoo the last week and a half especially yesterday

OC 4 bass this am to 28" all on metal

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Went out for a boat trip i knew wasn't going to be good....Before though I get two fish around 30"s and lose a third in 15 mins as the sun comes up then 5.5 hours of the coldest miserable trip ever which produced 1 bass around 30", shoulda stayed on land

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    it been a zoo the last week and a half especially yesterday

OC 4 bass this am to 28" all on metal
    I know, some guys catchin good numbers.... I haven't been able to make it down. It just ain't the same fishin without ya, OGB what can I say.
    Congrats to all who are hitting it hard.

Default the munchkins are here

Got a few bass this morning, 6 more before sunset. OC, needles, t-hex and teaser, and small bucktail with white grub curlytail. The biggest was a fat 27", others much smaller.

Went out yesterday down the beach from Sandy Hook. Tried trolling and jigging. Marked some bait and some fish, but it sucked. Nothing for us.

Fished nomoco Sun 3-4:30. There were some birdss working far out, too far to tell what it was. I got one herring on a teaser, the only action I had until I quit at dark.

I gave it a try yesterday for most of the afternoon. The beach was blustery and cold. I used clams and bunker. Nothing but some small fish that kept hitting the clams. Maybe ling? Otherwise I got the skunk. Cape May area.

Fished moco from 5-7am. It's cold out there guys!
    First I used a needlefish, then went to metal. Not a tap.

Hey people, at least you're getting out there. It's gonna be a long cold winter, unless ya's take a road trip to the Chesapeake. Might as well enjoy the days we have left with our few local fish.

Finished work early yesterday and was at the ocean mid way through the ebb. It was tough to get motivated to get in the wind, 25mph steady with gusts to 40. At times it was like a wind tunnel. Stopped a few times before deciding where to start, putting additional clothes on at each stop till I started fishin.

A while ago I marked a lot of good holes. I fished about 15 of them yesterday without a tap. In frustration I waded out on the bar to cover more ground at low tide. I worked the whole area between 2 huge outsucks for an hour on the bar, nothing. Finally walked off when my fingers couldn't take it anymore. The water isn't bad, about 48-50, but getting your fingers wet fishin on the bar turns them into mini-icicles.

Made one more stop in the afternoon, and had fish from 3 to 4:45. It was a slow but steady pick of small bass.

There were sandeels & herring around. They weren't concentrated, though. Gannets were sporadically diving about 1/4 mile out.

The fish were sluggish. The hits I missed were half-hearted, not aggressive. For me, there was no pattern to what they would hit. I couldn't buy a hit on metal, needlefish or small plugs, so I switched to different jigs and bucktails. Small rubber seemed to work best for me at that area, the smallest rubber being used as the teaser.

Managed 3 small bass. I lost some fishin time when the guy down the beach from me hooked into a large gull and I told him I would help him untangle it. I knew Finchaser will probably bust balls about stopping the fishing to save the bird but I felt sorry for the guy and he needed the help.

The ocean, as many have mentioned, is in late fall mode. Sporadic activity dawn, dusk, or neither. There was lots of dead water out there. No real pattern except to know that if you're on the beach in the afternoon, they might show up.

I actually anticipated it being a great fishin day as it was overcast and snowing periodically through the day. It didn't turn out as well as I thought.

Don't know how to explain it except to say I had to be out there, needed to find some fish.
    Maybe some of ya's can understand that.

Fished occo yesterday one hour before sunset. It was cold and freaking windy! I got 1 bass on a 2" small teaser. Like dark said, the activity stopped about 4:45. It was weird, like someone turned the light switch off.

to the bird manyou have down graded from swans to gulls not even stopping at sea birds in between

Why catch fish when you can play with birds

OC 7:00 to 8:30 AM and 3:00 to 4:30 PM 1 small bass lots of herring no other bait or life. I took the water temperature it's down to 44 another 2 degree's or so and the fat lady will sing. The large school of bass that was off Long Island is passing offshore through the mudhole so there's really nothing left north of here.

pretty soon

Time to make my debut on this site...with a skunk flag! Fished south OC and then headed up to Asbury this PM. This is most certainly becoming a lesson of diminishing returns.

Thanks for all the helpful info on this site - looking forward to learning and sharing about these frustrating migratory fish.

Welcome aboard Jason. You will learn alot here. Darkskies will teach you all you need to know about swans and birdwatching. Oh yea and don't forget the rubber lizard West Wind Walley. You will really enjoy this site.

He is truly the bird man

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    to the bird manyou have down graded from swans to gulls not even stopping at sea birds in between
    Why catch fish when you can play with birds
    My goals for 2011... whatever I can do to irritate you, raise your blood pressure....
    OR make ya laugh...it's all part of the plan. I have a high tolerance for embarassment, so look for more bird stories in the future.
    See ya soon, Batman!

Quote Originally Posted by jason View Post
    Time to make my debut on this site...with a skunk flag! Fished south OC and then headed up to Asbury this PM. This is most certainly becoming a lesson of diminishing returns.

Thanks for all the helpful info on this site - looking forward to learning and sharing about these frustrating migratory fish.
    There's no shame in the skunk, Jason. at least ya gave it a shot.
    Not many out there at all, the beaches are finally free from crowds.
    Welcome board!

welcome jason we all get the skunk so just keep your head up spring will be pop up before u know it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast