Thread: NJ Fishing Reports for October 2012.....www.StripersandAnglers.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: NJ Fishing Reports for October 2012.....www.StripersandAnglers.com

fished the hook this morning.rough water 6 onces was just holding bottom.4 bass 2small 2 keepers on clams.also got a drum.i think? pretty fish silver with black horizontal stripes about 6 lbs.

that was a sheeps head. the tackle store told me it was a druml

tonight 5:30 to 7 pm 2 released 2 bass on jig and havoc tail

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Fished tonight 5 to 7 PM released 11 bass to 8# all on jig head and chartreuse Havoc tail water down to 64 today. My partner released 16 tonight. Fish turned off as soon as it got dark for the second day in a row.
    Fin, you are on fire. I hope to my numbers increase

As to sand eels don't want to be the bearer of bad news but there are none even the mud hole is void of them the big blues are feeding on squid and smelts and butter fish. this comes from my charter boat friend who is well informed by lobster man
    I'm not really crazy about the sandeels. I hate fishing Avas. I just don't want the bass to pass us by.

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    3 bass to 29", bucktails, moco. Surf is still bad but the strong west wind should knock it down tomorrow.
    Nice going Bucket. Are you using anything with the Bucktail? I was throwing Bucktails Yesterday with Pink Fins with no luck using the bucktails.

Quote Originally Posted by chas527 View Post
    fished the hook this morning.rough water 6 onces was just holding bottom.4 bass 2small 2 keepers on clams.also got a drum.i think? pretty fish silver with black horizontal stripes about 6 lbs.
    Chas. Never seen a Sheepshead caught around here. They must of been common at one time. I guess they named Sheepshead bay after them. Nice going.

Last night I fished from 6pm to 8:30pm I got 1 bass just shy of being a keeper. The bass was caught on a X-Rap. I wasn't prepared, the rod almost came out of my hands on the hit. The bait seem to have moved.

fished the hook this morning.nothing but skates.did see birds working early with big fish under them but they were to far out . about the sheephead it tasted real good all white meat. the guy in atlantic tackle said it was a drum.but the fish i caught i went on line and it look just like a sheephead. same color same stripes same fins on top an bottom.just wish i would have taken a picture.

Fished out front this morning 3:30-10:30. Ocean had calmed down and looked great. Water was pretty dirty. I worked a lot of beach, lots of walking and ended up with the skunk. Had a hit early on a 10" Hogy and missed (normal start for me). Found some small bait and a few small swirls but no hook ups, then around 7:00 found a big area with fish slamming through bait mostly 200-500 yards off the beach. There was activity as close as 30 yards (semi consistent), but most was out there. I hooked up in close (5 yards out)for 5 seconds on a PoJee, rod bent then nothing, had one other hit on a long cast, PoJee again. Had this in front of me for at least two hours and could not land a fish. Not sure what was out there, whatever I had on for that short period was not a snapper. Threw all sorts of metal at different retrieves Ava 007 green tail, Hopkins shorty, PoJee 1 1/2 and 3 oz, Deadly Richard, Kastmaster 3/4, 1 and 1 1/2 oz. , 3 oz crocodile spoon, 2 oz and 3 oz Crippled Herring...also threw a couple spooks and a 2 sizes of pencils (very small and 2 oz), small needle, and SP and DSM Minnows, a small white mullet metal lip, white bucktail (1/2 oz), chartreuse 10" Hogy..... white tube teasers, yellow feathered teasers, white feathered teasers, chartreuse feathered teasers..no teasers......4 foot of 30 lb fluorocarbon without clips (tied direct)......I was amazed I could not catch a fish......
    Had a great time out there, except for the murky water, conditions were beautiful, was all alone, just me and lots of fish that I could not catch.....
    Had a streak of 5 outings in a row with at least one Striper, going into this trip I was thinking today's conditions were the most favorable out of all of the last five days I have fished. Had a good idea where all that bait would be as well as other spots where I had a good shot at a fish. Was very confident when I hit the water, more than the other times. I sent Rip-Plugger an e-mail with my plan, how confident I was....also I included in the e-mail "I'm all set up for the skunk", Yup, and a huge one it was .

Also there was a nice sunrise

White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by vpass View Post
    Nice going Fin.

Got out last night fished from 6 to 10pm got 2 short bass and 2 nice keeper size fluke better then 19 inches maybe 21 inches. The fluke took the SP Minnow, and the Bass were on Strorm shad. Lots of bait where I was and seen lots of swirls. Anyone seen any sandeels yet?
    Congrats on the catching, have not seen any sand eels....yet

Fished tonight 5 to 7 PM released 11 bass to 8# all on jig head and chartreuse Havoc tail water down to 64 today. My partner released 16 tonight. Fish turned off as soon as it got dark for the second day in a row.
    Quote Originally Posted by chas527 View Post
    Congrats on the catching guys
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Fished nomoco tonight for me.
    I haven't seen any sand eels either. sure would like to though. fin and chas congrats on the catches. Have never heard of anyone catching a sheepshead from the beach this far north. way to go!

Sheeps head at the hook, what a wild catch. Nice going Chas. did you eat it? what did it taste like? I have been fishing the back with bait. Waiting for the bigger stripers. A few smaller runts on bait. Lots of insteresting other fish too, like small grunts, spot, and a few lost baby drum.Crazy year.

Most unusual catch of the fall thats for sure. Good job chas527.

3 bass to 29", bucktails, moco. Surf is still bad but the strong west wind should knock it down tomorrow.

As to sand eels don't want to be the bearer of bad news but there are none even the mud hole is void of them the big blues are feeding on squid and sardines and butter fish. This comes from my charter boat friend who is well informed by lobster men and other captains.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again