This has special meaning because Fin and I were talking about it the other day.

There is a guy we are friends with who is down on his luck and has lost his job.
Instead of finding a new job, he has been compulsive about his fishing.
OGB mentioned he has been going to bed at 7pm so he can get up to fish the night tides and put himself in a position to catch the few bass that are around now.

As Fin was talking about our mutual friend., I was thinking about my life and that of some of my friends.
Some of the pics you have seen in the reports were of nice early spring fish. The guys who caught them did not luck into those fish. They fished a whole tide or more to get them. Or figured out what the pattern was, often involving late night tides.

Even when you figure a pattern, in the past it was easier to catch numbers.
I don't know about everyone else, but today it has become more difficult for me to find bigger fish from land. That's why you see all the threads here on conservation and the state of the striped bass biomass.

That also probably has a lot to do with the booming interest in kayaking, so you can put yourself in the center of a body of bass and make it easier on yourself.

Things have gotten so difficult for me to find bass (from land), that I rarely bother fishing the daytime any more.