Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Fishing Thread.....

Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post
    Wow! Player hater don't you think thats a little harsh? We have not had much chances to catch bass in January, so why be a hater, finchaser (hey that rhymes!)
    I'm not a hater or harsh at all, if I didn't just have a knee replacement I'd be out there the point is not all night it accomplishes nothing this time of year.I don't want to see him get hurt the morning after that episode he didn't know what day it was .A week ago he was so sleepy he took a nap on the jetty cause he was nauseous and shaking. Except for last 2 years there have been fish in January for the past 10 as it was a ritual for me every New Years day morning to get my first bass of the year.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Gee you sound like his Dad, finchaser. I mean, he's an adult and whatnot, so why worry about him? btw, got 2 bass before sunset tonight, rubber was the ticket, thanks dark! Hope you are out there catching them up!

No i'm not his father but i gave his other half my word. Also the old school group I fish with,we always watched out for each other and still do.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    A week ago he was so sleepy he took a nap on the jetty cause he was nauseous and shaking.
    Not good.

2 shorts for me last night between 7-9pm lost another bomber thanks to some guy who snagged my line 3x good thing i have an ample supply now

thanks again fin for the great deal on the plugs and all your advice. greatly appreciated

Way to go extreme^^^^^

Also give up with the pictures your sending these poor little fish into shock while you play Walt Disney. It would be a scary thought but it would be like me pulling you out of your house naked throwing you on a frozen rocks, having you lie there as I took off gloves and fiddle around to get my out camera to take your picture. We all know what a short bass looks like. Want to impress people and prove your theory of being our all night on your quest for a big fish. Catch one take a picture for proof put it in your black bag and take it home to eat. There now thats GROUCHY.
    Brutal, just brutal!

Posting pics of small fish...

Fin, you know I never post pics of small babies like that, except for this thread...but others may not know.,...so with your grouchiness rising to extreme levels... (do ya really want to see pics of me laying on the rocks naked?... ),,,others may not know, and pass judgement unfairly....

While no explanation is required, I'll post mine anyway.....
    A few long-standing site members can't fish lately as they have other obligations....understood. Some of them came to me and suggested I start posting pics of these Winter bass trips, and share with the members here....

**I want people to know that I have taken great pains to "hide" this thread from most of the internet lurkers out there...if I was just concerned with using this thread and the pics to promote the site there would be thousands more than the 3000 views this thread has already amassed....In fact, we hid this thread so well that some of our own members weren't aware of it....and I recently addressed that by posting a link to it on the NJ fishing forums.....

So, with all due respect ya grouchy basstid, these pics are for the members, the guys who can't get out there right now and are living vicariously through these reports...not me....I don't need pics of small fish...there are enough pics here of me releasing 20 and 25# fish, and of you as well, that my ego doesn't need to be stroked...
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...release-thread

And to those newer members who are sharing their pics with us for the first time, please don't take my comments here personally....you can feel free to post pics of ANY fish at ANY time without criticism....I understand how excited folks get when they start catching bass on artificials....and part of that is recording the catch...so please continue to share, and enjoy.... even if you are catching small fish....

Remember, please, not to keep the fish out of the water too long when you are taking those pics, though, as that will increase the mortality...and if you care about the resource, you want to do your best to have a low mortality rate on the fish that you DO release, even bluefish...etc....

Here are some threads that talk about time out of the water and mortality...some good opinions here...feel free to browse or add to them as you wish...

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ong+fish+water

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ong+fish+water

Thanks for reading, folks!

I don't want to see him get hurt the morning after that episode he didn't know what day it was .A week ago he was so sleepy he took a nap on the jetty cause he was nauseous and shaking..
    OGB ya gotta learn to get the story straight, now you're losing your mind too! (along with me!)
    I told ya I was tired that night and was so shot I was leaning against a rock while I was casting,.,,,the truth, and because of that, I eventually packed it up and went home...you and the guys in the Stevens Surfsters used to do that all the time....and just maybe the first marriage crashed partly because of it...and you're yelling at me that I fish too much?...when you guys were out for days on end, fishin?

Quote Originally Posted by mick2360 View Post
    Brutal, just brutal!
    What can I say, Mick, he is who he is.....I wouldn't trade it for any other way....I've grown accustomed to his daily barking.... And it wouldn't be the same if he didn't yell at me for something at least once a day....

No i'm not his father but i gave his other half my word. Also the old school group I fish with,we always watched out for each other and still do.
    Cmon guys, you all sound like a bunch of old washerwomen here....you too Jon!
    When fishing Montauk, guys take risks like this all the time,,,and when skishing there,. or wetsuiting the rocks at Orient Pt....all involve a lot more risk than what I'm doing here....so Man up and enough with the blubbering!

Seriously, though, I appreciate your concern....ALL of ya's ...
    I know ya's wouldn't say those things if ya didn't care...and thanks... from the bottom of my heart.....every man should be so lucky as to have characters like you people in his life.....

Now back to the regularly scheduled program...there is no whining in fishing!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    ... you all sound like a bunch of old washerwomen here....you too Jon!
    mmm hmmmmm

I know ya's wouldn't say those things if ya didn't care...
    yer makin an awful big assumption there, aintcha?

...there is no whining in fishing!
    rofl

ya got me there

Glad you ^^^^caught fish.You make fun at us old timers most of which can put up the numbers fishing patterns in a matter of hours. Learn to fish smart not long. Guy's as in my friends are still catching more from 3:30 to 6:30 and eating a hot meal, showering and sleeping in a warm bed.
    Sorry there OGB...that 3:30-6:30 window ain't for me,.....as I've said repetitively here....one of the biggest things that draws me out there in the middle of the night is the solitude....I don't know how to explain it any other way....

That showering thing...that's a bit over-rated...not taking a shower for a day or so gives me plenty of room from others out there...as for hot meals, a bagel with cream cheese or peanut butter is good enough....

As for making fun of you old-timers?????
    Ya wanna show me where you get that perspective from reading the posts below?

The point of this thread is to honor these old geezers, who have helped many along the way, and continue to set the standard of professionalism, etiquette, and old-fashioned respect, that many of today's younger anglers seem to lack....

As for fishing ability, these guys have it in spades.....

I'll put Finchaser, and the 4 current members of the OLD FARTS FISHIN CLUB against any 5 anglers out there, half their ages, and these old weathered geezers will dominate the competition and out-fish all comers....

And the coolest thing about it....is they will do it with class and honor, while honoring the time-worn standards of surfcasting, which is how things used to be....and handed down to them by the generations who came before....

Just a quick note about the OGB...what he's forgotten about fishing the salt, most guys would kill to know.....he is a frustrating Grouch at times....the name Gloom and Doom fits him well.....as he is one of the most pessimistic people I know....if ya want to hear about the worst in fishing, talk to OGB and by the time you're done you want to put your head in the oven....

Conversely, Fin is also one of the most generous, candid, (no diplomacy here), passionate, conservation-minded and honest fishermen and sportsmen out there.

I don't know if I've given him enough credit in some of the threads I put forth here, although Lord knows I try.....

So today we're giving him a whole bunch of credit, for all he does...and all his ranting and raving.....95% based on facts....

Just got word that the OGB did a good thing today..and took a new guy under his wing and gave him some pointers.....maybe someone can come up a cheer describing the old grouch....maybe I'll send the plug to the best one....ya's got till tomorrow...
    Those came from the thread below...
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ARDS-out-there..

nothing for me last night 7-9pm. tried a few things and not a bite! few other guys fishing near me got the to

A little late, but thought I would throw this one in (and yay for my first post). Fished Sat am (2/4) from 545am to 10am. Still learning my way around MoCo and trip was a lot of just that. ***. Threw everything I have in the bag with no takers. Like I said - still very much learning the ropes up here. Coming from Maryland, the land of conventional reels and bait dunking, this pluggin' thing is taking some time. Still really enjoyable and how can you complain about a 45* day in Feb where you have a legit shot at a fish?

While out there early, I got to thinking. With the nature of trips this time of year being what they are, cold water and even colder air temps, slick rocks and often being out there solo, I was wondering if anyone out there is wearing helmets in the dark conditions. I am perfectly ok wearing my inflatable PFD under my shell, but is a helmet taking it too far? They are cheap ($50 for a good one on sale), offer insulation and can save a life. Does anyone here have a perspective they want to share?
    Last edited by DarkSkies; 02-07-2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Sorry Matt, MoCo is specific enough...our access is restricted every year...thanks for understanding and welcome aboard!

Got skunked last night as well, don't feel bad xtreme that's why they call it fishing not catching.
    mbo1971 welcome to the site. I never wore a helmet but have seen quite a few people fall out there. I might feel goofy wearing one, otherwise I think it's a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by mbo1971 View Post
    but is a helmet taking it too far? They are cheap ($50 for a good one on sale), offer insulation and can save a life. Does anyone here have a perspective they want to share?
    Jettys aren't for me, I don't do them but I guess helmets would be a great idea for lots of guys out there based on reading all the wacky stories. Also if you are going to be out there at night a pillow may also be very handy (read here that some one took a little nap one night recently on a jetty). Mind as well be comfy.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

welcome to the site! great group of guys on here if u think u need to wear a helmet then maybe u need to stay on flat land

Well I fished last night in moco and got the skunk! I saw quite a few guys out and only one small fish caught. I tryed bombers and that daiwa plug that everyone was talking about and nothing for me. I fished from 5 to 7pm. It looked like the incomming tide. The water was very calm, maybe too calm? Dark Skies are you still fishing? I was hoping to read a report from you saying you are still catching. Good luck if you are.Welcome to the site mbo1971!

I fished 4-6:30 yesterday in MoCo as well. Nothing for me. I think the water was too mellow, hardly any waves crashing at all. It also seemed very cold. Maybe the fat lady is tuning up. Welcome aboard MBO.

welcome to the site and tite lines to u

Quote Originally Posted by porgy75 View Post
    : The water was very calm, maybe too calm? Dark Skies are you still fishing? I was hoping to read a report from you saying you are still catching. Good luck if you are.
    We haven't done well this winter when the water is as calm as you described...when the white water is in town, enough to make Monty drool...is a good time to be out there...but please be careful as the water is now 42 degrees....

Porgy, Finchaser's rants against the small fish I'm catchin have had an effect on me.
    I've packed it in for the year, am thinking of selling everything and moving to South America to do missionary work...look for a huge fire sale on slightly used tackle in the future....

**MBO, a warm welcome!
    For those who don't know him, I met Matt one night in the Spring when a few of us were running around between Ocean and Monmouth counties...he's originally from Md, (now in NJ) is seemingly a good guy, and is pretty proficient at casting conventionals long distances on the flat Md beaches when the fish are there....

hoping maybe he can share some of those stories and possible tips and techniqes he uses with us.....Hope your seasons in NJ are productive, MBO, and welcome aboard!

As for the helmet thing. I know a lot of guys think it might look gay, or stupid..I can definitely relate to not wanting to look stupid out there...but if ya know me you should know that with the stories circulating about my stinkin waders and sleeping in my car to get "two bites out of one trip"...

It doesn't really bother me what people think of me...(other than the close friends I have, and Pebbles),,,,I have always marched to the beat of a different drummer, and sometimes it seems I'm the only one who's hearing the music...so I encourage all opinions here, don't hold back.,...but I also think it's time for a thread where we discuss this further...feel free to jump in and again, honesty is important here.....if you don't agree, that's a valid point and deserves to be heard...but please tell us why, as well....thanks for reading, folks!

Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast