Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: NJ Fishing Reports for July 2014.....www.StripersAndAnglers.com

What happened to NJ in the summer. Does everyone only fish for fluke and stop fishing for other species? I was searching the internet forums trying to get a feel for what is being caught from the shore now. I am coming down to Beach Haven with my wife to visit the in-laws next week. I did a quick search to see what some catches were. Some of what I found -
    Stripers are a Waste of time. Don't even bother. You may see some small bluefish but no stripers this time of year. They are here in April/May.
    We're in the summer doldrums the big gators are north and all that's left is chicken blues max 3 lbs. Come september the bigguns should be appearing again.
    These seemed to be from fishermen who sound like they know what they are doing. I have read the last few pages of this thread and see that you folks are still catching stripers, bigger blues, and croakers. Are you all fishing different water or is the Jersey Coast markedly different than I remember when I used to live there? I am not looking for spots. Just trying to figure out how you are still catching fish other than fluke and others are not. Trying to get a sense of what I might expect to catch fishing the beaches and bulkheads of Long Beach Island at night. If you don't want to answer here that is all right you can e-mail or pm me. Thank you kindly.

^^^^ I don't know who said what you quoted but they are clueless idiots. In NJ a lot of people don't go fishing until the internet or facebook reports tell them. They dont want to work for it. There are weakfish being caught too if you know structure and sod banks. You can get them in the lbi area with rubber and jigs at night. Nothing big mostly spikes. You won't read it on the internet because weakfish take some effort to catch as well as night stripers on artificials. I sent you an e-mail, hope it helps. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    They dont want to work for it.
    Come on now that is the biggest part of the bragging rights.
    "We were on the water by sunrise and back at the barn by 9am with a full limit." The best advertisement for skill is to say you caught a lot of fish without really trying. Working for them says you are a goog or don't know how to catch. I have caught a few big fish this year have had to work almost all night to get them. Had to take the kayak out near some of the islands and paddle all over the place. by that definition I must be a goog as well. What happened to the values of yesterday where hard work and a reward for it were prized attributes for fishing? Where did our society go wrong by turning the concept of fishing into something like running through a McDonalds drive in. Get in, get out, get home in time to watch the game.
    Fishing is the coolest game out there because things are always changing. Guess some folks don't believe that any more.

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    Come on now that is the biggest part of the bragging rights.
    "We were on the water by sunrise and back at the barn by 9am with a full limit." The best advertisement for skill is to say you caught a lot of fish without really trying. Working for them says you are a goog or don't know how to catch. I have caught a few big fish this year have had to work almost all night to get them. Had to take the kayak out near some of the islands and paddle all over the place. by that definition I must be a goog as well. What happened to the values of yesterday where hard work and a reward for it were prized attributes for fishing? Where did our society go wrong by turning the concept of fishing into something like running through a McDonalds drive in. Get in, get out, get home in time to watch the game.
    Fishing is the coolest game out there because things are always changing. Guess some folks don't believe that any more.
    I agree dogfish...what's the point of limiting out on 3lb fluke so you can get back to the dock early. That's just filling the freezer with expensive filets. Anyone who loves to fish would never want to head back to the dock early.

Charlie there are some good choices when you go to LBI. Fluke in the surf. Brown sharks at night. A few bass and weakfish here and there from the back side. Forwarded some suggestions to you. Scout at low tide and you should get some fish. Don't let the internet get to you. There are a lot of quasi-know-it-alls out there. Without the internet they would have no validation. Good luck and wishing you the best weather and times on your trip to NJ.
    I fished the last 3 mornings in moco. One hour each time. The water has gotten colder again. Managed 2 fluke on gulp yesterday. Nothing tuesday or today.

A few people here PM'ed me and asked me if I quit fishing as they did not see any fishing reports from me lately.
    Charlie you have mail.

Some of ya's have gotten reports from me, especially if I know you will be out there at night. There are only a few of us who are still fishing for bass. As I said the bass are few and far between, with the most consistent action coming from bluefish at night. To me, these 2 species are still worth fishing for.....and in sizes that keep my interest.......

I try to get out there a few nights a week, and more if the activity warrants it. My June and July reports are grouped up, 2 weeks at a time, in the surf fishing night tides thread. Some folks scan only the fishing reports on some sites. Sometimes it pays to look beyond that to get a sense of what and how, others who are catching, are doing it.... .

Tremendous amount of bait now in the back bays.......
    Best of luck to everyone....

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567