Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ Fishing Reports for May 2014.....www.StripersAndAnglers.com

finchaser nice job. I fished moco last night and got into some good blue action. A dozen to 14lbs. skinny and long up to 35". Mostly on Crocs and small metal. Also dropped what was probably a mid teener bass on a gibbs popper. Nice to see them hit topwater.

Well first and foremast- my report- 3 skates and 1 spiny dogfish.

Now the long part- I had been promising my fishing Mate 2 years to take the yaks out. Well since I got my new Jackson and really enjoy fishing from it, I obliged his request to head out front yesterday.

We got to the surf just about high tide. The waves looked pretty big and the fog was ungodly. I was scared to death I have to admit! I have a fish finder that has a chartplotter. I also took along a handheld GPS unit as well just as a back up. We launched in the surf. My Mate flipped heading out but I was fortunate enough to make my way through the breakers without incident.

Once we were out there it was pretty rough but we went out to 26' deep water and were marking fish so we dropped anchor and fished with clam. I was on edge the whole time. I could not see land at all. I could hear the waves crashing on the surf.

Every time we anchored I would make a way point just to be able to check that we were not drifting with the anchors. That went well.

Mike yells out "DOLPHIN" I look around and I see it. It is about 50 feet from us. On one surface breach I heard him blow air out of his hole. I am thinking to myself. Hmmm, just one dolphin.... then about 2 minutes later 3 huge dolphin jump straight out of the water about 100 feet away. It was awesome and frightening at the same time. They were obviously corralling bait so I was worried that they may not see us (more particularly me) and breach ontop of me or quite close- especially while on anchor.

Yeah I know I am a big chicken- I have major respect for the sea and the extremely deadly creatures that inhabit it. To me- sitting on a kayak on the ocean fishing is much like sitting on the ground in the Serengeti hunting.

So after 3 hours we head back in. Once thing we immediately notice is that the waves are quite larger now. So I prayed for help! I was in 10' of water and these huge waves were breaking right in front of me. I was worried about flipping over in anything other than 2-3 feet deep. I saw the large wave break in front of me , so as soon as it broke I paddled hard to get in before the next wave. Well the next wave came up and pushed me forward a little bit ....ok, I'm good...keep paddling.....another wave broke in front and now I was in 3 foot of water....I start paddling hard but the out flow of the wave is dragging me backwards and the next wave starts to push me forward. I hesitated to see which way my bow was going to turn so I could counter steer. The boat starts to go right, I should have stabbed my paddle on the left but I ended up putting it on the right which helped turn me. Mistake #1 and then I allowed the wave to flip me over. Mistake #2 I should have leaned into the wave and it would have pushed me in.
    So I am flipped over in the wave in about 3 feet of water. I get up and try to turn my kayak over and another wave crashes on me. I get up again and with a great burst of energy I flip the kayak over in one swoop and then a wave grabs it again and takes it close to the beach and then tries to suck it out again in the outflow. I grab it and hurriedly pull it to dry land.
    The amazing part is I lost nothing!. not even my bag of clams that in-between my seat and the yakattack black pak crate.

What a sigh of relief to have made it in. It could have gone horribly worse. Of all the days to follow through with a promise, yesterday should not have been one of them. IF I did not have the chart plotter it would have been impossible to make it back to the exact location we launched from.

well, there is my longwinded fishing report!

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post

The boat starts to go right, I should have stabbed my paddle on the left but I ended up putting it on the right which helped turn me. Mistake #1 and then I allowed the wave to flip me over. Mistake #2 I should have leaned into the wave and it would have pushed me in.
    So I am flipped over in the wave in about 3 feet of water. I get up and try to turn my kayak over and another wave crashes on me. I get up again and with a great burst of energy I flip the kayak over in one swoop and then a wave grabs it again and takes it close to the beach and then tries to suck it out again in the outflow. I grab it and hurriedly pull it to dry land.
    The amazing part is I lost nothing!. not even my bag of clams that in-between my seat and the yakattack black pak crate.

What a sigh of relief to have made it in. It could have gone horribly worse. Of all the days to follow through with a promise, yesterday should not have been one of them. IF I did not have the chart plotter it would have been impossible to make it back to the exact location we launched from.

well, there is my longwinded fishing report!
    I see that you were aware of your mistakes so I won't be too hard on ya. Everyone dunks sooner or later. Yours could have been more damaging. Glad you had peace of mind to keep it together and make it back. Chartplotter was very smart. Too many yaks get lost in the fog. I remember last year the coast guard had to rescue one or two of them off ocean county. Another tip try to tether yourself to the yak so if you get separated you can get back on.
    That was still a great report even though you didn't catch much. The adventure comes through in your words. Thanks for posting it.

Awesome report rob! Felt like I was there. Thank you for sharing.

Rob that was a fantastic report. You caught a few, almost crapped in your pants (i would have if that was me!) and made it home to fish another day. That was awsome reading about the dolphins. I think their higher intelligence keeps them away from kayaks and plugs and bait that we throw. Not sure though.
    I wouild have been nervous if they came that close to me in the fog as well. Thanks for sharing.
    My report- fished ocean county this morning, near island beach. It was foggy and dreary. Got one short bass on a teaser. Looking for the blues I heard about but could find none. Not too many fishermen out there in the fog.

Quote Originally Posted by basshunter View Post
    Not too many fishermen out there in the fog.
    LOL thanks guys! You know whats funny is that the guys that were surf fishing where we came in at were amazed to see 2 kayak emerge from the fog. One guy comes over and tells us were are some crazy sob's and I say to him in a british accent- "This isn't englad is it?" LOL!

"This isn't englad is it?" LOL!
    Love that response. Way to bust balls. Glad you were safe out there. Another guy almost didn't make it. I think he was kayaking up in the raritan bay. Be careful and thanks for the report.

Was test swimming the new Seahunt plug from Japan this morning. I was in the back mind you I was not fishing and caught a 7# blue and 24" bass in like 6 casts.

Great plug and at 133mm and 29g it can out cast an SP minnow hopefully they will be out soon.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Nice work finchaser. Good report rob glad you are safe. Smart man to have a chartplotter. At minimum the kayakers should have that or GPS in the fog.

Yep blues are definitely here. Hit the front in moco this morning. It was foggy and the water was a little discolored. Shifting around to a SW wind. Went with chartreuse grub instead of the usual white one. Slow retrieve, outgoing tide produced 2 small bass and 2 blues. I'll be switching over to pork rind with the little choppers around.

Blues are here got into some good bites in the bay last night. 5-7:30pm. They hit poppers and kastmasters. Lots of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Was test swimming the new Seahunt plug from Japan this morning. I was in the back mind you I was not fishing and caught a 7# blue and 24" bass in like 6 casts.

Great plug and at 133mm and 29g it can out cast an SP minnow hopefully they will be out soon.

Thanks for the review any pics of the seahunt?

blues -nice! Thanks for the report.

No more blues cuz the blues are here. Just what I was waiting for thanks for the reports guys.

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    Thanks for the review any pics of the seahunt?
    I'll take one and post it

We all caught blues this AM pretty much steady for 2 hours

Fished bayside this morning 1:30 - 9:00
    Beautiful night to be out, action was ultra slow for me.
    Managed my first Blue of the year, a little over 20 inches on an SP Minnow around 4:30 but that was it. A few hits and misses around that time.
    Had a great time out there, shoulder slowly getting back in shape, good progress today
    Also saw that raccoon again.....
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

^^^^^Glad to hear the shoulder is doing good Monty!

For Cowherder

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Also saw that raccoon again.....
    You are sucking wind with the dead things dude! Has to be dead for it to count bring a bb gun next time lol.
    Actually I'm feeling a little bad I'm having trouble finding dead things too I fished today and couldn't find anything but clams that another fisherman left on the beach. Hope I can locate something soon or you will leave me in the dust monty.
    I found some fish today solid blues but no bass. Fished moco from 6-9. There was a large amount of bunker moving down the beach. Got one blue on a bucktail but decided to snag and chunk looking for some bass. Nada on the bass. The chunks provided steady action though. Stopped counting after 15 blues. They were nice size all from 20-29". I hope in another few days they will hit poppers in the ocean and maybe some bass with them. I love me some downtown bluuuuuuuues!

finchaser that is a sweet looking plug how much are they going for and when and where will they be available?

Should be $15.00 I'll get back to as when more are available

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast