Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ Fishing Reports for Oct 2011 www.stripersandanglers.com

Fished 71 hours, ate 3 day old sandwiches, slept an hour or so on the hood of my truck, released a short and kissed a swan oh! wait thats Dark not me

Fished this AM from 7 to 9 am had 3 shorts to 26" on buck tail moon tide and wind caused a really fast current. Out front was too gnarly to fish

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffT View Post
    Once I found the school of fish it was an active night for me, not so much for those around me. I love catching fish when everyone else around me isn't.
    I managed 18 bass in three hours. Smallest 24". Two biggest went 22 and 24 pounds. Big bombers, sluggos on a jighead and mega-shad were the tickets. I have a feeling they were onto big sandeels. The best part is there wasn't another soul besides me. :thumbsup:
    First time out this season and broke my cherry last night. . It looked like most, if not all, pluggers struck out but I did manage to coax a couple of 15 pounders to take the white XRap after throwing everything else in the bag with not even a tap.
    Hey I checked up on this guys posts and he is so full of himself the pile of horseshit around him must be 10 feet high. It seems like he delights in catching fish when everyone else isn't. That must make him better than all of us peons. Self righteous dudes like this make me sick.
    Don't feed the troll, guys. He's better than we all are, but it's no good to him unless he tells everyone about it too.

And darkskies thanks for all you do. At least you are honest when you catch and when you don't catch. No one catches all of the time, except maybe this guy. I like your reports just fine, stinky waders and all. In fact it is one of the things I look forward to at the end of the day. To see what crazy stuff you guys will come up with next. Keep up the good work. If you ever get out to LI I would be honored to fish with you.

Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedbass View Post
    Don't feed the troll, guys. He's better than we all are, but it's no good to him unless he tells everyone about it too.
    Commonly called small penis syndrome, where a guy with not much going for him, and a small penis, has to tell the world how great he really is. fwiw I don't know if this is true about the OP, but it is a well-known internet concept.

Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedbass View Post
    I like your reports just fine, stinky waders and all..
    Dark and the stinky waders, it's as American as apple pie and baseball. You can't mess with the stink, or you will choke on it!
    Nice catching finchaser. I don't think anyone did much fishing today, did you get a chance to see how big the waves were in the ocean?

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    You can't mess with the stink, or you will choke on it!
    Don't mess with the Zohan.Dark would you ever consider cutting hair for a living?

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    Dark and the stinky waders, it's as American as apple pie and baseball. You can't mess with the stink, or you will choke on it!
    Nice catching finchaser. I don't think anyone did much fishing today, did you get a chance to see how big the waves were in the ocean?
    Ocean,river and canal all are like chocolate milk big rollers and rough surf ,some places had no beach at high tide. Talked to a guy coming off the beach who said you needed 8 to 10 to hold .
    I fished inside ( )water was bad very dirty and full of weed no bait completly viod of life. what a differnce a day makes. waves where there is no bar very large 6 to 8 foot or more. Some waves broke over the top of the north jetty at inlet into the river. Gonna take a good 3 to 4 days to clean up after front comes through tomorrow night and runoff passes.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Default Fishing in the rain, back bay adventures, some migrating fish.....

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Fished 71 hours, ate 3 day old sandwiches, slept an hour or so on the hood of my truck, released a short and kissed a swan oh! wait thats Dark not me
    Too funny ya old grouch!

When Fin gets the after fishing the pots of gold he fishes in....you know it's bad out there.

Dogfish thank you for your career suggestions. My response would be...

Guys, please realize that Geoff was busting balls, no big deal. If you have any issues with someone here please take it back channel. There are less than 60 days of opportunity to catch fish here in NJ before we're into the last of the run, the baby schoolies that I feel guilty catching. I just don't have the time to moderate petty grievances here, it takes away from fishin time.... So I thank you in advance for your cooperation and treating everyone with respect, as you would want to be treated...

Fished last night, the whole night again, managed some "small" fish 16 and 25#.

When I left the house, Pebbles told me I was crazy, how the heck could I fish in all that rain? As I was driving on the Parkway, getting pelted with sheets of rain, I almost turned back...what person in their right mind would want to go out in that?

Those of you who know me, know that hope springs eternal when I'm out there, I just don't know when to give up...I'm famous for looking at 25 mph winds and saying..."Yeah that wind is gonna lay down, I just KNOW it!!!"

Also, my log said it was a good time to be out there. Last year around Oct 6 I started catching fish in the 20's and this trip was long overdue.

Some friends have been catching big blues in the back bays. Bunker have been seeking shelter at night and the blues have been hammering them. I set out to find some of that action, and was pleasantly surprised, no bluefish, all bass action.

At first it took awhile to figure it out. The wind and rain were intense but not unbearable. Even though it is a noreast pattern, there was some inconsistency. For example, the rain wasn't that heavy constant rain, but waves with some sheets of blinding rain, mostly small drizzle patterns. The winds, at times 25mph, were not sustained. I had to time the casts with the decreasing wind gusts to get out there. It was a very inefficient way of fishing. The gusts screwed up your casts and made it difficult to maintain contact wth your offering. Frustrating at best, but at least it wasn't cold!

The worst part of it was not being able to see. Those who know me know I wear glasses. After awhile it became too tiresome to just keep wiping them off, so I fished with the rain on them, clouding my vision.

Despite all the obstacles, the fish were there....
    I could hear them in the dark but I couldn't see them. not much lights where I was and there was no moon visible at all. Every once in awhile, above the sound of the whitecaps, you would hear a fish break as it got harassed.

It was difficult because the fish were scattered. Being that there was bait around (bunker or big mullet), I started with a rubber shad. The water was dirty and murky, but there was none of the debris usually associated with the noreast pattern. Shad, and the vibrating tails, are a good presentation in dirtier water because the vibrations help the fish find them...

Within 5 minutes I got whacked, so I was pumped. Many trips for me this year have resulted in hours of casting, for maybe one fish or 2 interspersed in those hours of casting. This was positive. Yet, another half hour of casting the rubber and nothing....

Switched to many other presentations that would swim down from the surface in that dirty water, as none of the surface presentations got attention. Was really hoping for some action on some of Surfstix's or Speedy's plugs, but it was not to be.

Finally I chose a darter because of the erratic action and the vibrations, theorizing that the extra vibration in the muddy water would allow the fish to key in on it. Within 5 minutes I got banged, missed the fish.

Slowed down the presentation, and about 1/2 hour after got a nice fish, 40" and about 25#. Fat healthy ocean fish, light colored and clean. About an hour later I landed a 35" bass, about 16#, also fat and light colored.
    When I landed the first fish it was hooked in the eye and I blinded it getting the hook out. Felt real bad about that.

The 2nd fish was also hooked in the head and the gill plate. This made me realize that the fish could not see the bait where I was and were using their lateral lines to find it. The darter was the best choice because of the vibration, but they even had trouble finding that in the rough water.

Just to be clear...
    I can't say it was fantastic action...with the dirty water, it was a fish or hit about every half hour...I missed quite a few in that murkiness. As the tide dropped the action diminished. I fished it through the slack, and then part of the flood, in hopes it would turn around again. No such luck.

I can't say it was epic....
    But it was a chance to get some quality fish. I've been putting in lots of time with not much to show for it but small fish. At least these were of a nicer class, and migratory clean ocean fish. All fish released.

I CAN say that I had a blast!
    With all the inconsistency in NJ surf fishing lately, many guys have given up. Talked to the Old Farts the other day OFFC and they have been hitting it hard with not much to talk about...if surf veterans like that aren't doing well, that's a true indication of the state of our fishery, poor to dismal. I would be remiss in my duties here if I didn't try to raise awareness of this every chance I get.....

But catching drag pulling bass in the rain, when ya can't even see 10 feet in front of ya...(BTW the finchaser rod performed flawlessly, thanks Fin!) fishing by instinct,, and nailing bass on artificials when they're keyed in on bait....that satisfied a primal urge in me so deep I felt like a caveman who discovered fire!!!

A caveman who looks like Mr Magoo....

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    But catching drag pulling bass in the rain, when ya can't even see 10 feet in front of ya...(BTW the finchaser rod performed flawlessly, thanks Fin!) fishing by instinct,, and nailing bass on artificials when they're keyed in on bait....that satisfied a primal urge in me so deep I felt like a caveman who discovered fire!!!

A caveman who looks like Mr Magoo....
    Rocking the Magoo look, keep on trucking dark. Congrats on the 25, nice fish.
    Fished last night in the rain, as you said it was a sloppy mess, got one bass mid teens, rubber.

i just got in from a wet fishing nite no bass but i got more big ling than i have seen in a long time but the big eels were a pain in my backside i got two eels as long as my armbut its all goodthats why its called fishing

Default Lightning kills a good bite...Finchaser shows the younger generation how it's done...

^ Hey G glad to see ya got some action, nothing wrong with catching big ling. They're good eating, and the eels, some people smoke them. Remember that eel we got fishin S Jersey that night? Didn't want to let go of my googan thumb.

Fished with Fin tonight, to try and see if there was a sustained bite from yesterday....there wasn't.
    We saw some bait early on. It gradually disappeared. The rain wasn't bad but the pending lightning seemed to put the fish down. They were in the bottom half of the water column.

Realizing this, we targeted them with bucktails and rubber. Fin had the hot hand, landing one 33" bass around 12-13#, and dropped another. Nothing for me.
    It was nice to see the grouch at his best, pulling fish out of thin air...
    He does have some old skool skilz.

We ended the trip early because of the lightning overhead. Shortest fishin trip I ever made, only 1 1/2 hrs. I didn't realize such trips were possible....

Hey ease up, guys! Rich and I go way back. We enjoy busting each other's balls when we get the chance. That's all it is.

Good skills to you guys out there this fall season!

Congrats on the catches, dark, finchaser and gjb. Dark a 25 lber is a beautiful fish, especially on artificials. You don't see too many of them caught from land this time of year. I see you put in your time and are out there a lot paying your dues. Congratulations on your persistence! Love the comment about Mr Magoo too.
    I was out in nomoco last night, the south wind was bad. I was throwing metal and bucktails, no action. I hate this kind of weather because as you said it dirties up the water. Bring on the NW, and if you get a chance please post up another West Wind Wally video, we miss him.

DS good job on the bass and the release. There is nothing like the thrill of catching a bass on artificials. The bait guys may get bigger, and you can always get some large slinging eels at the rips, but the artificial bite is something special. From the NJ reports I have seen on the internet, a 25lb bass is a nice size for you guys down there.

Don't let him kid ya bassbuddah. The joisey surf has all small fish, a 25 pound stripah is the fish of a lifetime for that stinking smokestack what exit state.
    You can only go downhill from there. He DID say it was a small fish though, so half of a thumbs up. I would much rather see a pic of the smelly waters. The darkskies googan bucket was internet gold. Where is that pic?

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    The joisey surf has all small fish, a 25 pound stripah is the fish of a lifetime for that stinking smokestack what exit state.
    So all the big fish are in Mass now? Aside from the Canal and Race Point, I think NJ has miles more of bettter places to fish. Are you being a MASS-hole, or is that just a Russ Bassdozer article I remember?
    Fished above the park this morning. Got one short bass on metal and teaser. Fish hit the metal. The surf is big and nasty but clearing up ever so slightly. You can get out there with a 27, but a 37 or 47 is good to have with you if there is a big sweep. The area I fished was cut in a little bit so it minimizes the sweep. Also some hickory shad are around, got 2 on the teaser. Not too many other guys out there.

haha masshole basshole i love it! hey dogfish u cant talk about our fish in nj in the spring we get fish to 36lbs on bunker in the back that aint too shabby dude and nj guys had some fish to 54lbs from the jetties this spring. if u ever want to have a contest come down here and well show you how we do it jersey style but dont dump on our state or we will come up there and open a can of woop azx on you.lol
    i fished wit some buds last nite in the back, the water was like coffee bunker was the only thing that worked we got a mess of blue dogs to 8lbs . dark u shud stop by one nite and say whats up, we dont care if u mug us or not haha tite lines dudes and dudettes!

Way to go guys. I have been trying to fish the ocean with all this foam and big waves. Lots of junk nd weeds out there. Been out there in the mornings in the LBI area, last 3 times caught the skunk. Hoping it will get better after the stormy weather passes.

I think a 25 pounder is a fantastic fish, at least to me it is. Catching a fish that big on a lure? Great going darkskies, you and the guys like finchaser here who catch a lot are an inspiration. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinmission78 View Post
    Are you being a MASS-hole, or is that just a Russ Bassdozer article I remember?
    Hey I resemble that remark. And you will address me correctly- it's MR BASSHOLE to any of you joisey googans.

Quote Originally Posted by wish4fish View Post
    . if u ever want to have a contest come down here and well show you how we do it jersey style but dont dump on our state or we will come up there and open a can of woop azx on you.lol
    What w4fish said. Don't diss Jersey!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast