Thread: Defining bait in the water

Threaded View

Some pics of bait that was in the back bays last Fall..
    The first is a needlefish...in this one area there were large needlefish up to 12" on the prowl after smaller baitfish...is it any wonder that folks do so well on needles in the fall?
    Here's some proof as to why.....

The 2nd pic is a poor pic of the thousands of small rainfish and spearing that were around....there was one cove area where I came upon thousands and thousands of them one night.
    These were tiny juveniles....ranging from 1/2 to 2" long....

My flashlight on the water attracted and concentrated them....As I did that some bluefish and bass moved in from deeper water and started hammering them...oblivious to the fact that I was there...but cautiously out of reach on the edges of the shadow line cast by my light on the water....

It was fascinating for me to watch...so I just thought I would share it with you folks......

The 3rd pic I think.....is some spearing that JB sent me...either noticed by him or Blazin........

Some friends mentioned the surf was loaded with spearing a few weeks ago...
    Within 2 nights after that the back bays were loaded with these....according to my logs they were about a month late this year...but definitely a part of the food chain in those areas......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP6001.jpg   IMGP6004.jpg  

5-16-13.jpg