Thread: Let's talk about Full Moon Surf Fishing (and New Moon as well....)

Hybrid View

This is a great thread and I think there are a lot of good points made here.
    I wanted to add some comments about the new moon. Instead of starting a new thread I thought I would add to this one. I've been fishing hard the past week because of the new moon which occurred on Monday August the 1st.

Remember a few things, guys and girls...
    1. The "new moon" or "full moon" is a static date in time, only. It does not signify a magic point.

2. What I'm getting at is that this time period (few days before, few days after) can be one of the most productive for fishing.

3. Lots of guys have a negative bias against the full moon. I will tell you that if you are fishing artificials, and there are phosphorescent jellyfish in the water, it will be a problem for your presentation, and you will be discouraged. However, the same holds true for a new moon. When these jellyfish are around, some type of presentation low in the water column or on the bottom is a better idea.

4. Back to the subject, the moons are good because of higher tides and stronger current. As has been said here, this allows you to fish longer and in areas of structure that otherwise might not hold fish.
    5. While I said the dates are not magical, it is still a great time to fish. You still have to find an area that holds the fish.

6. If you have a busy life, and are pressed for time, if you only went out and fished the 2 nights before and after the full and new moons, you would exponentially increase your odds of catching. Whether you do catch or not, that's up to you and the waters you fish in (which I hope you have chosen carefully)

You won't be doing much surf fishing after the hurricane and this new moon. The beach will be a mess for a few days and could be dangerous. Be safe, folks.

Moon obscured by clouds - pay very close attention to the distinction between this and a full moon in a bright sky, folks...I'll try to add more to this when there is time. Meanwhile, feel free to comment...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    6. If you have a busy life, and are pressed for time, if you only went out and fished the 2 nights before and after the full and new moons, you would exponentially increase your odds of catching. Whether you do catch or not, that's up to you and the waters you fish in (which I hope you have chosen carefully)
    everytime I read one of these threads I am impressed by the wealth of knowledge. Not only do you seem to love everything about fishing, you are not stuck up about sharing it. Thank you for great threads like this. I actually thought the full moon turned off the bite, but then Al McReynolds supposedly caught his trophy on the full moon, so go figure.

^ Me too surferman. Lots of great tips here, and dispelling of myths. New moon coming up next week. My favorite new and full moon cycle is April and May. I have always done well during those months fishing at night.

Full moon with cloud cover has been good to me.
    3 days before & 3 days after are what i focus on

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanFishingMan View Post
    I am hoping for some cloud cover saturday night. They are calling this the super moon, brightest full moon in years.

Default Re: Let's talk about Full Moon Surf Fishing (and New Moon as well....)

Yup and thats what we had last night at the End. It was some good fishing.

full moon fishing cant stand it at all never do well at all

Last year fished Island Beach on the full moon in December, was low tide, was able to wade out to the sand bars and with the the sky being so bright it was awesome being out there. Was my last trip of the season for me, only caught one short but had an incredible time out there fishing cuts, points, troughs and wading out on the bars. Was a great night with the ocean shining from the bright moon and the sky filled with stars. Had not fished there on a night in years, forgot how awesome the place can be at that time.
    Over all catching on full moon nights has been slow for me. The more clouds the better on those nights when the moon is full for me.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Moon obscured by clouds - pay very close attention to the distinction between this and a full moon in a bright sky, folks...I'll try to add more to this when there is time. Meanwhile, feel free to comment...
    I agree with you we should be fishing intensely during this period. I was out last night tho, and the fishing really sucked. Perfect cloud cover and the fish were on vacation. One blue and some hickory shad on bucktail and teaser.

I like new better than full. A double kiss of death in ocean county is when you have a full moon and all that fire in the water whatever that is called. It kills the bite if you are casting when the water is clear. The only way I have been able to combat that and get fish is by throwing bunker or clams so it doesn't move around in the water too much.