Thread: Surf fishing tips 101

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by mick2360 View Post
    When wading flats use your PFD. There are some great models for under $200. If you need it, your life is in danger. I lost one friend a couple of years ago, wading a beach he knew like the back of his hand. A needless tragedy.
    I would have made fun of a guy wearing a pfd wading the flats, until I saw that your friend died. I guess it's a good idea when you go out near the channels or river mouths.

If you see a Bass blitz, don't jump in the middle of a hundred guys especially at M. Watch them to see where they are going and meet them there. Even better is waiting for the bass blitz to move on and throw on a bucktail for the big lazy ones straggling behind the young punks and picking up their mess.

In rocky areas, flouro leaders get nicked up and are more visible than mono. Save your money and start with mono or even Perlon.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankiesurf View Post
    In rocky areas, flouro leaders get nicked up and are more visible than mono. Save your money and start with mono or even Perlon.
    Good point. I nicked up line does not catch as many fish and may even 'sound' different as the abrasions catch the water. I haven't used perlon....what am I missing?

Very abrasive and bluefish resistant

This is more important if you fish a long way from your car or truck.
    It is important to have a good set of pliers with strong wire cutters. If you get a hook stuck in yourself you have to be able to cut it off.
    Also if you are just going for a little while in the afternoon bring your flashlight anyway. You could get in on a good bite that lasts after dark.

Default Nasty, blood sucking flies

If you wear shorts when the hot, humid months arrive and the breeze is off the land that brings those damn biting flies that treat your legs like they were spare ribs- carry a pair of lightweight nylon slip on pants. They only weigh 2ozs., dry fast and fold into a pocket and most of the time will protect your legs. It will turn a miserable morning into a tolerable one. I have seen grown men run off the beach in agony from these flies, leaving an area void, except for myself. Hey, ya know what, I like plugging solo, forget about bringing those pants, just wear shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    I would have made fun of a guy wearing a pfd wading the flats, until I saw that your friend died. I guess it's a good idea when you go out near the channels or river mouths.
    CH, I'm with you, man. It'll always be a mystery but all it takes is one misstep in fast water. He was fishing alone in the dark. A very fit, smart man. And yes, I get my share of comments and have never had to rely on my pfd yet. On the other hand, I have fished water where if I fell, I would be swept along to wherever i could get my balance again. Cramps, heart, a lung full of water? Who knows? It can and does happen. Be careful.