I have learned from Finchaser, that there is more to building a rod than just putting a name on it. I have looked at some St Croix's, lamiglas, and other high end rods lately. When looking at a rod blank, each one has a spline down the shaft. A lot of the rods i have checked were not built on the spline which is the strongest part of the rod. From what Fin has shown me and taught me, a rod not built on the spline will twist on casts and you don't even see it. Also, you stand the chance of breakage which is common on high end rods. That is why a custom builder will add more guides, make sure it's built on the spline for accuracy and durability, and very important - balance the rod for you. That way your arms are not fighting to hold the rod tip up. It will naturally rest in your hands eliminating arm and shoulder fatigue. To spend $400 bucks on a rod that may not be built correctly or should I say precisely, imo woudl be crazy. I certainly would find a rod that I like or a couple of them. Then talk to finchaser and get a price from him on building it. I promise you will be happier and very pleased that you made the decision to do it that way.